ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159420
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Let's not point at specific users lest we get a lock dropped on this thread, yes?

You know it defeats the purpose of a prank if we try to figure it out, just let it happen.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Got an email from Justin saying they don't have enough time to bring it back up. Oh well.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Awww.... I was so hopeful for my posts, oh well v3 is far more important.

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

The knight and hydra armatars at 5500 AP were user-created, if I recall correctly,

Really? That's nice!

Those armatars used to be available for a lower AP requirement long ago.

They were moved to 5500 in early '09, I believe.

To the staff: Why?

Do we know the TTICA is the only locked thread that vanished? Other could've also disappeared which could account for it, there could also have been a mass removal of spam as happens on occasion.

That's odd. As far as I can tell, TTICA is the only locked thread that disappeared. Anyone is missing any other?

People also generally lose their armatars and get the blank default one when enough of their AP is removed so that they no longer have enough to "afford" that armatar.

But now they use the starry one, correct?

And blue text... When I see blue text, I just laugh silently to myself. I've yet to meet a moderator that I can respect for his/her maturity.

How? In my opinion, the Mod team is doing a great job and enforcing the rules correctly. What makes you think that?

i joined last year and i noticed it too. the tavern has been plumiting in quality for a long time, aparently way before i was here. everynow and then a good thread comes up where you can acctually post more than once as apossed to something like "do you like math" where you answer yes or no to it and your done.

Well, I joined early this year and have noticed that, too. I think that I joined when people were on Summer Vacation, thus the number of good threads was higher. Now, threads are usually answered quickly, have a sloppily picked theme or both at the same time.

now i dont know too much about making a good thread, most of mine get locked even if i thought they were good...

That happens to me, too. D:

.but could some of the older users make a few threads to get this back on track?

A nice idea. But (some) posters of the New Gen would probably bury the thread with less-than-intelligent answers, like spam.

However, I have not seen many good debate threads or any intellectual discussion going on.

Threads under the WEPR category are all the same these days: "Ask a" threads and plain, simple "Science x Religion" threads. Nothing more clever than that.

Usually the OP just drops everything and runs after being ganged up on.

Truth. Oddly enough, the threads seem to live longer with the OP posting sporadically on it.

Maybe the reason why some people find mods "immature" is because they joke around more than your average user. But it's better than if they were just robotic police drones who made the site less fun to be a part of.

Truth. How weird... following that line of thinking, the conclusion is:
If a Mod makes jokes, he/she is immature.
If a Mod enforces the rules with a serious style, he/she is called a "bore" or even flamed at.
*tsk, tsk* Humanity...

Just to randomly and shamefully answer the OP, I think it was WAY better before. Back when there were thousands of active users, you could have whole webs of interconnected friends, and new faces always brought surprises now and then. Now, everyone's kind of found their niche and everything is pretty predictable. Although, that does make for a more tight-knit community.

:O

Your description of the "Before" made me amazed. And the "After" is the very truth.

Didn't have people spamming really, people did I'm sure, but new users didn't see a #1 with 50K points, and want to pass him up.

@bolded section: That's one of the biggest reasons of the forum metamorphosis into a crappier, declining version of it's own self.

Oh the armatar contests. They were quite productive.

Holy Cheese! QUITE productive? That's a whole new armatar set!

I got CT100 locked! Ruining AG through teamwork one thread at a time :0

I assume that this is not a thing to be proud about...

(I'm not saying you are proud of it, okay?)

He turns up at my bloody chatroom now.

Thumbs up for Knight's bloody chatroom!

With him gone now I think it'll ease up on that, it used to be very strict with him around

That's the very truth. "Spammed? MEET MAH BANHAMMER"

But I think that this was a good thing. At least made the Forums look clean.

Oh well, I just remember some older users talking about how better it was with Carlie active as community manager. I wasn't here for that, but I believe them. From reading some older threads she seemed really nice and making those armatars contests was cool.

My vision of Carlie is the same you have. She seemed a really nice person, an admin that actually lived among the users.

What happened to her? <

Good question! What happened to her?! Besides that...

She got married to John [...]
?

How odd. Both she and John aren't that active around the community...

I remember Colony being the ****.

Colony? It's a great game. Even though it looks abandoned by now.

And I wonder what the prank will be this year.

Me too, but that...

(Everyone gets a temp-ban!)

... would be annoying, after all.

Also the How Much Fame and How Much Respect or the above user forum games. Not really important, those two were just fun little time wasters, but still, I don't like how they were ruined by people spamming and arguing about what ratings they got.

The reason of the locking of "How Much Respect You Have For The Above User" was mostly lack of self-control and a bit of stupidity. It was an EXCELLENT forum game(!!!), not real life! Those ratings were for fun, and arguing about them is just... meh...

I also remember the old "corrupt a wish" game. That was fun too.

Yeah, it was awesome... wait a sec: It WAS? What happened to it?

Got an email from Justin saying they don't have enough time to bring it back up. Oh well.

Awww... I was so excited by it's apparent return... That's... awful.

Yeah, it sounds like they're working pretty hard on the new AG.

