ForumsWEPRShould the world colonize beyond earth?

156 40730
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

This is actually a debate topic, and a dang good one. I want to see what all of you think about this, being a controversial topic.

I personally am against it, It is just another gambit that the economy has to worry about.

• 156 Replies
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

Correction - Half the size of earth. Composition is 2.00 Grams per square centimeter lighter, which means WAY less metals.

We must consider that mars has more land than earth. Also, Distance-wise, about the size of earth. Other factors like gravity, are different.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Listen, none of this stuff will happen until we are able to break the speed of light, or at least prevent aging by cryogenics or something. Humans are not made to last years in space, and we can't go past Mars unless what I said earlier, happens.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

We must consider that mars has more land than earth. Also, Distance-wise, about the size of earth. Other factors like gravity, are different.

The Entire surface of mars is equal to almost the entire above-sea level surface of land on earth.

Gravity 1/3 of earths? If you stay there long enough you could never go back to earth without supports.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Also, Distance-wise, about the size of earth. No, mars is the size of earths Inner and outer core. half the size. Google &quotlanet comparison video" and you will see.

Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Ahh, No one responds.. This is what happens when I triple pwn a noob a guess.

And also, we should colonize the Universe. otherwise we die as a species.

KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

I think the money and resources that would be required to expand into space are better used here on Earth. We can't really even handle things here, so I don't know why we should be thinking about extraterrestrial colonization.

Also, most of the world's issues with population growth are being experienced by countries without the means to even think about expansion into space. Most of the countries with the means to develop a way to live in space aren't having major problems when it comes to population growth, meaning they aren't motivated to put resources towards that cause. For that reason, I think it's unlikely we'll ever colonize beyond Earth.

Oh, and (this isn't a rhetorical question) how would we feed extraterrestrial colonies when we have trouble feeding everyone on Earth?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Most of the countries with the means to develop a way to live in space aren't having major problems when it comes to population growth, meaning they aren't motivated to put resources towards that cause. For that reason, I think it's unlikely we'll ever colonize beyond Earth.

We will have problems when our resources such as fuel and minerals run out.

Oh, and (this isn't a rhetorical question) how would we feed extraterrestrial colonies when we have trouble feeding everyone on Earth?

Again, we do have the capabilities of feeding more people than we have now, just we aren't using our resources fully. By the time our technology enables us to colonise the worlds, hopefully our agricultural technologies have kept abreast as well.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I think the money and resources that would be required to expand into space are better used here on Earth. We can't really even handle things here, so I don't know why we should be thinking about extraterrestrial colonization.

They feed themselves after they settle down.

Also, most of the world's issues with population growth are being experienced by countries without the means to even think about expansion into space. Most of the countries with the means to develop a way to live in space aren't having major problems when it comes to population growth, meaning they aren't motivated to put resources towards that cause. For that reason, I think it's unlikely we'll ever colonize beyond Earth.

We will be forced to eventually. If the population grows then our demand for space (pun unintended) will also grow.

Just wait a few generations.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Yep. Theoretical colony models as of now aim at the colonists feeding themselves seeing how it would take years for another load of food to reach the colonies. Thus they have to be self sufficient.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

Yes, that is a major downside, there will probably be a war about who is going to hold power over the colonies...

the russians, chinese and european space "companys" look at it this way:
the 1st that comes is the 1st that got the resource in their hands and will automaticly dominated the market AT 1ST. other countrys can come and build a other base nearby. we all need the moon. not only for it's resources but also for the other things it has done for the earth so we can live here. no1 of us wants to destroy the moon somehow. (especialy considering extensive digging)
BUT there are only a few places on the moon where we can build a base giving us as much possible protection against the sun. what the ozone layer normaly protects us from.

usa already eliminated itself from being 1st by stoping the space shuttle program and going into the private sector. russia and europe are aiming for 2020 and china wants to go for 2020 but they say they are behind because of money problems (china money problems?) and are now aiming for 2030. (but it wouldn't wonder me if they are going to try it in 2018 already )

source:a 2 hour documentairy on national geograpics about a month ago. and some things ive seeked up after the show.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

china wants to go for 2020 but they say they are behind because of money problems (china money problems?)

They have to spend huge sums modernizing the rest of the country.
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

between ( ) is what i as mayself say / think. and the rest is what the people working for those space programes are saying.

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

ah crap i'm reading to fast again.

They have to spend huge sums modernizing the rest of the country.

that and the failure of their 1 child law that will cost them loads of money.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

that and the failure of their 1 child law that will cost them loads of money.

Agreed.
KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

We will have problems when our resources such as fuel and minerals run out.

But creating and maintaining space colonies will use huge amounts of these resources. I would think resources would be lost overall by getting them from somewhere in space.

How will this happen? We haven't discovered any plant life in space yet and terrestrial plants certainly can't survive on any other known body.
Showing 16-30 of 156