ForumsThe TavernBigfoot, Sasquatch and others

71 8432
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Are there any of you on this forum who have seen a Sasquatch, Bigfoot, Yeti, or any other such creature (or, for that matter, any other Cryptid?). Personally, I haven't yet, but the subject interests me and I would like to here any stories you have.

Please, no bull, no lies, and let's not allow this to degenerate into an argument about wether they're real or not or if they're related to man in any way. This is just for sightings.

• 71 Replies
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Oh, and to stay on topic, I did have a sighting of a potential cryptoid; well it was just a species of fly I've never seen before; but it looked similar to a Drosophila, just ten times bigger. Maybe it's an exemple of gigantism?? XD

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

There's this show on animal planet called lost tapes

I've seen that show. At first it seems real, but if you look closer it's all hypothetical situations made with computers. If the videos were actually real, there would be almost indisputable evidence of every cryptid right in that half hour program. I think that a documentary and a B-grade horror flick fell into a vat of toxic waste and Lost Tapes was the result. It's shtick.

And concerning the bear thing, pickpocket said it, from a distance you wouldn't see many difference.

Many times, one of the test given to people who think they've seen Bigfoot is showing them photos or actual mock-ups at the correct range of a standing bear, and they almost always point out that what they saw was wider at the shoulders, had a larger, more pronounced head, and were usually taller. I'm willing to accept that some sightings are misidentification, but there are some that simply can't be explained away with bears or chimps.
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

When it comes to things like Big Foot, Nessie, etc. the only &quotroof" that has surfaced has all been disproved. Pictures are faked and/or edited, videos turn out to be some other kind of animal, footprints are man-made, etc.

However, there is still a chance that they could exist. There are fish that were thought to be extinct for millions of years that scientists have found within the past century. The Okapi was thought to be folklore but has been discovered to be real.

The planet is so huge and there is so little of it that we have actually explored. Scientists are discovering new plants and animals all the time, so the possibilities are definitely out there.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

I'm willing to accept that some sightings are misidentification, but there are some that simply can't be explained away with bears or chimps.

There are other ways to 'antropomorphise' things on pictures for example.. I admit that if someone says he saw something like a big ape, it's hard to say if he's making it up or not. But some people see for example pictures of the surface of mars and see a face on it. or this picture here is supposed to show the Yeti:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2a/Wooldridge.jpg
We tend to recognize familiar shapes in specks or formations that could be it, it lies in many animals nature.

The planet is so huge and there is so little of it that we have actually explored. Scientists are discovering new plants and animals all the time, so the possibilities are definitely out there.

The surface isn't a closed book anymore, we know almost nothing about the deep sea but we know quite a lot about our own habitate.
Of course we haven't discovered everything, but there are a few factors that make big humanoid existences pretty improbable:
- they're big
- they would leave quite a lot of traces, feces, their impact on local wildlife should be recordable (if they hunt for example)
- the population size; to live secretely, they should be restricted to a few families spread over the world, but it is completely impossible for a group of a size of even a few hundreds to subside over time. To survive, they should be much more, and then we definitely would know them
- the fact tales about bigfoots and yetis are known worldwide, but if it was so widely spread, like stated above, we probably would have discovered at least one population.
- primates are primarily social animals, most sightings however describe a single individuum aimlessly walking around

jayjay9 stated to have seen something big and hairy walking up a hill in Switzerland. Our country is so densely populated however that I can safely state, it is impossible that it was a bigfoot.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

No yeti man. Those specs r snow leaperds. And the "claw markings" on the tree r actualy from a rhino scraching it's horn on a tree. No yeti, the attacks were proven to be bears.
I agree with hahiha, there r so many people, something that big could not live here with out us noticing. Small lizards r one thing, big hairy apes r another

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I agree with hahiha, there r so many people, something that big could not live here with out us noticing.

Don't be too sure. We know more about the Moon than our own planet. With the unplumbed depths of the sea and unpenetrated jungles and forest still in supply, cryptids are still entirely possible.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Don't be too sure. We know more about the Moon than our own planet. With the unplumbed depths of the sea and unpenetrated jungles and forest still in supply, cryptids are still entirely possible.

We know very few things about the deep sea, but I dare to say we know a lot of things about the places we inhabit. Maybe not the deepest jungle but hey, how many bigfoot sightings have there been there? None? I think all other sightings are improbable (not excluding the possibility, but chances are very small) because of the reasons I cited above, among others.
eddyalex
eddyalex
307 posts
Nomad

I don't think they are real, but you never know

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I dare to say we know a lot of things about the places we inhabit.

