ForumsThe TavernEarthquake in ... DC?

60 9202
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

A earth quake just happened near washington dc. It was felt all over the east coats. Any thoughts on why an earthquake happened here?

• 60 Replies
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Agh I got ninja'd. I was in California on vacation so I didn't feel it at all. A few did like the guy who lost his tea or the dude in the bathroom

Likaon
Likaon
20 posts
Nomad

H.A.A.R.P.
They made that earthquake n.n

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

I wonder; there's no fault line around the quake's epicenter, but is there a continental fracture? I know that the New Madrid fault is not by the convergence of two plates, but caused by stress built up in the center of a plate, but I didn't know of anything like this in Virginia...

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Same here. The new madrid is all i know about, and were all in big trouble if that makes an earthquake. But idk, is it possible fore another fault to just appear there? If the fault was just made though, it would be much bigger. In away it does make sense that it was a nuke or something exept that no one died. I could go all conspiriacy theory, but it doesn't even make sense that way!

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Pickpocket, I already explained why this happened.....

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Haha that sure was devestation. And dragonblaze u just said that this thing is rare and happened in louisianna once. Doesn't really tell me how this earthquake happened. I wana know all the science behind it. That sort of how it happened

Dragonblaze052
Dragonblaze052
26,677 posts
Peasant

Pickpocket, I posted a second comment, as well.

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Yeah. It was a very odd earthquake cauz there's no fault line, it was felt all over the north east and no one died.

For how harmless it was, I'm surprised how far away you could feel it.

The answer is C.A.M.P. - the Central Atlantic Magmatic Province. In ancient times, much of this are was volcanic. Some ex-volcanic domes are still present in the mountains of Virginia. While surface geology has changed, there is still a huge pocket of magma quietly sitting below most of the East Coast from the Gulf of Mexico on up through the Virginias. This pocket of magma also has long channels that force themselves through the rock as the mantle ad core of the Earth go through normal shifts and fluctuations. These fingers of magma are why much of the area east of the Mississippi River is plentiful with mineral hot springs. Hot Springs, VA, White Sulphur Springs WVA, and Hot Springs Arkansas are good examples of places that were built around these springs for their mineral and therapeutic value. The cause of the quake was most likely a new finger of magma poking into a new area of rock and fracturing it in the process. Rest easy, the coast isn't toast: it would take a truly cataclysmic event to even nudge any life into these long-extinct volcanoes.
As to why the quake was felt so far away, the answer is in the rocks. Most of the Eastern Seaboard/ east of the Mississippi region is comprised of densely packed sedimentary stone, such as sandstone and limestone. This dense material transmits shockwaves as from an earthquake far more efficiently than loose or softer materials. A good example of this transition of energy is often seen in offices and schools: Newton's Cradle, or the little frame with the row of suspended balls where if you pull one back and release it, the opposite ball moves while the ones in the middle stay put. The rocks that make up the region affected transmitted the energy of the quake the exact same way.
divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

Tsunami!! There was an earth quake? I didn't know. What was it on the richter scale?

ziggdia
ziggdia
54 posts
Bard

i am sure there is going to be a end of the world prophacy linked to this here shortly. always is...

snowguy13
snowguy13
2,157 posts
Nomad

Tsunami!! There was an earth quake? I didn't know. What was it on the richter scale?

Yes, there was a 5.9 earthquake that originated about four miles underground in Virginia. It was relatively weak, and not near water, so a dangerous tsunami is pretty much out of the question.
i am sure there is going to be a end of the world prophacy linked to this here shortly. always is...

Yeah, I'd check the 2012 threads. They're probably eating this up. :P
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Thanks paladin
And if this is part of the end of the world thing then we got nothing to fear cauz it was so weak. But I think the new Madrid is supposed to male quakes in 2012., that would be really bad cauz the first time it happened was when American settelers were her and it destroyed everything, even in areas like ny. We don't want that to happen again

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

H.A.A.R.P.
They made that earthquake n.n

Missed this in my last post here.
H.A.A.R.P. is designed to influence weather and low-frequency electromagnetic radiation. It would have little or no effect on geologic phenomenon.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Ever since this east coast earthquake, I've been feeling a small earthquake or two every day. That's more than I usually feel in a matter of months. Something just isn't right...

Conspiracy with a hint of science tells me it's the supervolcano located under Yellowstone getting ready to erupt. But since I have no evidence to back it up, there's no reason to jump conclusions at this time.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Super volcano thing kinda makes sense but it was around dc

Showing 31-45 of 60