ForumsThe TavernWhat's so great about immortality?

53 6768
notinthepie3
notinthepie3
655 posts
Nomad

I sometimes hear people post about how they want immortality, and I don't get what's so great about it. I don't want immortality; why do other people? What's good about it? All you do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next... then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras. Why do people want to live forever?

• 53 Replies
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

What's so great about immortality?

whats so great about dying?
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

I sometimes hear people post about how they want immortality, and I don't get what's so great about it. I don't want immortality; why do other people? What's good about it? All you do is live forever, watch all of your family and friends die and the next generation die, and the next, and the next... then you just have to deal with all of the crisis that the world is in, from all of these different eras. Why do people want to live forever?

Your a little before why I always didn't want immortality, the reason I don't is that when the big red giant finaly blows, the whole solar system would be dead, and where would you be? You would be floating in space for quite some time, getting quickly less and less amused that you can see the stars so clearly.
Gamer_Cale
Gamer_Cale
1,370 posts
Nomad

Depends about what you class as immortal because some people think it means live forever but you can be killed by weapons and the other meaning is that you can't die from anything.

If you can still die it would only be good if people you loved where immortal because you would have to see anyone you ever loved die.

But if you couldn't die from anything then it would still be bad because you would see people you love die but it would still be cool to see the world end I suppose but I think you would eventually want to die and go insane.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

But if you couldn't die from anything then it would still be bad because you would see people you love die but it would still be cool to see the world end I suppose but I think you would eventually want to die and go insane.

Thats my understanding of it and I think I could hang on for quite a long time (3 years) before I go insane, but I bet I would have to become a little insane to prevent being fully insane.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

Immortality would bored me to death -chuckles-.
Life would have no excitement left in it.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Immortality would bored me to death -chuckles-.
Life would have no excitement left in it.

If your insane enough, you can make anything exciting. I could look at a wall for a day straight and not be bored.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

If your insane enough, you can make anything exciting. I could look at a wall for a day straight and not be bored.

Yepp, so try doing that for a thousand years, after you watch all your family members, friends and loved ones die, and still be amused.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Yepp, so try doing that for a thousand years, after you watch all your family members, friends and loved ones die, and still be amused.

I don't really have any close ties with people and its amusing to think that you get to see a lot more than anyone else. You're going to see countires get rich then poor, see humanity evolve or don't and trash the planet for every other species. You may think your ****ed or you may think your lucky to witness this much of history.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I don't really have any close ties with people and its amusing to think that you get to see a lot more than anyone else. You're going to see countires get rich then poor, see humanity evolve or don't and trash the planet for every other species. You may think your ****ed or you may think your lucky to witness this much of history.

Maybe not at the minute, but i'm sure if you live forever you'll fall in love, have a friend who's like a brother etc. & watching anyone you love die is the hardest thing ever.
Also if you see countries go from rich to poor, you'd see the children struggling for their lives due to lack of food. People who already witness this are lucky enough to only have to for one life span, not 1000+.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Maybe not at the minute, but i'm sure if you live forever you'll fall in love, have a friend who's like a brother etc. & watching anyone you love die is the hardest thing ever.
Also if you see countries go from rich to poor, you'd see the children struggling for their lives due to lack of food. People who already witness this are lucky enough to only have to for one life span, not 1000+.

I would give em some money and I dunno if I'll actualy care for someone so much that it will be the hardest thing ever to watch them die. I think I'll just end up doing what I always do and that is spectate.
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,139 posts
Farmer

I would give em some money and I dunno if I'll actualy care for someone so much that it will be the hardest thing ever to watch them die. I think I'll just end up doing what I always do and that is spectate

Immortality doesn't mean you'll suddenly be rich.
Also, you're fourteen, you haven't experienced life to it's fullest yet, neither have i, so therefore you can't make assumptions that you'll never be close to someone. That is unless you can tell the future.
Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,606 posts
Nomad

Immortality doesn't mean you'll suddenly be rich.
Also, you're fourteen, you haven't experienced life to it's fullest yet, neither have i, so therefore you can't make assumptions that you'll never be close to someone. That is unless you can tell the future.

I guess your right. But I see what getting close to someone does and it's not too much fun, it's like having another person in your head. Also about the rich part, I could be a historian or something for money.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Probably being able to live forever, many people don't want to die, but I don't see much enjoyment from it if you're aging.

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

not dying is one of them but then again it kinda sucks that people grow old and you don't. you have a lot of time to do stuff. you wouldn't get sick. there's a lot of reasons why people want immortality but then there's a lot of reasons why people don't want it.

Jblaze101
Jblaze101
512 posts
Peasant

Immortality would be best if everyone experienced it together case closed.

Showing 31-45 of 53