ForumsThe Tavernstrang things happening on AG.....

56 6931
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

hi....so basicly i have been going to threads and noticed something strange, most of the some what recent post are gone. i also have noticed that my profile changed even though i havent changed it and now it will not change back. i have also seen the threads and they are like "random thread-last post 3 weeks ago". just wondering if this is happening to anyone else or if it is time for a new cpu...

• 56 Replies
kitty25
kitty25
107 posts
Nomad

yea the things are happening to me to. a lot of stuff is missing on my profile, and i remember one day i couldn't log in and then an hour later i could.

macfan1
macfan1
421 posts
Nomad

Guys. We all know that something is amiss. Messed up profiles, loss of AP, ads and adbots everywhere... ya. We all know that. The problems are being fixed. You don't really need to make another thread on it.

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Guys. We all know that something is amiss. Messed up profiles, loss of AP, ads and adbots everywhere... ya. We all know that. The problems are being fixed. You don't really need to make another thread on it.

Pretty much. The mods have enough crap to sift through right now. Just hang onto your shirt and ride the thing out. Remember, we all lost a lot of stuff. You're not the only one. Ya just gotta suck it up and continue on with life. If you can't log in for an hour, big deal. Nobody's (other than the mods and admins) life revolves around armorgames. If it does, then you need to get a life.
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

Pretty much. The mods have enough crap to sift through right now. Just hang onto your shirt and ride the thing out. Remember, we all lost a lot of stuff. You're not the only one. Ya just gotta suck it up and continue on with life. If you can't log in for an hour, big deal. Nobody's (other than the mods and admins) life revolves around armorgames. If it does, then you need to get a life.

my god, what part of
just wondering if this is happening to anyone else or if it is time for a new cpu...

did you not understand? i mean really come on, read man! i have been on this site for a year, no need to explain the rules to me, i ALREADY KNOW THEM! last time this happened, it was my cpu that was glitiching. how did i find this out? i posted a forum exatly the same as this to see if it was happening to anyone else. AND IT WORKED! jeez, i know its gonna get locked, i just needed to know. why here not support section?
1. i forgot...
2. support is not as public as the tavern, and i would get more responses here.

jake, you said
Ya just gotta suck it up and continue on with life.

but earlier you said
All that weird stuff has happened to me, too. I wish it would be fixed already.

yet you agree with
Messed up profiles, loss of AP, ads and adbots everywhere... ya. We all know that. The problems are being fixed.

?
-------
right. sorry but i hate, hate hate hate HATE it when people refer to me like i am incompetent. sorry if i exploded.
-----
on topic
i honestly didnt even bring up the spam bots, so i dont know how that fit in their. anyways...
its strange, because the spam bots attack all at once, but then stop and they dissapear, then they attack again. dont you think that the programer could have done more damage if he programed all the bots to send spam at different times?
strange ag glitch?
one time i saw a forum and it had the posts run backwards in time order. like, the newest post was where the op should be, and the op was were the most recent post should be. it was weird
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

because the spam bots attack all at once, but then stop and they dissapear

When a moderator sees the spam, they take action and ban the adbots (temporarily, until an admin defeats them permanently). It's very hard to make a thread when you're banned, so that's why you see a decline in ad threads after the others are thrown into the fire.

dont you think that the programer could have done more damage if he programed all the bots to send spam at different times?

The logic behind this adbot phenomenon is puzzling. You'd think that nobody would click on the threads that they post, let alone click on the links provided within the threads; but whatever they're doing, it must be working because they've noted their success here and diversified their advertisements to widen the demographic of users who they believe will click on their petty links.
emochick324
emochick324
3,042 posts
Nomad

my logics of people:

1.mulitple people
2.one person multiple accounts
3.multiple computers,emails,people
4.one person multiple computers

pickpocket
pickpocket
5,952 posts
Shepherd

The logic behind this adbot phenomenon is puzzling. You'd think that nobody would click on the threads that they post, let alone click on the links provided within the threads; but whatever they're doing, it must be working because they've noted their success here and diversified their advertisements to widen the demographic of users who they believe will click on their petty links.

i think what might have happened is that when the adbots where new to this site and no one new they were adbots, people went and said, "you cant post that" or "that breaks the rules" and such on the page. this was enough success from the adbots point of view so it proceeds to continue to make more accounts on this site and spam us.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

i think what might have happened is that when the adbots where new to this site and no one new they were adbots, people went and said, "you cant post that" or "that breaks the rules" and such on the pagethis was enough success from the adbots point of view so it proceeds to continue to make more accounts on this site and spam us.

