ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465516
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The Bible was written by people, not God, so some small details like that may be inaccurate.

How can you be sure anything in the Bible is accurate?

I believe that He formed everything over time and 7 days is a metaphor.

A metaphor for what and how do you distinguish the difference between what is and is not metaphor?

Religious fundamentalists are commonly known as terrorists, of which I am not.

A fundamentalist is just someone who holds a strict adherence to the theological doctrines they subscribe to. If that makes them a terrorist I would say that is telling of what those doctrines teach.

So when people try to disprove God using "evidence" from inconsistencies found in the Bible, I just get a little annoyed.

Peoples ideas of what and who God is, is based on this book. If we are not to go by what the Bible says then what are we to go on? Claiming God did X we can use evidence to either support or refute that claim.
grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

he Bible was written by people, not God, so some small details like that may be inaccurate.

Did you read the bible? It's contradicting itself constantly...

Religious fundamentalists are commonly known as terrorists,

No, that's not true. For example what about fundamentalist Jainists?
shanester
shanester
33 posts
Peasant

ok everyone who cares osama died so none of this matters that much

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

ok everyone who cares osama died so none of this matters that much

I think you got the wrong thread.
vesperbot
vesperbot
955 posts
Nomad

But pride is uncontrollable. Having sex with is a controllable urge. There is a difference.
You're wrong here, pride can be also intimidated as with lust. Or you can instead be proud of God.
If this was the case then it would be so instinctively.
If this will be an instinct, we wouldn't have free will, and will be like animals, who praise God by their existance.
But really all you have is what humans are claiming to be God's way.
You don't believe that what is revealed by God is true, therefore you claim this. You can, but then this is an end to this dialogue.
Did you read the bible? It's contradicting itself constantly...
Name me a major contradiction in the Bible that affects words of God. Note that NT came after OT, so Bible is stating NT's superiority.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

If this will be an instinct, we wouldn't have free will, and will be like animals, who praise God by their existance.

And laying down commandments and saying believe or burn is free will? What we do naturally you call sin, so what we do apparently against our free will by nature is some how wrong.

You don't believe that what is revealed by God is true, therefore you claim this. You can, but then this is an end to this dialogue.

Name one thing that didn't come from or get filtered through a human. So long as your sources are subjective it's just a human making a claim, which you say is blasphemy. I wish you would knock off the excuses to justify that twisted disconnect from reality you call your religion.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

And laying down commandments and saying believe or burn is free will?

Just because you don't belive the religon doesn't mean you will burn in hell.
ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

Bible reference please; I need to know for sure.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

UGH. How about a priest reference. You guys do reilixe that christians go to mass too right. And that we don't sit at home and learn our religon from reading the bible. Well, catholics do. I think you're refering to protestants who have a more strict adherence to the bible. And i have a real question that's been bugging me. If other people can only pick out bad stuff from the bible, why shouldn't christians be able to pick only good stuff?

ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

Then what do protestants get their sources from?

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

??? I'm catholic, and haven't taken the time to learn about protestants. So... Maybe we need to find a protestant to tell us.

ZipperedVenus42
ZipperedVenus42
185 posts
Nomad

That's what I was wondering. I come from a protestant family, and we have a bible at our house. However, my parents (I'm atheist) go to church very infrequently.

I'm pretty sure that the only piece of "evidence" of Christianity is the Bible.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Well, then i'm supposeing that's for protestants. But as far as i know cathloics go to church, alot. I know i must have spent more then a hundread hours in church.

grimml
grimml
879 posts
Nomad

Okay, I'll only post some contradictions because there are too many

JOH 10:30 I and my Father are one.

JOH 14:28 Ye have heard how I said unto you, I go away, and come again unto you. If ye loved me, ye would rejoice, because I said, I go unto the Father: for my Father is greater than I.

--------------

ISA 14:21 Prepare slaughter for his children for the iniquity of their fathers; that they do not rise, nor possess the land, nor fill the face of the world with cities.

DEU 24:16 The fathers shall not be put to death for the children, neither shall the children be put to death for the fathers: every man shall be put to death for his own sin.

-------------

MAT 27:46,50: "And about the ninth hour Jesus cried with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, eli, lama sabachthani?" that is to say, "My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me?" ...Jesus, when he cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost."

LUK 23 "And when Jesus had cried with a loud voice, he said, "Father, unto thy hands I commend my spirit:" and having said thus, he gave up the ghost."

JOH 19 "When Jesus therefore had received the vinegar, he said, "It is finished:" and he bowed his head, and gave up the ghost."
--------------
Source
If you want some more just google it. And I think Mage or somebody else posted a pretty good video about contradictions.

qwerty1011
qwerty1011
554 posts
Peasant

You're wrong here, pride can be also intimidated as with lust. Or you can instead be proud of God.

Lust is an action which can be controlled. Pride is an emotion which is unstoppable.

We are animals. We just have highly developed instincts

How was this revealed.

Then why be christian.
Showing 1456-1470 of 4668