ForumsThe TavernDo you think being a mod would sound fun?

212 24456
invalid777
invalid777
2,074 posts
Nomad

Well, okay. You know that there are those people who spam the site (Don't comment on that, Cen). You know tere are people who are always yelling at the mods, etc. But is it really that bad? You still get to have a fun time on ArmorGames, and the users who use AG well respect them. So do you think it's really that bad?

• 212 Replies
TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

well maybe not anymore, i have seen the new user Luthix around on most everyone's profile, i think i've left 2 comments on his profile and he hasn't responded to either of them and he's been on for only a week and he has over 5,000 armor points most of which are from comments, i'm pretty sure he goes around and comments on almost everyone's profile that he finds and i bet he's just AP farming, regardless he's starting to get on my nerves and i'm not sure if i would like to have to deal with him if i was a mod because i see him so much but i can't say that all of his posts are spam

~manly man

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

@ManlyMan:
Here's an idea: Report him instead of calling him out on the forums. That way, you don't face a ban yourself.
This way, you just made a post about an individual user in a negative context, accusing them of breaking the rules without evidence.

Even if he is getting to your nerves, he shouldn't have gone to your head and caused a brain malfunction that makes you break the rules too, should he?
Not a very modly behaviour, that.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

@cenere: i just really had to get that out but you're right, the forums were not the place to do it, sorry

R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

Well mayb not a mod but an admin would certainly be better mods r just one rank down from being an admin

Skeleton_Pilot
Skeleton_Pilot
1,361 posts
Blacksmith

Well mayb not a mod but an admin would certainly be better

Why... so you can ban users permanently rather than just temporarily? xD

I would not want to be an admin, simply because I wouldn't be able to handle that kind of pressure! Moderator responsibilities are heavy, but being an admin would add the pressure of being paid! I'd prefer to do these things on my own time, not on a paid salary!
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Not to mention that admins get thrown every problem and are expected to fix every one of them. Mods do get their fair share of random reports, but they usually aren't the ones who your average user will scream at if there's some site glitch.

And of course, being an admin requires some basic programming knowledge.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

And of course, being an admin requires some basic programming knowledge.

Meh, more than basic. All of them basically work as programmers/coders, which means at least a college degree in that field. As many of them do possess.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

All of them basically work as programmers/coders, which means at least a college degree in that field.

It isn't a requirement, though, is it? Carlie was the community manager for a few years and I don't recall her being a programmer of any sort.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It isn't a requirement, though, is it?

Judging from the jobs page it looks like it is. I think Carlie was an exception since she was married to John.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I think Carlie was an exception since she was married to John.

I would wager that being the Forum boss doesn't actually take much programming skill. Or zilch.
Q_File
Q_File
108 posts
Nomad

I would wager that being the Forum boss doesn't actually take much programming skill.

Other than good judgment and people skills, what does being the forum boss actually entail?
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I think Carlie was an exception since she was married to John.

Carlie wasn't married to John until the end of her run as community manager.

I would wager that being the Forum boss doesn't actually take much programming skill. Or zilch.

If the tools you need are already there for you, it's basically just the moderator position but with greater powers. There's no reason why programming would be required.

Other than good judgment and people skills, what does being the forum boss actually entail?

Good judgment doesn't cut it. Your judgment has to be unquestionable; if there's any doubt as to how you would use your extended abilities, you would not be considered for the position.
GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

Carlie wasn't married to John until the end of her run as community manager.

She was friends with them, which could've been enough.
DrElmer
DrElmer
552 posts
Shepherd

What would be hard about being a moderator? It only sounds like demanding work if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort. If you enjoy helping out the community in this particular way, I don't see why it couldn't be enjoyable at the same time.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

What would be hard about being a moderator? It only sounds like demanding work if you aren't willing to put in the time and effort. If you enjoy helping out the community in this particular way, I don't see why it couldn't be enjoyable at the same time.

Because it's not just the Community. In fact, most of the work is in handling the game comments.
Showing 196-210 of 212