ForumsThe TavernWhat's so great about immortality?

53 6767
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I sometimes hear people post about how they want immortality, and I don't get what's so great about it. I don't want immortality; why do other people? What's good about it? All you do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next... then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras. Why do people want to live forever?

• 53 Replies
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

If I was immortal I would learn as many laungages as possible. Then spend as much time as possible helping people. Probably thorugh inventing cures and alternative enrgy sources. Then i'd move on to agriculture to make sure that people are feed. Then i'd start helping build up poorer communitys. After I've made billions i'd buy out corrput bussniesses and make sure they 1. Had nothing to do with the government. 2. Were benifical to the people. But since this would take hundreads of years I would marry a women and fake my death at the right time and have everything inherited to my "son". This would happen multiple times. I would also eventually make sure that after everything is as well off is it'll ever get that I settle down with a family off in house in D.R with 1 million dollars to keep. Then i'll donate everything I own. All of it. Not a penny to my name. And I would live with my family in somewhat modesty. Until the day comes that the world needs me again. That would be the great part. The bad part is that when the earth is destroyed I'll exist bodyless forever roaming space.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,591 posts
Blacksmith

I wouldn't want to be immortal unless my family was as well.
Being alone just sucks.

mrTrippy
mrTrippy
517 posts
Nomad

If I was immortal I would be a super hero but, all the people close to me would die that would suck.

johnmerz
johnmerz
536 posts
Shepherd

If it does not involve not aging as well, I see nothing great about immortality. Of course, if you could become immortal without aging, it would be a great thing to have.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

immortality is only great if you have someone else to share it with (not aging too). as long as there is someone you can live with forever im sure immortality can be nice

sporetastic
sporetastic
13 posts
Nomad

Immortality, imagine being doing your hearts desire and being one of the greatest people to ever live! Yet there are down sides, since you could not die, you would lose all your loved ones. If you mean full physical immortality then you could not feel pain, your blood count would be at it's best and would never decrease. Yet when it comes to biological immortality... Only 3 organisms in the world have been known to achieve that. The Jellyfish is immortal to aging and disease as far as I am aware of. So saying Physical immortality would be suck after awhile and Biological immortality would be better. Imagine, you could never get S.T.D.s!

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

If you felt pain from jumping out of an airplane you would probably die.

Pain isn't what kills you.
Hectichermit
Hectichermit
1,828 posts
Bard

well there is also the belief of immortal souls...aka afterlife if you believe that you'll live forever in and after life after death that is also immortality. So I'd rather be immortal living, with the ability to reconstruct/regenerate. You still feel pain but if you were scattered into millions of pieces your body would reconstruct itself. This series has a pretty good view of immortality

Nater
Nater
1,296 posts
Nomad

Nothing. Like you said everyone you ever cared about dies around you.

daniel5533
daniel5533
160 posts
Nomad

nothing because there will be nothing that matters if you are immortal

TheLegitGamer
TheLegitGamer
181 posts
Nomad

Well Immortality can be awkward. Since you never age people will realize something is wrong about you. Then society might take you in for scientific research and you'll never be able to leave O_o. But then since your immortal, you can beat the poop out of everybody without being hurt But still, very weird.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

immortality: they want to life for ever, but immortality means only that you cant die as long youre healthy. if youre immortal and get after 1000 years shot in the head you will die. to be invulnerable and/or having the ability to regenerate yourself would cause to a never ending life. but if nobody dies than the circle of life and death would be disturbed.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

but if nobody dies than the circle of life and death would be disturbed.

I'm wondering, are you just saying that because it sounds good in aspect to the thread? Or did you think about that a bit? What, for you, is the circle of life and death?
I'll tell you what I think; if there would be infinite ressources, life wouldn't need a 'circle of life and death'. Since they're finite, immortality would take away the base of most ecosystems, ruining most of them. Death and decay are the base of life; philosophically at least, death is what makes life worth living.

Though I can see the point of immortality; fear of not existing anymore. Some fear whatever afterlife they believe in; much more frightening is the thought that you won't exist anymore, for eternity. Eternal life however sounds only like a gift at first, if I imagine it I think I'd go crazy after a certain time. What for me would be best, is a very long life, where I can experience a lot of things and watch the world develop over more than a lifetime (at the condition that I don't get physically old either). Acceptance of death often just needs time for one to live life and come to a point where you think, 'I lived my life and am ready to die'.
netgear99
netgear99
15 posts
Nomad

What would happen if humanity died out or ceased to exist in a physical sense? You would literaly be forever alone.

CommanderDude7
CommanderDude7
4,689 posts
Nomad

Well I would like to be immortal. As to whats so good about it well Ill have enough time to figure it out.

Showing 16-30 of 53