ForumsThe TavernAG Presidential Election 2012

197 30316
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

--I'm not sure if this fits better in the Tavern or in the WEPR, so mods, move it as you see fit(of course you would do that regardless, but still--
As I'm sure AG's American members know, in 2012 the United States will be electing a new president or reelecting the incumbent. Normally this is done with electoral colleges, primaries, etc. on a national level. But I thought it would be kind of cool to hold a mock presidential election in AG, just to see what happens. The candidates will be the same, the only difference is that the voting will be on a much smaller scale. You guys will vote for which presidential candidate you like best, and at the end of two weeks(I may extend or shorten this deadline) we will see who the president of the United States should be, according to the members of AG.
But before we start voting between Obama and the Republican candidate, first we have to vote for a Republican candidate in the primary. I'm gonna change the rules a bit on the primary: you don't have to be a Republican in order to vote on the Republican primary. That's because there is no Democratic primary, Obama is the undisputed presidential candidate for the Democrats. The Republican who gets the most votes on AG, regardless of who wins the actual primary, will be the one moving on to face off against the incumbent Obama.
Rules
1. You can only vote once, unless you vote once in the primary and once in the main election.
2. In order for your vote to count, you must provide a reason for why you want that person to be president or to win the primary.
3. Let's try and keep this civil: no slandering, name-calling, or making fun of anyone because of their vote.
We are currently voting on the Republican primary(so no voting for Obama yet, vote for which Republican you want to be the party's candidate). I will be tallying the votes at the end of week one to determine the Republican primary winner, then we will start voting on who should be the actual president. At the end of week two, I will tally the votes from that election and post who is the official President of the United States as decided by ArmorGames.

• 197 Replies
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Saying you won't vote for someone because they're old is like me saying I won't vote for Mitt Romney because I don't like his hair cut. You should place your vote based on the ideas and thoughts of the individual, not because of there age.

I also posted some points on why I don't want Ron Paul for president. Age is a factor, especially if he nominates a crazy for VP like McCain did with Sarah Palin. Ron Paul, like John McCain, would be a heart-attack away from leaving the White House in a hearse, not the presidential helicopter.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Currently, Iran has the mentality of a two year old, in the sense that since we are telling them not to do something, they are trying to do it no matter how many time-outs (sanctions) we give them. Their main goal right now is to acheive nuclear capability, and since that is where they are devoting many resources, I feel that no matter how many sanctions we lay on them, nothing would deter them short of a complete economic shutdown or military strike.

Let's assume that Iran does acquire nuclear capabilities. Then what do you think they would do?

Could you please post some of his economic theories on here? I am very interested in seeing what his taxation plan would be for the US, and if he is one of the mainstream Republicans who refuse to raise taxes.

That would take a long time...is it all right if I just post a link? >.> Sorry, I'm not trying to cop out or anything, but it's easier this way.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Age is a factor, especially if he nominates a crazy for VP like McCain did with Sarah Palin.

Perhaps you should take a gander at this article: Ageism. You might find it enlightening.

Ron Paul, like John McCain, would be a heart-attack away from leaving the White House in a hearse, not the presidential helicopter

I was unaware that you had access to Ron Paul's health records. Besides, if John McCain is so close to dieing on us, he better hurry up.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Another thing: I support 90% of Ron Paul's foreign policy, but his lack of support for Israel is very offputting. Huntsman, on the other hand, supports Israel. That's part of why I like him.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

I really don't follow politics much, but from I know on topics I care about, every candidate except for Ron Paul is against or indifferent to gay marriage. Rick Perry and Santorum are by far the worst (Rick is also worse than Santorum) but the only person who seems to support it is Paul.

To make it even better, Paul supports Israel. His ideas of how to help israel (such as to stop giving them money) are different, but what he believes what he is doing is in Israel's best interests. Most if not all the candidates seem to support Israel, but I can't support them with their other views.

So my vote is obviously for Ron Paul, though I really don't know much about politics so I can't say how intelligent this is.

Also, if i had to pick my least favorite, it would be Rick Perry. The idiot is a hypocritical bigot who doesn't seem to understand that America isn't a Christian country, and there is such thing as separation of church and state.

Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Republican Primary
Ron Paul: 2
Mitt Romney: 1
Jon Huntsman: 1
Rick Santorum: 0
Newt Gingrich: 0
Rick Perry: 0

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

To make it even better, Paul supports Israel. His ideas of how to help israel (such as to stop giving them money) are different, but what he believes what he is doing is in Israel's best interests.

lololololololololololol

Sorry, I thought that you were joking. Ron Paul is probably the absolute worst candidate when it comes to Israel. There is a reason he wasn't allowed to speak that the Republican Jewish Coalition. He doesn't support Israel at all, and the best way that he can show that is by cutting off all funding to Israel.

Perhaps you should take a gander at this article: Ageism. You might find it enlightening.

That's nice. Please, tell me when age isn't a factor in deciding the vote. Am I biased a bit because of age? Yes, because I don't want a president who is going to die of natural causes in office, simply because he was too old to handle the stress of the job!

Let's assume that Iran does acquire nuclear capabilities. Then what do you think they would do?

If by nuclear capabilities you mean acquire nuclear weapons, than I feel that they will use them as a method of aggression against Israel and Western countries. If Iran gets nuclear weapons, expect Israel to strike at the location that they are being held at, and hopefully, the nukes would be damaged beyond repair, or in the worst case scenario, they either detonate or are not harmed at all, and we would have one hell of a war on our hands.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Sorry, I thought that you were joking. Ron Paul is probably the absolute worst candidate when it comes to Israel. There is a reason he wasn't allowed to speak that the Republican Jewish Coalition. He doesn't support Israel at all, and the best way that he can show that is by cutting off all funding to Israel.

Like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about. All i know is, form what i've read, he's pretty much opposed to giving any foreign countries support, and he thinks it will benefit Israel to stop giving them a piggy back ride, which I won't say i think is true, but he's at least not anymore anti-israel as he is any other country.
Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Am I biased a bit because of age? Yes,

Which therefore delegitimizes your point.
zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

Which therefore delegitimizes your point.

Thanks for removing my post out of context.
Hypermnestra
Hypermnestra
26,390 posts
Nomad

Like I said, I don't know what I'm talking about. All i know is, form what i've read, he's pretty much opposed to giving any foreign countries support, and he thinks it will benefit Israel to stop giving them a piggy back ride, which I won't say i think is true, but he's at least not anymore anti-israel as he is any other country.

Um...didn't Ron Paul say that Israel created the Hamas?
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Um...didn't Ron Paul say that Israel created the Hamas?

Apparently yes, but there is some reasoning behind this thought.
dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

Okay, heres the thing. I sortof agree with zakyman. And heres why. The point he's making has some facts to back it up.

The average life expectancy of U.S males is 75 years. Link (the data is pretty recent and btw the u.s is 36.)

Ron Paul is 76. link

So I don't think it's fair that we shouldn't vote for him just because hes old. But if someone wants to challenge him, then I think they should go ahead. (and I might even recommend it.) Because if we don't have his medical history, then for all we know he could drop any second.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

Yes, but the fact that he's running for president shows that he has some level of confidence in his personal health.

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

If he does become president, he'll be the oldest person to ever become president, right after Reagan who took office when he was 69.

Showing 16-30 of 197