ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159427
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

And blue text... When I see blue text, I just laugh silently to myself. I've yet to meet a moderator that I can respect for his/her maturity.

You haven't talked to enough of our mods. I haven't met a single mod that I would call immature.

A lot of things used to work that the admins have caught on too, AG is no longer new enough to have loop holes to exploit, worry not v3 shall come soon enough.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

i joined last year and i noticed it too. the tavern has been plumiting in quality for a long time, aparently way before i was here. everynow and then a good thread comes up where you can acctually post more than once as apossed to something like "do you like math" where you answer yes or no to it and your done. now i dont know too much about making a good thread, most of mine get locked even if i thought they were good....but could some of the older users make a few threads to get this back on track?

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I have been a user for just over a year now, and it has been shocking to see the way that threads in the Tavern and the WEPR have declined. I remember that in my first week here, I made what was arguably the most controversial thread of the year relating to Israel's right to exist. However, I have not seen many good debate threads or any intellectual discussion going on. Usually the OP just drops everything and runs after being ganged up on.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

When I see blue text, I just laugh silently to myself. I've yet to meet a moderator that I can respect for his/her maturity.

I don't think Cenere or Gantic (unless they're joking around) are immature.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

unless they're joking around

Maybe the reason why some people find mods "immature" is because they joke around more than your average user. But it's better than if they were just robotic police drones who made the site less fun to be a part of.
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I would absolutely hate it if our mods acted like that, and there's probably a good chance that I wouldn't use the forums at all, I don't think there's anyone who likes a sentient rulebook.

Nurvana
Nurvana
2,520 posts
Farmer

Just to randomly and shamefully answer the OP, I think it was WAY better before. Back when there were thousands of active users, you could have whole webs of interconnected friends, and new faces always brought surprises now and then. Now, everyone's kind of found their niche and everything is pretty predictable. Although, that does make for a more tight-knit community.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

But it's better than if they were just robotic police drones who made the site less fun to be a part of.

So basically them not posting at all besides reasoning post for lock, locking, banning and delete stuff only? That would be kind of boring. But at these times it isn't fun because we're missing my cool mods and some former mods who have moved on in their lives.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

That would be kind of boring.

It would be amazingly boring, and terrible for them because nobody would know they were online and they'd get numerous complaints about their "inactivity" when really they're just not being seen.
FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

I used to be able to get 100-200 posts in a day. now I can barely get 10. does that answer your question?

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

That was summer 2010, I gained a 1000 posts in a week, the majority of them in one rather well known thread, and the rest in the AMW. And then I switched over to the WEPR where I got less, but it was still so much activity.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I got my first 5500 posts in 2009. In 2010, I got about 2000 more. This year has been my worst year so far. Only 1500, and 300 of those are gone thanks to the demise of TTICA (yes, I brought it up again).

I think 2009 was the most active year. Not just for me, but for the whole community.

FloydTC
FloydTC
2,906 posts
Nomad

I think 2009 was the most active year. Not just for me, but for the whole community.

I got almost 2000 posts in my first six months here. four of those months were technically part of 2009.
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,375 posts
Blacksmith

09 was probably the best year. Didn't have people spamming really, people did I'm sure, but new users didn't see a #1 with 50K points, and want to pass him up.

vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

I agree about the '09 being the best year. I joined in mid 09 and found out about the forums a few months later, thought that it was a great community and I started to get a bunch of posts. I believe I got about 1500-2000 posts within 09.

but new users didn't see a #1 with 50K points, and want to pass him up.

Yup, FT only had like 35k and he was close to Ernie and Google.
Showing 286-300 of 1018