ForumsThe Tavern(Nostalgia) Was AG better before?

1018 159363
Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hello. While I was exploring AG-based Xats, I've met several unactive/banned/"old-school" AG Users. Most of them said that, one of the main reasons to their inactivity here is that the site was better before.

Is that true?

How better? They say that the threads had more quality back in time.

Well, I can't tell if it was. I joined June 26th, so that's not too much knowledge on our awesome site...

- R

• 1,018 Replies
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Now now, no need to get snippy... those days are long gone. :P

And blazer himself would come and have a talk with you, except that's not allowed per AG's rules.

And this could a bring another topic of this Nostalgia thread.

What were you like when you were a noob? What's the dumbest thing you did?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I actually can't really remember being a ''noob''. I'm pretty sure I didn't spam with short posts but I did get into arguments when people harassed my friend.
thaboss
thaboss
1,649 posts
Nomad

Alright, thaboss guesses not exactly "noob" but when people were "new."

Were the new people back in your day actually good, read the rules, help, and stickies and stuff like that? And actually wrote constructive posts? Or was it like how it is today?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Were the new people back in your day actually good, read the rules, help, and stickies and stuff like that? And actually wrote constructive posts? Or was it like how it is today?

I can't remember exactly, since many of the more active (and hence featuring more prominently in my memory) users were already vets of their time. Though yes of course I do remember some new people acting like the way the newer folk act like today.

And no, stickies have always been rarely read.
Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

Noob =/= newbie. Newbie is something you grow out of. Noob is not.

I am still of the opinion that stickies turn invisible to everyone not already being aware they are there. If someone finds them anyway, the OP as well as any other helpful post disappears to that person, which sums down to them asking questions that has been answered a thousand times, including in the OP.

As for the quote, I think Zophia has had that up for quite a while before 2010. She was made a mod in 2008, I think she used that reasoning not long after because... well, that.

I also kinda forgot about some of my anger tantrums... They were a little cute. No wonder no one was/is taking me seriously.

Patrick2011
Patrick2011
12,319 posts
Treasurer

I don't think I'm that much different from my noob days (although I have made some improvements), but I do remember the surf thing, which involved multiple threads. Here we go:

The surf thing involved me and two users which are now perma-banned. Those users were spartandestroyer and MEGAMANXPERT. It began when spartandestroyer said this on page 1074 of You're banned:

banned cause im a SURF! HAHAHA! a golden SURF!

I then responded by saying he was a serf, not a surf. He continued arguing, and after 1 page, it escalated into me saying this:

spartandestroyer, STOP THIS ARGUMENT NOW!!!! YOU ARE A SERF!!!!

That much happened in just 15 minutes, then spartandestroyer classified me as a spartan in this post on page 1076:

BANNED CAUSE I AM A SURF!!!!!!

IM REALLY MAD NOW! (patrick2011 is classified as a spartan!)

TACTICAL NUKE INCOMING!!!

(patrick2011 is now in the semiexistance world of minecraft!)

I responded to that with this ban:

You're banned for the following reasons:

1. You posted in all caps.
2. You posted in bold italics.
3. You called me a spartan.
4. You decided an outcome as a non-creator (you put me in the world of Minecraft).
5. You are a SERF, not a surf.
6. You're banned for continuing to argue with me, even though d_dude said to stop.

In case of a ninja, everything I said was directed at spartandestroyer.

Going Off-Topic: Page 1077 began with Paarfam (now perma-banned) calling me a dragon in this ban:

Banned for being Patrick, the green dragon.

Back On-Topic:

On page 1078, MEGAMANXPERT joined and made this post:

Hey get real,compare the words
"Serfing" is not real
"Surfing" is.
hence
WE ARE SURFS!
Banned for misspelling.

He was trying to be logical, but the logic is incorrect since the following analogy is not true:

serf : serfing :: surf : surfing

Later in that page, spartandestroyer began carrying bans over to me even when I am the wrong user to ban. On the next page, spartandestroyer created the following joke:

why did the surf ban the nooby squire? cause he was there.

