ForumsThe TavernWhat's so great about immortality?

53 6765
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I sometimes hear people post about how they want immortality, and I don't get what's so great about it. I don't want immortality; why do other people? What's good about it? All you do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next... then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras. Why do people want to live forever?

• 53 Replies
MrWeeaboo
MrWeeaboo
16 posts
Nomad

Nothing is actually good about immortality.
Whereas some people are shrouded by delusion that lack of death will make them happy, or that being unkillable will make them a God among humans, this is obviously incorrect.
Even if you're immortal. You still feel pain.
You can fight someone, and they could beat you to an inch of your life, and you'd still carry on living.... Feeling nothing but pain as the sweet release of death neglects your call as you are beat ever so harsher.
The next issue is that even with you living onwards, a your family, friends, loved ones... They'll all pass away. You'll be unable to actually uphold a relationship with someone else knowing you'll be alive when they die.
At the cost of never fearing death, you eventually will long for it.
We never want something until it's gone.

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

There us good in immortality! You get to spend an eternity being able to make motals lives better. You have all the time in the world to find cures and invent helpful tools and clean energy sources. That sound like a great thing to me.

MrWeeaboo
MrWeeaboo
16 posts
Nomad

There us good in immortality! You get to spend an eternity being able to make motals lives better. You have all the time in the world to find cures and invent helpful tools and clean energy sources. That sound like a great thing to me.

I can understand the advantages of having all eternity to be able to seek cures, however, what's the point in doing such if you don't have an active interest in the medical field? Or everyone you save and love dies of old age, leaving you behind?
Furthermore, what when you've discovered everything there is to discover? You exist for eternity with no use afterwards.
Mortality is undoubtably the best gift humanity has been given... Considering we don't live that long, it encourages us to work towards our goals sooner.
Danger of getting bored, you could postpone your tasks a few thousand years.
Chake1
Chake1
51 posts
Nomad

I agree, okay, take this as what should statiscally happen in the end.
Scenario 1, you and your blood would be taken away before you can do anything really good.
Scenario 2, if you had eluded the government, the world would think your a freak of nature.
Scenario 3, if everyone but you would die, then you would be awfully lonely.
Scenario 4, now, if we were to take the viewpoint that everyones immortal, there would be a lot of concrete being bought, tons, literally.
Also, I think that after a hundred years or so, you will try to get yourself killed, imagine how much pain and suffering you would have had to endure.

aamer13
aamer13
2,568 posts
Nomad

umm just cause ur immortal that doesnt make u invicible see u can feel pain and um take this scenario

u are stab with a knife that knife stuck and that pain gonna last forever

SirNoobalot
SirNoobalot
22,207 posts
Nomad

u do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next...

I do admit that would suck, but I suppose it would come to a point where you'd stop caring and only passively watch over your offspring.

then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras.

Perhaps if you devoted your 'life' to your intellect, wisdom, and negotiation skills, you could be the solution to or help find a solution for all those problems, y'know be the world's guardian and groundskeeper and occasionally changing your identity.

Why do people want to live forever?
Showing 46-51 of 53