ForumsWEPRHeaven and Hell?

811 182922
44Flames
44Flames
585 posts
Nomad

I am catholic so I believe that there is heaven and hell. I do beleive that you have to do good in this world to be able to go to heaven but if you do evil and bad more than good in this world I do believe that you will go to hell.

Heaven it is hard to concept the thought of living for eternity in heaven and that everything would be perfect and everyone would be nice and kind.

Hell it is also very hard to think that you will be punished for many years until getting the chance to go to heaven. Also you could be in hell for eternity suffering if you do very bad things in this world.

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

Is God really real?

Discuss, it can be short or long answers or views.

• 811 Replies
crazzyperson54
crazzyperson54
4 posts
Nomad

I was born into a family of Lutherans but I don't believe in god. I guess after listing to stories from the bible all the time they just became stories for me. It's not a matter of science or not. There are a lot of god stories out there but they don't mean anything to me because I asked myself why do I believe? I didn't have an answer.

thepunisher93
thepunisher93
1,825 posts
Nomad

god is not real thats the cold hard truth. r u that stuid to really belive all that stuff its a load of crap. it is scientifically impossible.

Who u think you are to tell me what is right and what is wrong?
Do I tell you that you'll go to hell if you don't believe in god?
You believe what you want to believe and i'll believe what I want to believe.
Kaidou16
Kaidou16
20 posts
Nomad

What is you thought on heaven and hell?

I believe that there is in fact a heaven and a hell. And that, as a Christian, you need to believe and trust in God to get into Heaven.

Do you beleive in heaven and hell?

Yes.

Do you think you will go to heaven or hell?

I do hope that I will go to heaven. I have given my life to Christ, and am doing my best to follow His word every step of the way.

Is God really real?

I certainly believe He is. I trust He is.

For those of you who may say that because we can't see God, he doesn't exist, let me tell you something.
We can't see gravity, but we know it exists because when we jump, we come back down.
We can't see air, yet we know it exists because we breath it.
(For those who still believe in Santa) You don't see him, yet you still believe he exists.
We can't see carbon monoxide, but we know it exists because it kills people.
We can't see Heaven or Hell, but we know/believe they exist.

Explain to me then, why, even though we can't see God, we choose not to believe that He is real?
Saying you don't believe is like saying there's no gravity. Even Satan believes in God.
Kaidou16
Kaidou16
20 posts
Nomad

god is not real thats the cold hard truth. r u that stuid to really belive all that stuff its a load of crap. it is scientifically impossible.

You really think insulting people is gonna make them believe? You obviously have never gone to church. Or maybe you're just to ignorant to know that that
load of crap
you speak of is your Creator.
Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

You obviously have never gone to church. Or maybe you're just to ignorant to know that that

He's ignorant of knowing the feelings of the church-goers, but not of the knowledge of "how thangs go down 'round here, yo". It is the church-goers that are the uninformed, due to using "knowledge" of conflicting, unverifiable, untestable, and barely observable premises. If you catch my lingo.

This is what the Creationists think. Not all believe so. Some (like I) do not believe in the fantastic like Creationism and instead want to learn of the mundane, where you can observe, test, verify, record, and bolster the knowledge you gain. If we have knowledge of life's origins (and even before that) using science, then there is no reason to use religion to do the same, seeing as how we actually know how and why, instead of guessing that's "how thangs go down 'round here, yo".
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

We can't see gravity, but we know it exists because when we jump, we come back down.

Gravity is testable and mass is quantifiable.

We can't see air, yet we know it exists because we breath it. We can't see carbon monoxide, but we know it exists because it kills people.

Elements can be verified physically.

(For those who still believe in Santa) You don't see him, yet you still believe he exists.

Oh? You don't believe in Santa anymore? Why not? Also, we see pictures of him all the time on Coke bottles or in person in parades.
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,447 posts
Jester

Even Satan believes in God.

Even Hades believes in Zeus.
Kaidou16
Kaidou16
20 posts
Nomad

This is what the Creationists think.

