ForumsWEPRShould the world colonize beyond earth?

156 40729
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

This is actually a debate topic, and a dang good one. I want to see what all of you think about this, being a controversial topic.

I personally am against it, It is just another gambit that the economy has to worry about.

• 156 Replies
partydevil
partydevil
5,129 posts
Jester

I would think resources would be lost overall by getting them from somewhere in space.

the problem is that the resource they are looking for does barely exist on earth. it's "more rare then diamonds". and not just a bit more rare.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

But creating and maintaining space colonies will use huge amounts of these resources. I would think resources would be lost overall by getting them from somewhere in space.

Asteroid mining is a big thing, with virtually limitless amounts of resources.

How will this happen? We haven't discovered any plant life in space yet and terrestrial plants certainly can't survive on any other known body.

Growing crops from Earth in modified greenhouses. Does that answer your question?
GeneralCarnage
GeneralCarnage
4 posts
Nomad

Of course we'll have to move into space. This is not a financial issue. anyone who thinks that we cannot do this because of money: open your eyes! this is not about money! this is about the survival of our species! and besides you'll make money from the resouces on other planets anyway!

bigjacob
bigjacob
578 posts
Farmer

I dont care either way but as long as it doesnt happen in mky lifetime ill be happy.

PanzerTank
PanzerTank
1,707 posts
Nomad

Well I see one big problem, we run into some unknown virus or disease early on into our space travel colonization and get wiped out from it.

That's paranoia though lol...

Eventually when our science become apt enough we will have to from either to large a population, global warming, lack of resources or most likely all three

Imriel
Imriel
6 posts
Nomad

Of course we should! Our species is fragile, one comet or asteroid could make us a memory. A gamma ray burst or any of the millions of ways the galaxy could kill us are more reasons why the human race should spread out. Then the abundance of metals and the ease of access, especially if you mine the asteroid belt.

And for people traveling at the speed of light or close to means you don't age like everyone outside of your perspective. You barely age at all really.

KMRaider
KMRaider
197 posts
Scribe

Asteroid mining is a big thing, with virtually limitless amounts of resources.

Oh, okay, that makes sense.

Growing crops from Earth in modified greenhouses. Does that answer your question?

Yes and no. With my most recent question I was inquiring as to how the settlers would be able to feed themselves, thus being self-sufficient as you said would be required.
loloynage2
loloynage2
4,206 posts
Peasant

Listen, none of this stuff will happen until we are able to break the speed of light, or at least prevent aging by cryogenics or something. Humans are not made to last years in space, and we can't go past Mars unless what I said earlier, happens.

Or if we discover some sort of traveling way, like wormholes.
How will this happen? We haven't discovered any plant life in space yet and terrestrial plants certainly can't survive on any other known body.

Actually, NASA is seriously taking the option of terraforming as a possibility for Mars. And the best part, we would have the technology to do it.
90 posts
Nomad

As many people have said before me,

Why not?

dragonhunter422
dragonhunter422
130 posts
Nomad

sure, why not?

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Actually, NASA is seriously taking the option of terraforming as a possibility for Mars. And the best part, we would have the technology to do it.

I would like to know how they plan to give the planet a magnetosphere so it can support an atmosphere in the first place.
recneps1337
recneps1337
453 posts
Nomad

weave already screwed up earth do we realy want to screw up other worlds. that is seriously my opinion on the matter.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

weave already screwed up earth do we realy want to screw up other worlds. that is seriously my opinion on the matter.

The first half of your opinion just explained answered why we would want to do the second half of your opinion.
90 posts
Nomad

Well if the other worlds being spoken of are lifeless, then why shouldn't we? It's not hurting anyone/thing if nothing is there

recneps1337
recneps1337
453 posts
Nomad

The first half of your opinion just explained answered why we would want to do the second half of your opinion.

the second sentance was just if someone thought" dude are you serious"
but we do have a population on a planate that cant sustain us in the 6billion strong population or so and we bread more like rats as far as the environment is conserned were rats with a gundestoying the world if we ever leave its because we wont have a choice because wed run out of oxogen.
Showing 31-45 of 156