ForumsThe TavernThe Red Pill or the Blue Pill?

75 10583
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

This is a very common debate and chances are there has been a thread on this before now. So the question is, which pill would you take? According to wikipedia, the red pill represents the choice of embracing the sometimes painful truth of reality, and the blue pill represents the choice of blissful ignorance of illusion.

Some background, In the movie, the world has been taken over by computers and the computers have put every human in to the Matrix, a virtual prison that people don't realize they are in and that doesn't seem to differ to the world we live in. In the Matrix, Neo (the main character) is told that he is actually imprisoned and has to chose between taking the blue pill and staying in the Matrix, forget he was ever told that he is actually imprisoned in it and to go on with his daily life like nothing has ever happened, or to choose the red pill and he will wake up in the real world having to face the harsh truth of reality.

If i had to chose, i would be the idiot who downed both pills.

Just kidding, I would take the red pill, It's a disturbing feeling knowing that you are choosing to completely ignore what is actually going on because you are to afraid to face it.

• 75 Replies
marcosca7
marcosca7
12 posts
Nomad

blue...red would be a real bummer

Bluydee
Bluydee
3,426 posts
Nomad

I would take neither, since if you live in a virtual world, the pills must be also virtual, therefore making the question virtual.

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

I would take neither, since if you live in a virtual world, the pills must be also virtual, therefore making the question virtual.

Very smart answer indeed. I second his answer.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

No it's not, the pills aren't really pills, they just represent the choices, and a virtual question is still a question.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

I'd take the red pill. It seems wrong to think that you want to live your life in ignorance.

Nightfang21
Nightfang21
117 posts
Nomad

I would definatly take the red pill. Yay! Just in case that stuff does happen to us I'm sure the rebels would be glad to know they have this many allies here.

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

I would take blue. I mean you can't remember that there is some lie and your life is pretty good in the Matrix right.

too bad you don't get superpowers inside of the Matrix. Neo flying skills!!!!

deadhead50
deadhead50
341 posts
Nomad

ok right when someone confronts me that my whole life's a lie id prolly go insane, but given the choice id take the redpill, i hate humdrum lives (like the one i have now) and a chance for change would be great. I couldn't live with myself taking the bluepill and would prolly end up drowned in a river somewhere if i took the blue. I would HAVE to take the red one.

DarthNerd
DarthNerd
1,761 posts
Nomad

I was going to say nethier. Not because of the smart awnser about them not being real, but because of this: I would know there is an outside world out there, but still live the dream. Then i would take the red pill and grind it till its a powder, do the same with a purple, put them in water, and stir till its a nice mix drink. Then give the drink to some one i know but dont like.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

the blue pill would be a waste of an entire box office hit movie series. of course I would go with the red pill.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

I would take the blue pill. Think about it.
Some people live their entire lives in states of delusion, and it makes them happier. Take religion, for example. Assuming that there is no tithing, people often live their whole lives under the delusion that there is a god/gods, and it makes them happier to believe that. Also, we tell our kids lies about Santa Claus, don't we? That's an illusion as well, but it makes them much happier to believe that there's a jolly old man at the North Pole giving them presents every Christmas, instead of their parents. Sure, the Santa Claus illusion is eventually seen through by everyone, but suppose that an illusion was kept up indefinitely,that you never knew the truth? You'd be happier. And in truth, what is life but the pursuit of happiness? We measure how "good" our lives are by how happy we are, and even if the real world is crashing down around our ears, even if our real bodies are in extreme duress and being sucked lifeless by machines, if we feel happy due to some delusion, then we are happy. And in essence, that's what every person strives for(even someone who helps other people is, in the end, doing it so they can feel better about themselves).
You know what they say: ignorance is bliss. And what you don't know, can't hurt you. Of course I'd go with the blue pill, living a life of ignorant bliss and happiness, instead of a life of harsh reality, living in constant fear and discomfort.
If someone invented a machine that could recreate any world you wanted, a new you, anything, but it was all a delusion, but you could manipulate this imaginary world any way you wanted, I guarantee you that would be the end of humanity. Because in the end, we're all just looking for quality of life. And the illusion of "quality of life" is not an illusion in the end, because the feelings experienced through such an illusion are real, and the feelings are what matter, not what caused them.
I know it's kind of hard to understand, and I'm not articulating it very well. But there you go.

bravehawk204
bravehawk204
349 posts
Nomad

I would embrace the painful truth because I want to know whats right.

gbnxc
gbnxc
190 posts
Nomad

I would also pick the red pill.. i would hate the fact that everything i know is a lie

Sparkytrick1
Sparkytrick1
100 posts
Nomad

I'd take a six tylenol and pass out.

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

Well taking both may cause a paradox so I have to chose. Well red pill it is real life is way better than computer generated.

Showing 61-75 of 75