ForumsWEPRPROTECT IP and SOPA

73 23152
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Information about the acts and their impacts (sorry that I couldn't find anything unbiased).

What does everyone think about these acts? Will it truly lead to the 'death of the internet' in America and set dangerous precedents for other countries/governments? Or are people just blowing it up out of proportion?

From all the news stories that I've read about it, it seems like these acts really could be disastrous (if they manage to pass), but I want to get other peoples' views/opinions on the subject.

• 73 Replies
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Be a HERO and Help STOP SOPA Now!! I'll tell you How! This Video that Must Be SHARED!

I'm glad you already posted this video. You saved me some work. : )

What do you think of what this guy is saying? Might work? I also find this bill even more disturbing with the part where he points out the British kid who the US is demanding to be expedited for linking to copy right infringing material. So this means the SOPA bill won't just effect those of us in America.

The only reason they were able to go after the British kid is because the US is on good terms with Britain. If it were a different nation whom didn't have strong ties to the US, this kind of behavior would heavily strain relations between the two.

I wish Viacom didn't have a monopoly over just about every single thing on TV.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

The only reason they were able to go after the British kid is because the US is on good terms with Britain. If it were a different nation whom didn't have strong ties to the US, this kind of behavior would heavily strain relations between the two.

Then could it be safe to say it could at least have an impact on Britain?
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

Then could it be safe to say it could at least have an impact on Britain?

Most definitely. The fact the attack on the British student happened without SOPA is evidence that the government has too much power over other nations as it is.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd
xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

if they want to control the internet why stopping with the internet? control everything: what people say, what people do, anything that they dont like as like art, t.v., games (i mean not only flash games)...they could start to control the live of everyone with a device. if you do or say something wrong you get punished. and then they say your free.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

if they want to control the internet why stopping with the internet? control everything: what people say, what people do, anything that they dont like as like art, t.v., games (i mean not only flash games)...they could start to control the live of everyone with a device. if you do or say something wrong you get punished. and then they say your free.

Isn't that just a slippery slope argument that's fallacious? Be careful where you walk the tightrope my friend.
Avorne
Avorne
3,085 posts
Nomad

Here are the thoughts of Jonathon Coulton, an established musician, on the recent take-down of Megaupload and on SOPA/PIPA in general.

Also, has anyone heard about ACTA? I keep hearing things about it being the 'European/Global SOPA' but I can't really find much about the details.

Rayce002
Rayce002
135 posts
Scribe

Man, this stuff is crazy. I just finished reading Little Brother and 1984, and both are sounding a lot like the conversation here. Maybe Doctorow and Orwell (respectively) were right when they wrote those books.

sirmed1
sirmed1
56 posts
Farmer

Rayce002, trying reading some of Ayn Rands work, if you understand the philosophy, politics start to get terrifying.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Also, has anyone heard about ACTA? I keep hearing things about it being the 'European/Global SOPA' but I can't really find much about the details.

Here's the wiki on it.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-Counterfeiting_Trade_Agreement

Here's some videos I've posted in other threads.
Say NO to ACTA [EVERYONE MUST SEE[ [HD]
Stop ACTA! ACTA explained - Animation

This one might explain why you haven't heard much of it.
ACTA Secret: Obama Lord of the RIAA Copyright Trolls Movie Trailer Mike Mozart STEAL THIS VIDEO!
Rayce002
Rayce002
135 posts
Scribe

Rayce002, trying reading some of Ayn Rands work, if you understand the philosophy, politics start to get terrifying.

I've started Atlas Shrugged, but it's going slow because there's soo much to process.
CommanderBrenden
CommanderBrenden
709 posts
Nomad

I dislike this idea... if the internet dies... there is gonna be alot of protest against sopa... SO I SAY NAY! <- lol

Rayce002
Rayce002
135 posts
Scribe

Well, there already is a TON of protest against SOPA. As for the internet dying...let's hope it doesn't. I like killing zombies.

xAyjAy
xAyjAy
4,710 posts
Blacksmith

You don't have to daydream anymore.

^i hope they are kidding us...

^sarcasm. i wanted not to give them ideas, i said that if they want to control the internet, why would they stop with the internet? play this and you understand what i mean.

MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,462 posts
Farmer

Here's a petition that you guys can sign going against ACTA. In ways ACTA is worse since it's a global treaty.
http://www.avaaz.org/en/eu_save_the_internet_spread/

Showing 46-60 of 73