ForumsWEPRShould the world colonize beyond earth?

156 40727
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

This is actually a debate topic, and a dang good one. I want to see what all of you think about this, being a controversial topic.

I personally am against it, It is just another gambit that the economy has to worry about.

• 156 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

They pull on Mars core to make it liquid again.

Yeah...uh, okay, even if that would work...how would you get Europa and Mimas away from Jupiter?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Yeah...uh, okay, even if that would work...how would you get Europa and Mimas away from Jupiter?

Star Wars like technology? To pull away the moons would take some huge strain on the laws of gravity and would just disrupt the balance....
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Star Wars like technology? To pull away the moons would take some huge strain on the laws of gravity and would just disrupt the balance....

The Galilean moons would be ok. It's not like it would screw up their resonance.

We could get an asteroid to orbit Europa and it would pull on it so slightly that eventually Europa would be ejected. We would not need Mimas, as that would get rid of the Cassini division which in my opinion looks awesome.

We could also grab Nitrogen from Saturn's Ammonia clouds and extract the Oxygen from Europa's ice.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Star Wars like technology?

It would almost be more practical to build a Death Star like artificial moon to use instead of trying to move one.

We could get an asteroid to orbit Europa and it would pull on it so slightly that eventually Europa would be ejected. We would not need Mimas, as that would get rid of the Cassini division which in my opinion looks awesome.

We are still left with the same fundamental problem here.

Overall to live in places like Mar I think an enclosed city would be more practical.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

We are still left with the same fundamental problem here.

And what is that?
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

And what is that?

Getting to the point where we can actually pull such a large cosmic body to Earth. By then I think, it would have been much more efficient for us to colonize distant star systems.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Getting to the point where we can actually pull such a large cosmic body to Earth. By then I think, it would have been much more efficient for us to colonize distant star systems.

The asteroid would take care of that. We set a proper trajectory and let loose the asteroid, and we can move it to martian orbit at the cost of Earth loosing the title of having he largest moon to itself.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

The asteroid would take care of that. We set a proper trajectory and let loose the asteroid, and we can move it to martian orbit at the cost of Earth loosing the title of having he largest moon to itself.

Problem, finding an appropriate asteroid, (assuming it's from the Asteroid belt), and even ''letting loose'' (kind of vague here, elaborate please), which would require quite a force to oppose the asteroid's natural direction.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Problem, finding an appropriate asteroid, (assuming it's from the Asteroid belt), and even ''letting loose'' (kind of vague here, elaborate please), which would require quite a force to oppose the asteroid's natural direction.

Or we could get an asteroid in its natural direction and accelerate it to Jupiter. We could also just take one of the asteroid already orbiting Jupiter and use it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Or we could get an asteroid in its natural direction and accelerate it to Jupiter. We could also just take one of the asteroid already orbiting Jupiter and use it.

Which still takes a lot of energy and power seeing how the asteroid needs to have a pretty high mass. Also, the distance from here to Jupiter is not a trifle; it's still pretty far. Even if it did occur it would be a short term solution; colonization is still a more long term solution.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

Which still takes a lot of energy and power seeing how the asteroid needs to have a pretty high mass. Also, the distance from here to Jupiter is not a trifle; it's still pretty far. Even if it did occur it would be a short term solution; colonization is still a more long term solution.

...So you plan on moving it this century? My plan would take a few. Also, there are over 60+ moons of Jupiter, most of them moonlets.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

...So you plan on moving it this century? My plan would take a few. Also, there are over 60+ moons of Jupiter, most of them moonlets.

No I don't, but by the turn of the Century we would probably have enough space-faring technology to colonize, instead of relying on such methods.
HahiHa
HahiHa
8,253 posts
Regent

Well, as long as the economy doesn't understand that growth isn't strictly necessary and that stability is much better, we'll have to move from the planet somewhen, way before it looks like Coruscant..
Speaking of which, I immediately had to think of Coruscant when looking at some of these amazing shots from the ISS:
Watch and marvel
Makes you think a bit..

http://worldbridgermedia.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2007/03/coruscant.jpg

mightybob
mightybob
360 posts
Peasant

if you want to meet up with the borg... be my guest!

partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

hahiha, is that a pics of a world whit 1 giant city? (link aint working)

if so then that will not happen in the near few 1000 year.
atm all 7 billion people living on this world would fit into los angeles (LA)

so to have 1 giant city all over the world we would need atleast 700 billion people. and by that time our consumerism would have killed this earth already.

Showing 61-75 of 156