Refute of point: Humans inhabit the Pacific Northwest (Washington, Oregon, and Alaska, as well as Canada), but that is where the bulk of Sasquatch sightings occur. Additionally, there is a large quantity of material evidence such as footprint casts, possible hair samples, and animal kills not matching other species patterns from the region. While some of these sightings have been identified, the vast majority are as yet unresolved and likely Cryptid in nature. Further, the number of sightings in populated and even urban/suburban areas is on the rise. There are recent accounts of large unidentified bipedal creatures raiding dumpsters and one that even tried to enter a home; the evidence there was a huge hairy handprint on the door and unearthly large muddy footprints crossing the cul-de-sac.

People also live in other areas where different Cryptids are reported, especially near waterways where anomalous sightings of aquatic creatures and in the American Southwest and Mexico where there are historically occurrences of gigantic flying creatures commonly called Thunderbirds. There is even a story from the mid-1800's in Arizona of two cowboys killing such a creature. The descriptions most nearly fit those of the Pterosaurs, and the sighting have commenced even in modern times. If you google "Western Thunderbird sightings" you'll find a number of articles describing the events.

I consider it unwise to just write off any species, even the dinosaurs. There are accounts from inner Africa of a creature known to locals as "Mokele Mbembe" that closely matches an Apatasaurus. While the expeditions sent to find it have so far come up empty, the locals swear by it, share recent encounters, some even violent, and consistently identify photos of sauropod dinosaurs as being the creature as opposed to any other animal local or otherwise. I firmly believe that one of these days, there will be irrefutable evidence presented for many Cryptids and that when that happens, quite a lot of pet theories and mainstream notions are going to be torpedoed and sunk.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

come on, guys. get real. its just zach galifianakis walking around naked.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

@CommanderPaladin
Did you know that monks in Tibet present a few yeti scalps?
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/8/80/Yetiscalp.JPG/200px-Yetiscalp.JPG
Well guess what, they're made of goat fur.
Some also had a few hairs that they attributed to the yeti, and effectively, microscopic analysis couldn't attribute the hair to any known primate. Finally however, they made a DNA analysis and found out those were hair of a rare, but already documented mountain goat.

All I'm saying is, I won't completely set aside the existence of cryptids, since some have been found to be regular animals in the local wildlife, like the tasmanian wolf (now extinct). But I will keep a very strong skepticism about any sort of 'evidence' as long as it hasn't been clearly identified. I also hold on to the few points I made about the improbability of any kind of bigger cryptid existing without having been found.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

@CommanderPaladin
Did you know that monks in Tibet present a few yeti scalps?

Well guess what, they're made of goat fur.
Some also had a few hairs that they attributed to the yeti, and effectively, microscopic analysis couldn't attribute the hair to any known primate. Finally however, they made a DNA analysis and found out those were hair of a rare, but already documented mountain goat.

Yes I did know this.

I won't completely set aside the existence of cryptids, since some have been found to be regular animals in the local wildlife, like the tasmanian wolf (now extinct). But I will keep a very strong skepticism about any sort of 'evidence' as long as it hasn't been clearly identified.

Skepticism is a good thing up to a point, as it is a natural gag reflex against bull. However, don't let it prevent you from seeing evidence for Cryptids, as too much skepticism leads to foolishness and ignorance. A lot of hard-line skeptics took a big hit when the Coelacanth was rediscovered after supposedly being extinct. By the way, the Coelacanth was a sort of Cryptid due to its previously unconfirmed existence.
BLINDsniper1
BLINDsniper1
84 posts
Nomad

Yes i have seen bigfoot and a yeti, they live in my backyard and we occasionally play catch together

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Yes i have seen bigfoot and a yeti, they live in my backyard and we occasionally play catch together

Please, No Bull! This is supposed to be a serious thread. Your comment belongs more to the "Lame Jokes and Puns" thread.
alovera1
alovera1
510 posts
Peasant

i believe bigfoots yetis cyclops ogres unicorns they could all be real or couldve been real most excint im sure but bigfoot skeptical cyclops im sure they were know to hide in caves when they died bones were probably eatin by dogs or somthing unicorns could have had been horses with a disease i belive any mythical creature could or couldve been

Showing 31-45 of 71