ForumsThe TavernWhat's worse: A guilty man not going to jail, or an innocent man going to jail?

60 9182
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I'm just wondering what other people think and why they think that. I can't really decide.

• 60 Replies
ClockworkAmelia
ClockworkAmelia
54 posts
Farmer

There are tons of bad people that never get put away, and tons of young men with poor judgment and brains that literally have not finished growing yet and are at many times incapable of handling things rationally. The bad people and even potential criminals are always going to be there, and when the crimes are done, they're done. Plus someone being put away early in life can prevent what might grow into a more upright citizen with age and wisdom. Prison often worsens the problem. Therefore, I'd say the imprisonment of an innocent person is much worse. It's like compounding a crime with another crime.

notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

It's like compounding a crime with another crime

Hmmm... that's actually a really smart way of putting it. ns
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

What's worse: A guilty man not going to jail, or an innocent man going to jail?

i'd say an innocent man going to jail is worse.
this could happen to any1 and if it happens your life we be broken forever. (unless it's only a month or something but i guess you mean for a longer time)
A guilty man thats not going to jail. will go to jail for something els eventualy. if they think it's that easy to get away whit a crime then they do more and will fall for the law eventualy.
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

A guilty man thats not going to jail. will go to jail for something els eventualy. if they think it's that easy to get away whit a crime then they do more and will fall for the law eventualy

I feel so stupid because all of you are saying such smart responses! :P I should have thought of them..... grrr
Seroph
Seroph
54 posts
Scribe

I agree with the above posts; facing a punishment for a crime never committed is horrible. Not only do you have to sit in jail, but you're also permanently branded as a convicted felon for the rest of your life. I can't imagine losing everything I've worked for because of something out of my control.

One also has to keep in mind that a not-guilty verdict does not mean the same as innocent or entail that one is getting off scotch free. For example, even though Casey Anthony and OJ Simpson were not convicted for murder, they're lives have been torn apart, and they are essentially outcasts from society because of all the negative press they've received.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,078 posts
Nomad

A guilty man going free because he remains a threat to society. The innocent man can be let out on good behavior.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

If a guilty man doesn't go to prison, and he continues to commit crimes, it gets more and more likely for him to get caught for each crime he commits. Possibly so much so that when he finally does get caught, he will feel accomplished and satisfied with his life.

If, however, an innocent man gets put away, it consumes years of his life, and he only gets one life. It's one thing to choose a life of crime knowing that there will be consequences, but to have to suffer the consequences when you don't deserve to and get a chunk of your life thrown away is just about the worst thing that could possibly happen to you.

Knowing you're innocent probably makes prison a hell of a lot harder to survive. Pretty soon, an innocent inmate might get so angry at the government and the justice system that he might commit a drastic crime out of pure rage rather than for criminal reasons. Criminals usually have their limits, but rage has no limits. An innocent man who had been in prison for 10 years would be far more dangerous and unstable than a guilty man who had been in prison for 20 years.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

I have to say the innocent man going to jail cauz I don't think that's right. The other guy will be caught eventually. I mean, there r people like that out there right now

GentlemanClam
GentlemanClam
523 posts
Nomad

I'd say innocent man aswell. It's just completely unfair to lose years of your life because of someone else's mistakes. For people that did commit crimes and didn't go to jail will most likely go to jail for another crime.

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

I believe the innocent man is worse. He has done nothing, and does not deserve it. The guilty man will most likely do something else and get caught.

WolfWolf
WolfWolf
800 posts
Nomad

Gee, good question, took me a good while to think about it. I would have to say the innocent man going to jail is worse because if he serves his "debt" to society and the true culprit isn't found then his life is pretty much ruined. It would be extremely tough to find a good job with that felony on the innocent man's head and a ton of respect for him will be lost. I can't imagine how hard it must be to serve time for someone else's felony.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

(finally, an interesting thread)
I believe a innocent man going to jail is worse. A guilty man, who goes off free, still has to live with the guilt of what he has done for the rest of his life. If he doesn't feel any guilt, then going to jail wouldn't have accomplished anything for him aside from keeping him out of trouble. If an innocent man goes to jail, his life is ruined and it wasn't even his fault. Everyone will think badly of him and he might not ever get a second chance.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

an innocent man going to jail is worse because then their charged with a crime they didn't do. when a guilty guy doesn't go to jail, he'll be caught sooner or later.

pablo4270
pablo4270
1,930 posts
Peasant

It's the same exact thing! When a guilty man doesn't go to jail that means an innocent man does. And wait for it......... When an innocent main goes to jail, it means the guilty guy is still prowling the streets and doing god knows what.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

I'll have to agree with the consensus so far. The innocent man going to jail is worse. If the guilty man isn't in jail, he's likely still committing crimes or at the very least getting away with it. If an innocent man is in jail in his place, the guilty man is likely still committing crimes or at the very least getting away with it, and someone elses life was ruined too.

Showing 1-15 of 60