It's possible, but somewhat unlikely if nobody has been posting in them for a matter of days yet new adbot accounts are being created and they continue to wreak havoc. If they measured success by how many responses they got for their advertisement, they would have figured out by now that they're failing miserably in that sense.

The thing is, adbots have been popping up in our forums fairly frequently for a matter of months now. It isn't like it's a new thing; the only unusual part of this whole situation is the amount of adbots that are being generated at one time. Prior to a few days ago, you'd see a handful of them every month. They were still annoying, but they were easy to deal with. Now they're sprouting up like mushrooms and they're becoming more than just a friendly nuisance.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

One more thing...

Who is to say that these so-called "adbots" are even bots? I'm not ruling out the possibility, but I can't seem to figure out how or why an adbot would post his email on his own profile.

mdmaniksarkar80@yahoo.com

Or for that matter, why a bot would even have an email address in the first place.

Deathless950
Deathless950
1,943 posts
Nomad

My profile won't let me use spaces

master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Or for that matter, why a bot would even have an email address in the first place.

They need emails to create accounts, and it's likely that those were the emails they used to create the accounts.

but I can't seem to figure out how or why an adbot would post his email on his own profile.

The bots probably weren't created for AG specifically, just modified to work with it. They were probably made to fill in every box they could when registering, so they filled in the yahoo with the information they had.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

They need emails to create accounts, and it's likely that those were the emails they used to create the accounts.

Somebody had to create the email.

The bots probably weren't created for AG specifically, just modified to work with it.

That is true. I searched "mdmani01" on Google and it gave me links to his/its profiles on various sites, most of from which he has been banned.

They were probably made to fill in every box they could when registering, so they filled in the yahoo with the information they had.

1) They put the email in the SteamID box. A bot would be able to at least put their email in the right box if they were programmed to do so, whereas a non-English speaking advertiser would be more likely to choose one at random.

2) They only filled in the SteamID box, which seems to obscure and futile for someone to program a bot to fill in. The programmer would have no reason to waste coding on one bot that fills in one box with the wrong information.

3) No other bots have filled in any information. Even if every other adbot is a bot created for the sole purpose of advertising, this one is just too different from the others to rule out the possibility of it being a human.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Somebody had to create the email.

The bots can create emails for themselves.

3) No other bots have filled in any information. Even if every other adbot is a bot created for the sole purpose of advertising, this one is just too different from the others to rule out the possibility of it being a human.

Well, they can't all be human. Most these threads are posted within a few seconds or minutes of each other, which would be difficult for a human to do.
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The bots can create emails for themselves.

Emails usually require a CAPTCHA in order to be validated. If a bot could easily get around a CAPTCHA, there would be no purpose in having it there in the first place.

Well, they can't all be human

They probably aren't all human. I'm just saying that we can't rule out the possibility that all of them are bots.

Most these threads are posted within a few seconds or minutes of each other, which would be difficult for a human to do.

These adbots/possible humans don't generate the messages they post specifically for AG. All they have to do is copy/paste it from their "headquarters" and then wait 30 more seconds to copy/paste a different message.

I'm not saying that they're all human, but it's entirely possible that a number of them are. Maybe not likely, but the possibility cannot be ruled out until there is evidence that they can't be human.
master565
master565
4,104 posts
Nomad

Emails usually require a CAPTCHA in order to be validated. If a bot could easily get around a CAPTCHA, there would be no purpose in having it there in the first place.

Bots CAN get around Captchas. There are programs to remove the annoying clutter in the background, split up the word, and identify the letters. The only difficult part of that for a computer is splitting up the word. Besides for that, you can have the bots relay the captchas to a human who will tell them what the captcha says. So there could be a human aiding a bot.

These adbots/possible humans don't generate the messages they post specifically for AG. All they have to do is copy/paste it from their "headquarters" and then wait 30 more seconds to copy/paste a different message.

I know, but it's still seems to be doing it too much like clockwork for a human to be behind it.
Showing 16-30 of 56