ForumsProgramming ForumHave a look at my (unfinished) game!

109 45332
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

http://www.swfme.com/view/1269722

It's been about 2 weeks in development.

Anyway, right now it gets pretty repetitive and boring. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make it more interesting?

• 109 Replies
ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

@SquirrelMaster,

Don't worry. It's alright for people to give their thoughts, even if someone has already said it before. I know that there have been so many people wanting upgrades. This gives me a sense of demand. There is a lot of demand for an upgrade shop, so I'll do that first, then I'll do whatever was suggested a bit less frequently, and so forth.

On the programming side of things, I'm rewriting the entire game this weekend. The current code is really messy and breaks almost every OOP rule possible. I even have animation in the main timeline. I'm creating a modular, flexible system that I should be able to reuse in future games.

TLDR version:
I am rewriting the game to make it better. This means that new features will likely be a while away.

partydevil
partydevil
5,132 posts
Jester

i took a look @ the 1st link. and i alredy can't wait for the final version. got 55 sec on 2nd try ^^

maybe you could add a auto-fire system infront or behind yourself to shoot down some of those blue things. and add something in that way.
something like "Death vs Monstars" maybe.

i hope progress is going well, good luck.

Smokeshow
Smokeshow
69 posts
Peasant

We are waiting for the new version! HURRY UP!!!!!!!

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,062 posts
Jester

I like it, the bullets on occasion seem to slow down for no apparent reason, which is somewhat interesting. I'd suggesting adding a bit more in terms of effects when you die, perhaps an explosion or something. Maybe a message based upon the score they received?

Graphics wise, I'm enjoying the simplicity, although I would recommend a little bit more detail in terms of the cannon, or maybe fill it in, so it's not a box/circle.

The music was good, not too irritating, though it could get boring if one plays long enough, so maybe have a track of songs.

My last suggestion is something to the effect of acheivements, or medals, not only will that help game fit in with v3 more easily, but for some people it will make them want to keep playing even after they've gotten bored.

Overall I really enjoyed it, and I think once you get it finished up and give it some polish, it'll be a great game and a lot of fun.

invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

WOWOWOWOW AWESOME GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

I am rewriting the entire game.

Over the course of the game's development I have learned many things about AS3. Among those are best practises, and my current code breaks pretty much all of them. Consequently, my game is very badly coded and uses up large amounts of CPU and RAM, more than it should.

I have decided that it is easier to simply rewrite the game instead of trying to improve the existing code. As I am now more experienced, it should not take very long before the rewritten version has the same amount of features as the current one.

This does mean that it will take a long time for more features to come. The new version might not seem very different, but it will have major changes under the hood to make the game smoother and faster.

xfirealchemistx
xfirealchemistx
370 posts
Nomad

Nice game. I'm really enjoying playing it.

SquirrelMaster0282
SquirrelMaster0282
454 posts
Nomad

@ExplosionsHurt

I see why you might want to rewrite the code and will be waiting for the next version hope it comes soon ( :

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

add music!

krisnaisawesome
krisnaisawesome
15 posts
Nomad

I am looking forward to see the finished game!

Annihalation
Annihalation
479 posts
Nomad

That's good! Keep it up, a good start.

ExplosionsHurt
ExplosionsHurt
249 posts
Nomad

Urgh.

I've been under a load of schoolwork and stuff like that. I'm really having trouble finding time to work on the game.

Might as well release the source code and see what people do with it.

greenplanet011
greenplanet011
207 posts
Nomad

maybe add some items.For example,your playing and your getting pummeled by blue thingies and all of a sudden,BAM,slow motion powerup comes and slows everything down.There could also be a shooter powerup where you can shoot the blue thingies.

theawesomekid2
theawesomekid2
38 posts
Nomad

i found a glitch. every few seconds, an invisble bullet kills me. Hope you can inprove this

TinyAnt
TinyAnt
70 posts
Nomad

Nice game, it's really fun.

Showing 91-105 of 109