ForumsWEPRSuicide

262 71623
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,444 posts
Jester

Is it ever acceptable?
Is it cowardice or a cry for help?
Some cultures accepted it as something of honor (namely the Japanese military in WWII). Others condemned it (namely the ancient Spartans).
Share your thoughts and opinions here.

• 262 Replies
SwordGamesxD
SwordGamesxD
27 posts
Nomad

How so? In some situations, it's quite an honourable thing to do, and in others it can end a whole lot of pain and suffering.

At least in my religion, yes, is the worst thing you can do.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

At least in my religion, yes, is the worst thing you can do.

And what is your religion? just curious.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

And why should your religion have any bearing on reality when, to be honest, almost every religion is grounded firmly outside of it?

frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

And why should your religion have any bearing on reality when, to be honest, almost every religion is grounded firmly outside of it?

Don't go beating up on this person's religion. You should be ashamed of yourself.

And you just admitted that your religion is not at all realilistic.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Don't go beating up on this person's religion. You should be ashamed of yourself.

I'm not ashamed for a single second - I don't think religious beliefs should factor into this because, quite clearly, any religion that wants to survive and propagate itself is going to promote the idea that followers shouldn't die unless it's in the process of converting other people/killing heretics and heathens.

1, Realistic* Lrn2spel
2. I'm not religious, I'm an Atheist, so there.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

he has a good point.and he never said that his religion was not realistic,he said that many are not realistic. why should he be ashamed of himself??? he gave his opinion.you gave your opinion,does that mean that killersup's gonna tell you that you should be ashamed of yourself?no.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

I'm not ashamed for a single second - I don't think religious beliefs should factor into this because, quite clearly, any religion that wants to survive and propagate itself is going to promote the idea that followers shouldn't die unless it's in the process of converting other people/killing heretics and heathens.

Well, at least in Christianity, suicide is considered a sin because you're ending your life without enduring the neccesary pain that comes out of living. They made it so that if people wanted to commit suicide to escape having to endure life, they would not do so because they would go straight to Hell.

1, Realistic* Lrn2spel

You tell me to spell correctly, then put a serious spelling error in your writing directly afterwards? What a hypocrite.

I'm not religious, I'm an Atheist, so there.

Atheists are the most religious people I know. Everything you accuse reiligious people of doing, you do yourself. The only true non-religion is Agnoctisim, which I am a member of.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

he has a good point.and he never said that his religion was not realistic,he said that many are not realistic. why should he be ashamed of himself??? he gave his opinion.you gave your opinion,does that mean that killersup's gonna tell you that you should be ashamed of yourself?no.

He sold his opinion as a fact by saying, "quite honestly".
He should keep his opinion as an opinion.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Well, at least in Christianity, suicide is considered a sin because you're ending your life without enduring the neccesary pain that comes out of living. They made it so that if people wanted to commit suicide to escape having to endure life, they would not do so because they would go straight to Hell.

Actually, the idea of suicide being a sin g=PA16&dq=early+christian+suicides+augustine&ei=75SpSb_FAZW6M6H_zbsI#v=onepage&q=early%20christian%20suicides%20augustine&f=false">probably wasn't added until a fair while after Christianity was established, because what else do you expect when you tell your followers that they can live forever in eternal bliss?

You tell me to spell correctly, then put a serious spelling error in your writing directly afterwards? What a hypocrite.

You're new to the internet, aren't you?

Atheists are the most religious people I know. Everything you accuse reiligious people of doing, you do yourself. The only true non-religion is Agnoctisim, which I am a member of.

How so? And I never stated whether I was a strong or a weak atheist - merely that I was an Atheist. Besides that - I trust you know the meaning of the word atheism, right?

A - without/none
Theism - belief in god or gods.
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

If I'd have been stating it as fact then I would have said 'in fact' - 'quite honestly' relates much more closely to ones own opinion and the stating of such (one could consider it synonymous with 'in my honest opnion' than it is with 'in fact' or 'factually speaking'.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I'm not religious, I'm an Atheist, so there.

yeah, that figures.

1, Realistic* Lrn2spel
You tell me to spell correctly, then put a serious spelling error in your writing directly afterwards? What a hypocrite

you can apparently not see what he was trying to do,he was trying to make a funny.see,haha.also suddenly you are accusing people of being hypocrites....that is definelty gonna help you.

Flag
He should keep his opinion as an opinion.

yeah,"quite honestly" you take things way to direct.people say "quite honestly" when they are honestly trying to say their opinion.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

If I'd have been stating it as fact then I would have said 'in fact' - 'quite honestly' relates much more closely to ones own opinion and the stating of such (one could consider it synonymous with 'in my honest opnion' than it is with 'in fact' or 'factually speaking'.

people say "quite honestly" when they are honestly trying to say their opinion.

I did not know that! Thank you for clearing things up for me. I apologize for the misunderstanding.
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Flag
people say "quite honestly" when they are honestly trying to say their opinion.
I did not know that! Thank you for clearing things up for me. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

well....that worked out really.....well.....hmmm.killersup just noticed how off topic killersup,frodo, and arvore was....better get back on topic...hmmm.
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

The only true non-religion is Agnoctisim, which I am a member of.

sooo if agnoctism is a religion...
where is the church (or other house thingy to pray in)?
where do you "sign up"? or can anyone be a member whitout even knowing what it means by just saying "i am a member of".

tbh, you made my day xD.
frodo86
frodo86
474 posts
Shepherd

sooo if agnoctism is a religion...

Agnoctism is not a religion.

where is the church (or other house thingy to pray in)?

There is none. There is no god in Agnocticism, so there is no praying.

where do you "sign up"? or can anyone be a member whitout even knowing what it means by just saying "i am a member of".

Yes, you can, but it would be best to know what it is first.

tbh, you made my day xD.

Good for you.
Showing 136-150 of 262