ForumsWEPR[necro] Is homosexuality right or wrong?

1146 385317
toemas
toemas
339 posts
Farmer

I think homosexuality is totally wrong and unnatural, what do you think?

• 1,146 Replies
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

Good news, everyone!

The legislature voted overwhelmingly in favour of the proposed legislation which makes it very likely that, sometime soon, we'll be seeing same sex marriages in England and Wales.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

"it was Adam and Steve not Adam and Eve" (they actually busted out that stupid quote AND got it wrong).

Hehe, idiots. Anyway, good news indeed. Wonder how it will come out in France, where they're debating the issue too currently.
handlerfan
handlerfan
185 posts
Nomad

Homosexuality is what is.
As a humanist Christian I am more interested in a gay person being SAVED by Jesus than the person being attracted to the same sex.

HahiHa
HahiHa
8,259 posts
Regent

As a humanist Christian I am more interested in a gay person being SAVED by Jesus than the person being attracted to the same sex.

This could be interpreted both ways.. but I guess you mean you don't care about their sexual orientation and would try to convert such people the same way you would try to convert heterosexual people?
Avorne
Avorne
3,087 posts
Nomad

On the topic of Jesus and homosexuals, one of the MPs debating same sex marriage earlier had this to say, and I think it rather sums up the best attitude any Christian can have towards homosexuals:

"The Jesus I know was born a refugee, illegitimate, with a death warrant on his name, in a barn. He'd stand up for minorities"

HUA7XFan122396
HUA7XFan122396
80 posts
Jester

I don't know if anyone said this yet, but you can't have an opinion on wether being homosexual is right or wrong. Homosexuality is right on all levels, and you are completely wrong if you say homosexuality is wrong. It is a fact that if you are homosexual, you were indeed born homosexual, it is not a choice. If you think that you can have an opinion on homosexuality being right or wrong, then you might as well say that Hitler was right to kill 6 million Jews. Hitler was ignorant though, just as all you people who think that homosexuality is wrong, or think that you can have an opinion about it; Hitler originally thought that being Jewish was a religion and that he could change them. Then, he learned that Jews are a race of people, so he killed as many of them as he could and he thought that what he was doing was right. So if you really think that being homosexual is wrong, then you might as well kill 6 million homosexual people.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

So if you really think that being homosexual is wrong, then you might as well kill 6 million homosexual people.

Too extreme to substitute.

Hitler was ignorant though

He had reasoning.

or think that you can have an opinion about it

You can have a valid opinion regarding anything as long as you have basis.
abt79
abt79
59 posts
Blacksmith

Homosexuality is not wrong (i will not use the word sin as someone recommended not using religion in this debate) because it is NOT a choice by the individual. Anyone can choose to have intercourse with someone of the same sex, but homosexuals do not make a conscious decision to be attracted to people of the same sex. I did not just at one point in puberty decide "hey i think I will be attracted people of the opposite sex instead of being gay." It just happened. That being said, it is not natural. In the natural order of things, no one should be homosexual, sorry if anyone finds that offensive. If everyone was a homosexual and refused to have sex with those of the opposite gender, our race would die out within eighty years.

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

That being said, it is not natural

Given what the definition of natural -actually- is, it is completely natural.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

In the natural order of things, no one should be homosexual, sorry if anyone finds that offensive.

I'm glad you recognize that people cannot choose their sexual orientation. However, if I'm interpreting this right, do you deny homosexuals the freedom to love a partner of the same sex? Are you saying something along the lines of, "Homosexuality is not a choice, but they should still not do anything about it"? If so, then why do you think this?
EmperorPalpatine
EmperorPalpatine
9,442 posts
Jester

If everyone was a homosexual and refused to have sex with those of the opposite gender, our race would die out within eighty years.

No, if everyone was infertile, our race would die out within eighty years. Sex isn't needed for pregnancy anymore.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

If everyone was a homosexual and refused to have sex with those of the opposite gender, our race would die out within eighty years.

Our society is advanced enough that we can reproduce without sex, although if every single person was homosexual (I'm not sure what the point of this is, as not everybody is currently heterosexual) collectively as a society we would still choose to reproduce with the opposite sex.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

That being said, it is not natural. In the natural order of things, no one should be homosexual, sorry if anyone finds that offensive.

Natural; existing in or caused by nature; not made or caused by humankind.

We have observed homosexual behavior in at least 1,500 species. That would be existing in nature. We have pretty much determined the cause of homosexuality being the result of epigenetics (how genes are expressed). These epimarkers are either being passed down from the parent to offspring where they usually wouldn't or the epimarkers are being changes due to certain hormones in the womb, masculinizing or feminizing certain areas of the brain responsible for sexual attraction. This would also have it fall under the definition of natural as it's being caused by nature rather than a product of humankind's making. So yes it is natural.

Of course this is completely irrelevant to whether it's right or wrong. For that we would have to consider if it's doing harm or not. As such the question would be, is two people of the same sex wanting to have a sexual relationship with each other harmful? If so, in what way? Often detractors like to point out how the spread of HIV/AIDS is highest among gay men. This of course ignores that lesbians are among the lowest in contracting and spreading the disease. This also tends to ignore that non homosexual couples also contract and spread the disease and that it isn't limited to homosexuals.
Another argument is that it's spiritually harmful. I would think this rather irrelevant, as it's usually not the followers place to make such a judgement and not shared among all religions, even the various denominations within do not agree on this point.
SportShark
SportShark
2,980 posts
Scribe

Only if it causes harm to someone/something that doesn't want to
be harmed.

We have observed homosexual behavior in at least 1,500 species
Yeah, I used to have a gay rooster. He would always do it with another
rooster when no hens were available.
Fiends
Fiends
114 posts
Peasant

I think that homosexuals are wrong, but sadly there will always be homosexuals, shunning is the most effective way to deal with that.

Homosexuality should be banned from public view.

Showing 1051-1065 of 1146