Well, looks like it's going to be pure innovation, then! They're workin HARD and it's still on open beta. I hope they make it perfect, because I'm anxious for the full release since I first heard about it (July).

Wait a sec: Didn't someone said that AG2 had "loopholes" to exploit and such? So that's why they're working hard on AG3!
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I think I just passed out from that giant wall of text ^

I remember I didn't find out about the community for a few months, and to gain AP I was a "rate-spammer" for a while

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

I'm actually thinking about doing that, I want 1500 games before v3 releases, unfortunately I don't really have the time, and I don't want to ratespam.

Roger is good at the giant walls of text, but he goes back and responds to everything lol.

Knight's bloody chatroom seems to be empty these days...

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

What happened to her?! Besides that...

I believe she has a new job and possibly children.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I think I just passed out from that giant wall of text ^

Wake up! I'm doing it again!

I'm actually thinking about doing that, I want 1500 games before v3 releases, unfortunately I don't really have the time, and I don't want to ratespam.

Me too. I think that a benchmark like that would be cool, but I don't have that much time either. I'm looking for games that I've already played before to see if a sincere rating happens inside my head.

Roger is good at the giant walls of text, but he goes back and responds to everything lol.

Well, better gigantic walls of text than less-than-intelligent-and-also-less-than-seven-words spam!

Yeah, that's truth. I wonder how it was when it was full...

I believe she has a new job and possibly children.

Why would she get a new job? Working in AG is cool enough! And she would even be able to see her husband everyday! Also, if Carlie had kids, congratulations to she and John!

A micro wall of text. Good enough, eh?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I'm not looking forward to regaining my rightful post count manually, but some things just need to be done.

I am now in Hyperactive Forum Mode (HFM), or non-stop lurking for as many several-hour periods as it takes to get my 9200 posts back.

I believe she has a new job

Why is she still an admin here if she has a new job?

A micro wall of text. Good enough, eh?

Any wall of text is good enough when you don't read most of it.
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

It's not empty, just sparsely populated.

I wonder how it was when it was full...

Look at the collages and you'll know.

---

I"m far too lazy to read all of Roger's posts for some reason.
FireflyIV
FireflyIV
3,224 posts
Nomad

People will always remember Ag being better when they first started, since that was when they were most active and getting most involved with the community. Things do seem a bit weak at the moment, but I'm sure that's in no small part due to AG3 being released soon. I myself am pretty busy at the moment, and need the excuse/incentive of the update to get active again. I am sure I am not the only user in this position.

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

and need the excuse/incentive of the update to get active again. I am sure I am not the only user in this position.

On the contrary, I'm trying to be as active as I can and get everything I can out of AG2 before the update is popped out.
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

I'm not looking forward to regaining my rightful post count manually, but some things just need to be done.

Translating: you're kinda angry, right?

I am now in Hyperactive Forum Mode (HFM), or non-stop lurking for as many several-hour periods as it takes to get my 9200 posts back.

Wow. I wished I could do that, as well.

Why is she still an admin here if she has a new job?

Maybe she doesn't have a new job. Maybe she's still around, but doesn't feel like posting! Maybe!

Any wall of text is good enough when you don't read most of it.

I would actually appreciate if you read them, Ernie. I spend time on them, actually. Plus, it's better than spamming like a wild animal.

It's not empty, just sparsely populated.

aka, Almost empty.

People will always remember Ag being better when they first started, since that was when they were most active and getting most involved with the community. Things do seem a bit weak at the moment, but I'm sure that's in no small part due to AG3 being released soon. I myself am pretty busy at the moment, and need the excuse/incentive of the update to get active again. I am sure I am not the only user in this position.

Yeah. That's why I noticed a change in the community since I joined: When I joined, most people were in school break. That means that more quality threads were created. But, oddly enough, that doesn't explain why AG was better on the previous years. The answer to that is a mix of Forum Population and Maturity.

Look at the collages and you'll know.

Do you have links to them?

I"m far too lazy to read all of Roger's posts for some reason.

Please, Knight. Be a good Vet and read through my posts. I spend time on them and think about what I'm writing.

@Knight and Ernie: If that makes you feel better, a big part of my post's lenght is due to quotations!

Yeah, that's kind of how I feel. OMGOMGAG3ISCOMINGOUTWRITEMOREPOSTMORE... And right about now teachers decide to give more homework :/

Teachers... they're all the same.

Due to my tiny posts being not read lately, I'm using bolded sections to show the most important and on-topic aspects of my comments. Enjoy

Also, the Newcomers Thread is pretty much the same like it was before, right?
vinster132
vinster132
5,875 posts
Jester

(Everyone gets a temp-ban!)

Incorrect, I've yet to be warned or temp or perma banned.
CountingTime
CountingTime
1 posts
Nomad

Please, Knight. Be a good Vet and read through my posts. I spend time on them and think about what I'm writing.

I DO NOT HAVE TO THINK ABOUT WHAT YOU ARE WRITING!

OM NOM NOM NOM
Showing 316-330 of 1018