ForumsThe TavernKids cutting themselves...

63 10097
jabello11
jabello11
721 posts
Nomad

Hello there. I do not want to say the ages of these kids or the names... So please bear with me as I tell you what has been happening in my school/life.

In my school I now know that a bunch of girls cut themselves because they feel sad. These where some of the responses I got back from asking them why did they do it.

well... the pain on the inside is to bad so i cut my slef to make me feel better

I know that others do it so that way i do it too.

well my boyfriend makes me sad so that is why I do it.

i do it because i am addicted to it

When they responded with those replies I felt a little sick to my stomach and my mind was hurting. I said that cutting themselves is no awenser to any problem. They then said that it was because it took the emotional pain away by hurting themselves. I said that is just pain x2...

So community, can you please give me any advice on how to help people stop or how to explain to them that it is not the best way to cope with pain. Also my mind hurts when i think that it makes them feel better so do you have any suggestions to help that too? Any help is good for me. And also. Please be serious.
  • 63 Replies
VinceNeille
VinceNeille
139 posts
Shepherd

In my school I now know that a bunch of girls cut themselves because they feel sad.

Sadness is feeling, just as any other; happiness, angry, etc.. If the case is that they cut themselves most times that there sad, they may need to see professional help.

well... the pain on the inside is to bad so i cut my slef to make me feel better

I know that others do it so that way i do it too.

well my boyfriend makes me sad so that is why I do it.

i do it because i am addicted to it

As well as you, I've gotten some of these answers as well. Trying to talk with them and discuss what they're going through can work at times because they do feel that they have someone who cares about them, but as I said, "Sadness is feeling, just as any other.." Seeing that helping them like this may work at times, the fact that they cut themselves can every time they're sad, trying to help them can become repetitive. This is where professional help comes in.
Going to them unannounced and with feeling of "You need help..Now," might make things worse as sometimes they feel that they might not need help and become defensive. I speak in general when I say that to them, it's a good way of coping with most of there problems. Going to them with a calming attitude will present a more presentable approach.

If I'm wrong, let me know.
divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

Well, this is a sad thread. They should probably see a shrink or the guidance counsler. I wouldn't even think about doing that 'cause it's just going to cause more pain.

Foraker
Foraker
100 posts
Nomad

Sadness is feeling, just as any other; happiness, angry, etc..

But extreme depressions are another thing.
That self-cutting is called Borderline.
But not many ppl are real Borderliners if they cut themselves.
Often, they just want to be noticed by other ppl.
Showing 61-63 of 63