If you say that, clearly you're an evolutionist. Explain to me then, how the moon can be 400 times closer to the earth than the sun, and 400 smaller than the sun, making them appear to be the same size. Explain how that can happen by 'accident'. Explain how, if the moon was 0.01% bigger or that much closer, the tide would be over 100 ft, yet if it was 0.01% smaller or that much farther away, the tide wouldn't be enough. Explain to me how that can possibly be caused by an explosion, or an accident.

Oh? You don't believe in Santa anymore? Why not? Also, we see pictures of him all the time on Coke bottles or in person in parades.

Well, considering your comments before that, you should know that the North Pole isn't capable of sustaining life on it. Not for as long as 'Santa' has been around. Also, the myth that some fat old guy dives through your chimney on Christmas Eve, just think about how dumb that sounds. There are over 6, maybe over 7 billion people in the world. It's impossible for one person to go to every one of them in one night, even if the different timezones help.

Even Hades believes in Zeus.

If you have physical proof that Hades or Zeus exist, let me know.
goumas13
goumas13
4,752 posts
Grand Duke

Well, first of all, they are not exactly the same size. Both the Earth and Moon have eliptical orbits, thus some times the Sun appears bigger than others. The same applies for the Moon. The distance between the Earth, Moon, Sun constantly changes.

Plus, the Moon is getting further away from Earth. At the time of its formation, the Moon sat much closer to the Earth - a mere 14,000 miles away, compared with the quarter of a million miles between the Earth and the Moon today.

So, yes, it's beyond reasoanable doubt a coincidence. In a few more eons, the moon will be far enough away that we no longer have total solar eclipses.

f you have physical proof that Hades or Zeus exist, let me know.

Please, don't shift the burden of proof. You are placing the burden of proof on the wrong side. You are the one who has to provide evidence for his position.
When debating any issue, there is an implicit burden of proof on the person asserting a claim.

You claim God exists, ergo you have to provide independent evidence which backs up your claim. Good luck with that!
BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

The Bishop of Buckingham visited my religious studies class today and he was surprisingly liberal for such a high member of the Protestant church of England. He said that Heaven isn't a perfect version of this life (and I quote) 'Not with gold taps and stuff' but a different life we can't comprehend.

He also said that they were both frames of mind.

More importantly he said that if you are good, and it doesn't matter what religion you follow, you will go to Heaven. The Devil won't take you as 'Love will always prevail'

But the most important thing he said, and what I have often said, there is no point devoting you're life to Heaven. He you need to focus on you're life now. It is stupid to just wait for death so you can go to Heaven.

I personally don't believe in Heaven and Hell but what he said in my lesson really spoke to me as he shared many of my views, except that of course that God exists. But we shared what I believe he would do if he existed.

BritHennerz
BritHennerz
408 posts
Farmer

You really think insulting people is gonna make them believe?

Lets not forget missionaries used to make people convert at knife or gun point and that Christianity ruled by fear in the Middle Ages.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

For those of you who may say that because we can't see God, he doesn't exist, let me tell you something.

notice what you wrote about every one of those things? the things that are proven have a BECAUSE after them.

Explain to me then, why, even though we can't see God, we choose not to believe that He is real?
Saying you don't believe is like saying there's no gravity. Even Satan believes in God.

nope. we feel gravity. humans ivented the TERM gravity and gravity is the force that pulls us to earth. we can obviously feel it. god on the other hand is a term that means an entity that knows everything and controlls everything. we can prove a force that pulls us to earth exists but we cant prove such an entity exists. besides, who said satan exists?

You really think insulting people is gonna make them believe? You obviously have never gone to church. Or maybe you're just to ignorant to know that that

so you think that if he would go to church he would suddenly believe in god? really? you obviously never visted in a budha shrine, synoagouge (however you spell this in english) or that place where arabs pray which i dont know in english.

again, if he exists. and if he exists and burn him in hell for saying such a thing... he is a pretty horibble creator i have to say
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Yes we accept gravity because of it's observable effects.

