ForumsWEPRShould the world colonize beyond earth?

156 40725
lilzozo
lilzozo
53 posts
Nomad

This is actually a debate topic, and a dang good one. I want to see what all of you think about this, being a controversial topic.

I personally am against it, It is just another gambit that the economy has to worry about.

• 156 Replies
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

the second sentance was just if someone thought" dude are you serious"
but we do have a population on a planate that cant sustain us in the 6billion strong population or so and we bread more like rats as far as the environment is conserned were rats with a gundestoying the world if we ever leave its because we wont have a choice because wed run out of oxogen.

As of now, 7 Billion people. And if we colonize an icy world we could extract Oxygen from the ice.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I would like to know how they plan to give the planet a magnetosphere so it can support an atmosphere in the first place.

Call in Europa and Mimas, they will help start a dynamo.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

but we do have a population on a planate that cant sustain us in the 6billion strong population or so and we bread more like rats as far as the environment is conserned were rats with a gundestoying the world if we ever leave its because we wont have a choice because wed run out of oxogen.

We won't run out of oxygen anytime soon. We'll probably run out of resources much much earlier.

Plants exhale O2 as a waste gas when they photosynthesise. They constantly take in the CO2 produced by most living things, and convert it to oxygen, which is a sustainable cycle.

Chemistry ahead.

6 CO2 + 12 H2O + photons â' C6H12O6 + 6 O2 + 6 H2O
carbon dioxide + water + light energy â' glucose + oxygen + waterâ

You can see that for ever 6 molecules of carbon dioxide absorbed 6 molecules (O2) of oxygen are created. The rest of the O2 molecules went into converting to water or sugar for the plant (C6H12O6)

The amount of plant life on the planet is simply so vast that it outstrips what we breathe in despite deforestation going on. Your humble weed keeps you alive. Furthermore the plant that produces most of our oxygen (70% - 80%) is the algae. Deforestation does not affect that.

Read more here.

Oxygen from the ice

I'm assuming you mean from the water? If so, we need to convert it which requires a lot of energy. It's not efficient.
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

I'm assuming you mean from the water? If so, we need to convert it which requires a lot of energy. It's not efficient.

I thought he was talking about if we colonize other worlds we would run out of Oxygen.. Oops!
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I think we should try and fix some problems here. I can understand looking outwards for solutions to the energy crisis but we need to do something about pollution. And by getting rid of pollution we could even gain resources.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I think we should try and fix some problems here. I can understand looking outwards for solutions to the energy crisis but we need to do something about pollution. And by getting rid of pollution we could even gain resources.

There are a finite amount of resources on Earth, we can't ''gain'' any through cutting down on pollution.

but we need to do something about pollution.

Scientists already are, but some forms of energy generation aren't possible at all locations. Hydro power is limited to areas with large rivers or bodies of water and wind farming only at places with high occurrence of suitable wind.

At least assuming you mean pollution from energy generation.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

the second sentance was just if someone thought" dude are you serious"

That's not what i meant. I was saying that you asked "do we realy want to screw up other worlds", but you answered that by saying "weave already screwed up earth". If our planet is screwed up, we need a new one.

weave already screwed up earth do we realy want to screw up other worlds. that is seriously my opinion on the matter.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

*sigh* quote failed there

weave already screwed up earth do we realy want to screw up other worlds. that is seriously my opinion on the matter.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

There are a finite amount of resources on Earth, we can't ''gain'' any through cutting down on pollution.

We can't gain any resources, but we should be able to use our pollution in some benefitial way or change it so that its not pollution anymore.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

but we should be able to use our pollution in some benefitial way

How does one make an oil spill a positive thing? Or a mercury spillage into a river? The most we can do is to curb it.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

How does one make an oil spill a positive thing? Or a mercury spillage into a river? The most we can do is to curb it.

Well not those type of pollutants. More like the pollutants in the air from factories. I'd like to see us filter that and do something useful with it.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

Well not those type of pollutants. More like the pollutants in the air from factories. I'd like to see us filter that and do something useful with it.

What we filter off is mostly junk, that is extremely dangerous. Only some part is recyclable, parts of fly ash have already been recycled, such as making cement.

Here's a list of what such pollutants can be recycled into.

However there are some pollutants that are just impossible to recapture and utilise. Gases such as carbon dioxide and sulfur dioxide (causes acid rain) are just a few to name. What can be filtered off are tiny solid particles, not gases.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Call in Europa and Mimas, they will help start a dynamo.

How do we use a moon around Jupiter and a moon around Saturn to start a dynamo for Mars?
Aeridani
Aeridani
360 posts
Nomad

How do we use a moon around Jupiter and a moon around Saturn to start a dynamo for Mars?

They pull on Mars core to make it liquid again. Have you read the current theory about Mars had a large moon which made a magnetic field which led to an atmosphere which lead to water? We could do it again!
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I'm pretty sure we can and do capture carbon dioxide. Link so I think that we need to do better with this. Find ways to get it out of our atmosphere and lUbe even separate it into carbon and oxygen.

Showing 46-60 of 156