ForumsThe TavernGreek Mythology

63 12535
jets99
jets99
599 posts
Nomad

I LOVE greek mythology if any one else does here is a place to talk about it.

• 63 Replies
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

he was just horny

That as well.
When Hera gave birth to Hephaestus, Zeus threw him off the top of Mount Olympus because of his repulsive appearance.

Yeah pretty funny. It makes me wonder.... if every kid Zeus had with a mortal became an awesome hero and the one kid he has with Hera was ugly why he wasnt cheating more. XD
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

why he wasnt cheating more.

He did that a LOT. And not all of them became awesome heroes. And Heracles powers did not come from Zeus. It's a long story, but to summarize it, it came from Hera's breast milk.

A list of his children, as well as their mothers

Also, want to know something funny about Zeus' wife, Hera? She was also his sister. There's a surprising amount of incest in Greek mythology.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I knew he had alot but wow I can see why Hera was mad.

Also, want to know something funny about Zeus' wife, Hera? She was also his sister. There's a surprising amount of incest in Greek mythology.

Yeah weren't most of the pantheon born of Gia then eaten by their dad?
iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

Yeah weren't most of the pantheon born of Gia then eaten by their dad?

I think so. Some oracle told him his son would overthrow him and take his place, so he ate them all, only his wife tricked him and hid one of the kids and gave him a rock in a blanket instead. Or something like that. Very, very weird stuff.
CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I like how he didnt notice it was a rock. XD

35kdog
35kdog
5 posts
Nomad

I feel sorry for Orphieus

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

I feel sorry for Orphieus

Orpheus? If you're going to feel sorry for someone from their mythology at least pick Prometheus or Sisyphus or someone who is purported to truly have suffered.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

Well, Orpheus lost his wife to Hades. That's sad, even though it's not physical suffering.

35kdog
35kdog
5 posts
Nomad

Orpheus lost his wife on the day of his wedding!

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Sisyphus has to keep failing at a simple task for the rest of eternity.

MRWalker82
MRWalker82
4,005 posts
Shepherd

Orpheus lost his wife on the day of his wedding!

Precisely! I say Hades was doing the poor schmuck a favor. Anyone who's been married can probably empathize... Now Prometheus, there is a guy we should feel sorry for! He stole the fire from the Gods and gave it to Man so we would have the use of fire, and for his trouble he was chained to cliff where birds would eat him alive, every day, and he could never die. Eternal suffering even worse than what Yahweh could dish out.
Einfach
Einfach
1,448 posts
Nomad

He stole the fire from the Gods and gave it to Man so we would have the use of fire, and for his trouble he was chained to cliff where birds would eat him alive, every day, and he could never die. Eternal suffering even worse than what Yahweh could dish out.

Yeah but he got saved by Hercules, if I remember correctly.
Demarius
Demarius
160 posts
Peasant

I love the story of the 300 spartans.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

I love the story of the 300 spartans

Actually that was no myth. 300 spartans did fight a ton of persians while the rest of greece got ready.
tegan190
tegan190
783 posts
Nomad

Greek mythology really interests me. I love how they all represent different things and each have different powers. Speaking of mythology, has anyone played Age of Mythology?

Showing 16-30 of 63