Yes we again see it's effect, however we can also physically see oxygen by drastically reducing it's temperature to the point it reaches a liquid state.
See, here's a picture of it.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/82/Liquid_Oxygen.gif

Believing in God, Heaven, Hell etc. is more like this example then the first two. This one has no observable objective evidence supporting it, thus we don't accept Santa exists.

Because why? What measurable objectively verifiable evidence do we have for Heaven and Hell?

Because like Santa there is no evidence for God.

No, it's like saying there is no Santa. Because niether have supporting evidence for them, unlike gravity. Also I don't believe Satan is real either.

If you say that, clearly you're an evolutionist. Explain to me then, how the moon can be 400 times closer to the earth than the sun, and 400 smaller than the sun, making them appear to be the same size. Explain how that can happen by 'accident'. Explain how, if the moon was 0.01% bigger or that much closer, the tide would be over 100 ft, yet if it was 0.01% smaller or that much farther away, the tide wouldn't be enough. Explain to me how that can possibly be caused by an explosion, or an accident.

goumas13 answered this pretty well though I would like to add one thing. This has nothing to do with evolution. This question deals with astronomy.

Well, considering your comments before that, you should know that the North Pole isn't capable of sustaining life on it. Not for as long as 'Santa' has been around. Also, the myth that some fat old guy dives through your chimney on Christmas Eve, just think about how dumb that sounds. There are over 6, maybe over 7 billion people in the world. It's impossible for one person to go to every one of them in one night, even if the different timezones help.

And we can dismiss the existence of God as described in the Bible for similar reasoning.

Exactly! Your statement that Satan believe God exists is no different from the statement that Hade believe Zeus exists. This gives us no reason what so ever to believe God exists just as Hade believing Zeus exist gives us no reason to believe Zeus exists.
Bladerunner679
Bladerunner679
2,488 posts
Blacksmith

I believe that there is in fact a heaven and a @#!*% . And that, as a Christian, you need to believe and trust in God to get into Heaven.

oh goodie, another religious zealot. you'd fit perfectly with AoGC because both you and them share the same thing. you place your life in the hands of a false concept.

I do hope that I will go to heaven. I have given my life to Christ, and am doing my best to follow His word every step of the way.

lol, you're in for a big let-down. WORMFOOD!

We can't see Heaven or @#!*% , but we know/believe they exist.

except for god, santa, and satan, we've proven the existience of everything on there, and we also have ways of measuring them.

funny, your religion also believed the world was flat once, we proved that wrong just like your god.

ironic that when I first became an atheist, my former christian friends insulted me and then tried to re-convert me. how hypocritical of you.

god didn't create man, man created god. see what I did? I have no backing for that statement, so I don't expect you to believe it, just like how I don't believe in your god.

pure chance, and you seem to think the big bang has something to do with the moons position. you don't know much about science, do you?

he was making fun of you, genius.

we have the same amount of proof for your god as well, none.

quit trying to dodge the subject, and prove that your god exists. no, the bible doesn't count, nor that special feeling you get when you think god has a hand in something. I'm talking cold, hard, undeniable fact, something that religion has nothing of.

-Blade
master565
master565
4,107 posts
Nomad

If you say that, clearly you're an evolutionist.

I'm not sure how being an evolutionist is relevant to astronomy.

Explain to me then, how the moon can be 400 times closer to the earth than the sun, and 400 smaller than the sun, making them appear to be the same size.

What is so hard to understand about perspective?

Explain how, if the moon was 0.01% bigger or that much closer, the tide would be over 100 ft, yet if it was 0.01% smaller or that much farther away, the tide wouldn't be enough.

I'm pretty sure you're pulling this fact out of your ***, because I can't find anything about this on google and goumas explained pretty well why this couldn't be true.

Explain to me how that can possibly be caused by an explosion, or an accident.

Explain how it couldn't be caused by an explosion or accident.
Showing 706-720 of 811