Ops sorry I messed up on the infromation
Bic:
Ticonderoga:
[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixon_Ticonderoga_Company]

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I'll probably stick with all these Faber-Castell pencils in my drawer.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Let's get serious about pencils..

http://www.pencils.com/sites/default/files/pages_content/lead_grade_swatches.jpg

Here's a sample of a pencil graphite grading scale. Although HB is the most common type and hence the most often used by myself, I enjoy 4B. Sometimes, you don't mind if it smudges.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

The smoothness of the black ticonderoga will always prevail in comparison to the precision of mechanical.

http://static.www.odcdn.com/pictures/us/od/sk/lg/309643_sk_lg.jpg

Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

@ Knight - I'm a HB/2B myself.

Ticonderoga wins everytime, bic mechanical are hard to use, you can't lean hard or it breaks (very easily) It's more annoyance than anything.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

When taking notes, and during class, I prefer Mechanical Pencils. They stay 'sharp' all the time, and I can write faster with them. Sharpness is really important to me, because I naturally write small. Dull lead would make the lines too big, and then I'd just have a smudge instead of words.

When I do my doodles, I use a Carpenters Pencil, or a Mechanical Pencil. I used to have one that drew around a 4H, but I dunno what happened to it.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Hmmm... I've always used non-mechanical pencils because they seem less of a hassle. Mechanical pencils always seem to break a run out of lead fast. Regular pencils don't break as easily. My math teacher (awesomest teacher ever) gave me a Ticonderoga (my first one ever) and it was exceptional.

So, I'm going with Ticongeroga.

Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,487 posts
Blacksmith

those bics always break because of the fact they are made of cheap plastic. wood and real lead wins everytime. I will go with the ticonderoga.

Turtelman1234
Turtelman1234
2,911 posts
Nomad

I prefer mechanical. I used to have a problem with breaking the lead, but then I went to .7 mm lead ( I don't know what that translates to on Knight's table, but that's the most common I've seen). With .7, I'm able to write heavy and push hard on the paper, I've got really stiff and tense hands, so I can't help but write heavy and really dark.

Although the wooden pencil brand the OP gave is amazing. That was what I used until I discovered mechanical pencils, and they worked great. The only problem is, is if you eff up on sharpening them the first time, it stays effed up unless to just cut the exposed wood part completely off and it's a perfectly clean cut.

idontsuckthatmuch
idontsuckthatmuch
2,261 posts
Nomad

I usually use wooden pencils. The problem is: I have crappy pencil-sharpening skills, and after I sharpen my pencil, when I go back to write, it breaks when I try to write the first letter. And to add to my pencil woes, I lose my pencils very frequently, and I go through more than 75 or so pencils every school year.

I still use wooden pencils, though, because I press down pretty hard on the paper when I write, and that breaks the thin lead on mechanical pencils.

deathopper
deathopper
1,564 posts
Nomad

I don't mind either one of them. You can hand me both and I'd gladly take them (hey, free pencils!). But if I had to choose I'd choose the Ticonderago. I tend to get bored in class and start playing around with the mechanical pencil. I'd take it apart and when I'd try to put it back together I manage to break it (I somehow always block something and the lead won't come out). Even if I fail at sharpening the god**** pencil and lose it around 5 billion times. I'll still pick the Ticanderago (that must be a hassle to say!).

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

I like Ticonderoga Pencils better because they're stronger, unlike the Mechanical Pencils. I mean the Mechanical ones break so easily, like if I accidently drop one it breaks within one drop, even if it's a small drop. But Ticonderoga Pencils take force to break it (Not sure why you would want to break it.) But it's a lot stronger and better.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

and after I sharpen my pencil, when I go back to write, it breaks when I try to write the first letter. And to add to my pencil woes, I lose my pencils very frequently, and I go through more than 75 or so pencils every school year

Lol, learn how to not lose your pencil. I had to at some point. It also took me a while to perfect my pencil sharpening technique.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Ticonderoga when you want something reliable that can take abuse like for writing on wood. BMP when you want to write something on paper.

One time I got a cheap (as in non-Ticonderoga) wood pencil with NO GRAPHITE. I stood there sharpening it for like a minute and was like "?!?!" lol

daleks
daleks
3,766 posts
Chamberlain

I agree with GentlemanClam that mechanical pencils will break to easily. Also the lead likes to fall out even though I am using the right size. Ticonderoga all the way!

Showing 1-15 of 54