ForumsThe TavernEarthquake in ... DC?

60 9201
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

A earth quake just happened near washington dc. It was felt all over the east coats. Any thoughts on why an earthquake happened here?

• 60 Replies
Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

It was in Virginia and I felt the main wave and a few aftershocks in the past few days. Now I have to deal with Hurricane Irene. I'm located in southeast PA so I have to deal with a good amount of both disasters.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Super volcano thing kinda makes sense but it was around dc

dragonblaze did say earthquakes could happen anywhere...
I googled a bit, and found this site, that even refers to the recent earthquake, it sounds interesting. Have a nice read.

Meanwhile, Peru had a 6.9 earthquake on wednesday. So don't freak out for a 5.8..
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Wow. Nater I feel ur pain. Im in NYC so I got the problems too

HOCKEYBOY10
HOCKEYBOY10
158 posts
Nomad

I live on the east coast in the U.S. and I felt the earthquake.I look around my town and there was some serious ''PRETTY serious'' damage. This is what we found.

http://blog.zap2it.com/pop2it/earthquake-damage-dc.jpg

CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

I live on the east coast in the U.S. and I felt the earthquake.I look around my town and there was some serious ''PRETTY serious'' damage. This is what we found.

It knocked over part of the woodpile in my backyard, but that's it for here. Oh, and some busted ceiling tiles in an office 30-40 miles away (as per newspaper).
KineticNinja
KineticNinja
166 posts
Nomad

Yes, there have been a lot of earthquakes lately because of japans 9.0 magnitude earthquake (correct me if its 8.9 or 9.1?). The cause of this is if a earthquake is powerful enough, it will crack parts of the earths core, this causing more (smaller) earthquakes. I don't know if this is why before but its a likely possibilty

LEAPretard
LEAPretard
1,328 posts
Nomad

i live 5 miles from the san andreas fault and im very supprised we did not have an earthquake yet.

Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

it will crack parts of the earths core,

Explain to me how you crack liquid. Cracking the plates would be reasonable I suppose, if a large enough shudder went through them, but, it would be minimal. Earthquakes are caused by fault lines, when two or more plates are pushed together and energy builds up, and then something gives, resulting in an earthquake.
metalwill
metalwill
147 posts
Shepherd

All of the doomsday theorists and generally ignorant people have been freaking out about this. But, honestly, its not the first quake that's hit that area of Virginia. Yea, its one of the bigger ones, but not the first one.

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Apparently there is a 4 inch crack on the Washington monument, a crack in the roof of grand central station and an angel fell of the grand cathedral. That's the most serous damage

HOCKEYBOY10
HOCKEYBOY10
158 posts
Nomad

Yes, there have been a lot of earthquakes lately because of japans 9.0 magnitude earthquake (correct me if its 8.9 or 9.1?).

I'm pretty sure 9.1 which makes our earthquake nothing compared to their deadly one.
darkrai097
darkrai097
858 posts
Nomad

It was felt up here in Nova Scotia, apparently, but I didn't notice.

terrorist attack

Americans are so paranoid. *sigh*
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

Last I checked, there's no fault line on the east coast

There's a big one. link
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd