ForumsThe TavernDo You Type the "B" Key With Your Right or Left Hand?

42 44043
Osumnis
Osumnis
1,147 posts
Shepherd

I noticed that "B" has a pretty equal distance from both the left and right index fingers (if you type with all fingers) and then whenever I come to the "B" key I have to stop and think if I should type it with my left or right hand. I usually end up using my left.

• 42 Replies
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I use both. It depends on the letter that will come after the B. For example...that last capital b (and this latest one) I used my left hand because my right hand was going over to the period. In the b in because I used my right hand because my left hand was going to hit the e while my right hit the b.

So yeah. I never really thought about it.

It would be nice to have someone else say what they use for three reasons.

1) I don't type properly, I'm self taught.
2) I do things strangely.
3) I'm ambidextrous, and don't have a dominant hand.

Maverick4
Maverick4
6,800 posts
Peasant

I use my left hand, because the instructor took off points if you used the wrong hand in typing a key. The joys of the public school system.

Santi_
Santi_
1,900 posts
Nomad

I use my left hand whenever I type "B"
Probably has to do with me being left-handed.

I use my left hand, because the instructor took off points if you used the wrong hand in typing a key. The joys of the public school system.

Never heard about that, but it sounds terrible.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

I always type it with my left hand.

"N", however, is a different story. Depending on what follows it, I've noticed that I type this key with both fingers (not at the same time).

dair5
dair5
3,371 posts
Shepherd

I type the b key with my left hand. That's because my keyboard is split down the middle, so the b key is on the left side and it only makes sense to hit it with my left.

awesomeplayer312
awesomeplayer312
187 posts
Nomad

I type the b with my left hand because its so much easier for me for some reason.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

I type it with both. For me, the difference is negligible.

ianhq
ianhq
150 posts
Nomad

lol right. I never really thought about it till now

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,504 posts
Jester

I noticed that "B" has a pretty equal distance from both the left and right index fingers

It does? I find it's closer to the left finger because B is on the left side.

Traditional ASDF starting position, the left finger has access to R, F, V, T, G, and B. The right finger gets J, U, M, Y, H, and N. Using the right finger to type the B button is encroaching on the left territory, stretching the finger and making the typing process slower by a smidgeon.

That's how the rigid rules of typing are supposed to be anyway. I'll just come out and say I used the right hand to type the B button under the phrase "Using the right finger to type the B button". I think it's because while getting ready to type the B button and using my thumb to press the spacebar, I was busy using my left hand to type "the". It would be slower to wait for the left hand to stop typing the previous word to continue the sentence, so my other hand picks up the slack. I don't think I've ever used my left hand to type the letters from Right-Hand territory, though, and I'm left-handed too.

So I mostly type the B button with my left hand, unless that hand is already typing, then the right hand does the work. Having the opposite hand type the middle letters while the other one is working is partly why I'm able to type 90 words a minute.
CommanderPaladin
CommanderPaladin
1,531 posts
Nomad

Either/or. I don't type "correctly," I use what I call "Advanced Hunt and Peck," which is basically hunt and peck with some &quotroper" finger position incorporated. So, I tend to use whichever hand is closer at the moment. Also, what word I'm typing has an impact on that, i.e. "what letters are next in this sequence/which hand is closer to all of those letters right now?"

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

I use my right because I just roll that way. and because i use my right thumb for the space so my short stubby fingers follow it's direction.

iMogwai
iMogwai
2,027 posts
Peasant

I use my left hand. I tried to use my right hand just now to test it and, and even though it's about just as easy, something about it just feels... Wrong.

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

It feels more natural to use my left hand for the b key. I also accidentally hit n while tapping b with my right hand.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,340 posts
Farmer

lol only me and nicho use our right hand. tried it with several words and i alsways use my right hand

KrissKhan
KrissKhan
271 posts
Farmer

With my nose ^o)

I think it depends a lot of the word I am writting, but maybe a little bit more with my right hand

Showing 1-15 of 42