ForumsThe TavernWhat's so great about immortality?

53 6766
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I sometimes hear people post about how they want immortality, and I don't get what's so great about it. I don't want immortality; why do other people? What's good about it? All you do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next... then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras. Why do people want to live forever?

• 53 Replies
WorstSniper
WorstSniper
1,467 posts
Nomad

Maybe they don't want to experience death themselves.

Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

It isn't that great unless you are not aging.

I wouldn't want to live while my bones are dust.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

it sucks because everyone you know is dead and you're still going strong and then you are sad and there's no one for you.and you can't live with it but you have to.

i don't have a problem whit that. and yes i have lost very good friends and close family members. it's just part of life and evry1 will experience it at some time.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

ow and ofcours i will have people around me. i will be known for the man that does not die. not in any way. i can get some good money for that =P.

Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

it sucks because everyone you know is dead and you're still going strong and then you are sad and there's no one for you.and you can't live with it but you have to.

You could always find new friends. And dying sucks, it would also be cool to just jump off an airplane and not die.
Graham
Graham
8,051 posts
Nomad

i can get some good money for that =P.

How?

it would also be cool to just jump off an airplane and not die.

Not dying =/= not feeling any pain.
Armed_Blade
Armed_Blade
1,482 posts
Shepherd

What isn't great about immortality? From a religious perspective, of course it isn't where I'd want to be, but if you put that aside, then assuming you're immortal [and not aging], lets say, 22. You could -- Learn just about everything, have unlimited shots at becoming a millionaire, stay in college with a regular job... for... ever, etc etc etc.
I have always felt that as people, time is our only limit. If there was ever a way to break that limit, then all the possibilities we have in this world would become accessible to us.

lostmanfound
lostmanfound
124 posts
Nomad

Immortality would be great because you'd be able to do thing that takes life times to do over and over you could master anything and do anything that a human can do. You can watch science grow and watchyour bloodline grow. I'd love to be immortal.

Dregus2
Dregus2
492 posts
Blacksmith

Not dying =/= not feeling any pain.

If you felt pain from jumping out of an airplane you would probably die.
xNightwish
xNightwish
1,608 posts
Nomad

It would suck. I mean everyone you now know will die and forgotten. Same as for new friends. They die. And I want to go to heaven but that is something religious and not everyone believe That.

Joe96
Joe96
2,226 posts
Peasant

Short term, people would be attracted by being (physically) young and beautiful for ever. Long term, you would be miserable and probably want to die. A good example is a movie called "Death Becomes Her" or something like that basically the exact same thing as the OP.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Before I say anything, something must be clarified. When you say "immortality", is invincibility implied? Because if someone cuts of your head and you're immortal but not invincible, you'll just be a lonely head with no body for all of eternity.

kingofwar1234
kingofwar1234
603 posts
Peasant

What's so good about emortallity?

I mean, you watch your' family and friends die while you are in your youth... And you stick out in the crowd....

Death is a part of life.... Life is only borrowed, and some day you have to give it back.

divy1324
divy1324
433 posts
Nomad

What isn,t so great?
I agree that it's sad to watch you family die and you would stick out in the crowd but you can see the Earth getting better or worse.

EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,438 posts
Jester

If I was immortal, I would probably take the time to master instruments. Kind of like in Groundhog Day when he takes piano lessons. That's probably the only upside to being immortal other than not dying: being able to better yourself.

Showing 1-15 of 53