One hour after the surf thing started, the You're banned thread reached page 1080, and MEGAMANXPERT created an infinite loop with this post:

Infinity loop activated
PATRI
PATRI
PATRI
PATRICK,theretherethereisisisisis
NNNNNNO
ESCAPE
ESCAPE
ESCAPE!!!!

At that point, I created a new forum game, which is now locked. However, you can see it here. In that game, I was ninja'd massively, which led to an argument between me and MEGAMANXPERT. The game ended on page 9 (of 13), but spartandestroyer then accused me of god modding in this post:

i accuse you of god modding! i use reversal and patrick2011 is to be tested. kill yourself or be guilty of god modding and get banned from this forum.

Btw, at this point, the surf thing had been going on for 2 and a half hours. MEGAMANXPERT then created this thread. d_dude then called the surf thing spam in the following post:

I was flagged for stating a fact, wow. SErfs should take a lesson from themselves on what spamming is. Can we stop this surf thing? It is degrading to horrible, horrible spam. You guys are just going to become squires anyways.

MEGAMANXPERT also accused me of trolling. Btw, the revenge thread is also locked.

About half an hour after the creation of the revenge thread, Cenere locked it with this message:

And at last:
Stop this, you are all making fools out of yourself.

On the morning of April 16th (the surf thing was on April 15th), Cenere locked the original surf game with this message:

You know rules about specific users? Yeah, this count.
And then there is a bit of spam, and so on...

Back to the You're banned thread:

That thread reached page 1083 when the original game ended. Two pages later, spartandestroyer used a non-American spelling, which I pointed out. However, he called me a grammar nazi. On page 1087 (this was after the surf thing), SupaLegit banned me with this reason:

Patrick, you're banned for creating the forum game that brought so much SPAM to the forums >.>

On the next day, MEGAMANXPERT posted an image with a swear word on page 1093. He then proceeded to call that word a non-swear (it was the s-word).

Anyway, that's what I would consider the dumbest thing I have ever done/seen.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I am still of the opinion that stickies turn invisible to everyone not already being aware they are there. If someone finds them anyway, the OP as well as any other helpful post disappears to that person, which sums down to them asking questions that has been answered a thousand times, including in the OP.

They were always invisible Cen, face it. They seem to be to nincompoops.

I don't think I'm that much different from my noob days (although I have made some improvements), but I do remember the surf thing, which involved multiple threads. Here we go:

Is it just me or do I get the feeling that Pat hasn't exactly left those days?
Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Holy wall of text Batman!

I don't remember my time as a newb very well, even though it wasn't all that long ago. I don't recall ever getting into such trouble that a mod/admin called me on it, although it is possible that it happened.

I do remember that I had an annoying tendency to write in text speech, regardless of where I was posting, an unfortunate remnant of my MMORPG days.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

i used to type like this and replace "you" with "u", "are" with "r", etc. For about the first month or two when I was on this site.

But typing classes for a few months, having to write essays/papers, and most of my classes requiring for me to write/type perfectly changed that.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Ah, reminiscing the days when we were newbies.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

i used to type like this and replace "you" with "u", "are" with "r", etc. For about the first month or two when I was on this site.

You should have seen my first post on AG. Is anyone particularly proud of their noob days?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

This was my earliest post I could find.

I wish I could find one with me being a complete newb....

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I have almost no memories at all from my newbie days. I do think I was a short poster though... Now I my posts are much longer. And I also post in more places, like AMW, and forum games occasionaly.

Kyouzou
Kyouzou
5,061 posts
Jester

Haha Nicho, that post is from the day I registered.

My oldest post, that I could find at least.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

This post came a few months earlier.

I decided to find a Moderators first post, and Cen posted this the day he joined so it may well be his first.

Showing 736-750 of 1018