ForumsWEPRTheism and Atheism

4668 1465511
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I grew up atheist for 16 years. I had always kept an open mind towards religion, but never really felt a need to believe in it. My sister started going to a Wednesday night children's program at a church. Eventually, I was dragged into a Christmas Eve service. Scoffing, I reluctantly went, assuming that this was going to be a load of crap, but when I went, I felt something. Something that I've never felt before. I felt a sense of empowerment and a sense of calling. Jesus called upon my soul, just like he did with his disciples. he wanted me to follow him. Now, my life is being lived for Christ. He died on the cross for my sins, and the sins of everyone who believes in him. He was beaten, brutalized, struck with a whip 39 times, made to carry a cross up to the stage of his death. This I believe to be true, and I can never repay him for what he has done.
I still have my struggles with Christianity, but I've found this bit of information most useful. Religion is not comprehensible in the human mind, because we cannot comprehend the idea of a perfect and supreme being, a God, but we can believe it in our heart, and that's the idea of faith. Faith is, even though everything rides against me believing in Jesus, I still believe in him because I know that it's true in my heart. I invite my fellow Brothers and sisters of the LORD to talk about how Jesus has helped you in your life. No atheists and no insults please

• 4,668 Replies
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Really? I've heard that Protestants have a more strict adherece to the bible.

There are a wide range of denominations within the protestant beliefs. Some can be very conservative and some can be very liberal. In fact some of the most diverse denominations are within the Protestant branch of Christianity.

So it's even right? Because as you ingnore the good we ignore the bad.

I said I look at it as a whole, that means not ignoring the good stuff or the bad stuff. It would be foolish to do either.

I think that the main problem is that since some churchs support different things. Some of which are wrong. I think we all need to support the same right thing.

How do you make that determination?

Actually, we look at it and yell "Wow. That is inconsistent and violent." while you go "NANANNA I AM NOT LIGHTNING!"

Did God just smite someone there?

Most people just do what you do, and ignore the bad. People take there own morals and then apply them to the book. They are not really getting morals from the Bible, they are putting their morals into it.

Yes, dair5 your much more moral then your God.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I got my morals from my religon. The Ten Commandments. These were my basic. Of course i needed to put in my own thinking for specific situations because ten rules can't cover everything.

314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

I got my morals from my religon. The Ten Commandments. These were my basic. Of course i needed to put in my own thinking for specific situations because ten rules can't cover everything.

So what tells you "Thought shalt not kill" is good? Do you just go "Well, I used to think killing was Ok, but then I read the bible and was like 'Wow! Killing is actually bad!"? I doupt it. Why do you follow some of the more logical ones (Like don't kill [Though this is a pretty stiff rule to fallow]) while saying that some are bad, like when the Bible tells you to stone homosexuals? It is yourself. You are putting your own morals, like killing is bad, into the book rather than taking anything out of it.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm. Well it's never like I thought it was okay, I was very young when i learned about it. But I'm sure i got turning the other cheek from the bible. Of course this is different from self-defence because letting people kill you is almost never the right solution.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Of course this is different from self-defence because letting people kill you is almost never the right solution.

Why not? You get to go to Heaven and they get to be Bubba's "special friend" in prison.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Well lets say I'm planning to help further research cures. should i let a guy kill me for a quick thrill. Or, let him go to jail. Hopefully he'll come out better. But when people are willing to kill it's rare. The situation i meant was in place of someone else's life. Because who knows what they could be. There's a good chance they'll do better then me.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Well lets say I'm planning to help further research cures.

Why bother? Your just delaying a persons chance to get into Heaven, just having them suffer and giving them a greater chance to mess up and miss their chance at Heaven entirely.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Hmmm. Well it's never like I thought it was okay, I was very young when i learned about it. But I'm sure i got turning the other cheek from the bible. Of course this is different from self-defence because letting people kill you is almost never the right solution.

Like I said in the brackets, the rule is to stiff and absolute. You are not getting your morals from that rule, or you would not kill at all, in any situation. Morally, it is of course OK to kill in self defense. But your ten rules do not say "You don't kill, except in self defense." they say "Don't kill people". You are applying your own morals, such as it is bad to kill except for certain situations, and then applying them to the Bible.

Well lets say I'm planning to help further research cures.

Why? Not only, if you where correct, would the diseases be the cause of god, but it would help some Christians get to their paradise faster. And on top of that, you could just use a level 5 paladin move and lay on hands, healing them, instead of doing science.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Well then that's like saying we should just kill everyone. see what i did there. Kill. We shouldn't. Besides just because there is a paradise doesn't mean you shouldn't make life on earth enjoyable. What's wrong with living a good life here.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Sorry for the double post but...

you could just use a level 5 paladin move and lay on hands, healing them, instead of doing science.

I like science.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

they say "Don't kill people".

Actually it doesn't even say that much. It just says "Do not murder," "Thou shalt not kill," depending on which version you go with.
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Well then that's like saying we should just kill everyone. see what i did there. Kill. We shouldn't. Besides just because there is a paradise doesn't mean you shouldn't make life on earth enjoyable. What's wrong with living a good life here.

Why live a good life here when paradise is one cancer away? Why shouldn't we? Wouldn't the Christians like to see their god?

I like science.

Then apply that to your religion. It fails the test of burden of proof, has no objective evidence, and is simply idiotic.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Besides just because there is a paradise doesn't mean you shouldn't make life on earth enjoyable.

Most enjoyable things here are sins. What's the point if we can just get things over with here and get to that paradise sooner?
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Killing, stealing, and being jelous are enjoyable?

Then apply that to your religion. It fails the test of burden of proof, has no objective evidence, and is simply idiotic.

Why can't I live in a world where science and religon don't fight?
314d1
314d1
3,817 posts
Nomad

Killing, stealing, and being jelous are enjoyable?

Nope, but having sex is.

Why can't I live in a world where science and religon don't fight?

Because religion is the enemy of science. This will happen one day, when religion is dead. Until then, the fact that religion is making **** up that we don't know, that is the opposite of science and shalt be treated as such.
Showing 1486-1500 of 4668