ForumsThe TavernIs lying OK?

49 6929
TomasTock
TomasTock
25 posts
Peasant

Is lying OK in some situations? If so when? why/ why not? How much lying does it take to make someone a liar?

• 49 Replies
TheGr8est
TheGr8est
703 posts
Nomad

Logically, why would a person want to lie?

A)Cuz the person is LAZY and wants to get out of doing stuff he would rather not,

B)The person is EMBARRASED of telling something to someone (cuz it might hurt their feelings, or Hes just plain shy (BF/GF cr*p)

C) Their a lot of more reasons yet the percantage of these types of lies is little.

Eitherway, Lying to get out of laziness is just wrong,
but I can see where lying from embarrasment comes from.

But if your still gonna lie from laziness eitherway, make sure you don't get caught in your lie cuz it can be very painful and you will probably lose all your respect fron the guy you lied to.

P.S. Not that Im not a liar, just I know the difference between right and wrong and I usually feel stupid after lying.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

no it most certainly not ok

Koru7
Koru7
1,405 posts
Nomad

Lying is okay when it's something superficial or not really important unless it's life or death.

And on your resume it's not okay. that's not good.

Schmiddy1234
Schmiddy1234
1,075 posts
Nomad

Life or death, ok.
Also, in my household lying is NOT ok.

1337Player
1337Player
1,766 posts
Peasant

I don't lie, I just carefully choose what to say.

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

lying is okay as long as you dont get caught up in it

Yeah. Lying is not a very good reflex.

I don't tell the truth, I just carefully choose what to say.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

I don't tell the truth, I just carefully choose what to say

Yes...but then you get into the argument of "is telling a half truth the same as a lie?"
knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

Yes...but then you get into the argument of "is telling a half truth the same as a lie?"

I tell that I am too busy to sustain an argument about whether a half truth is a lie, which is a lie. When questioned about the truthfulness of my statement, I lie. When asked if I'm being serious, I lie again and say yes.
Kasic
Kasic
5,552 posts
Jester

Here's offering another view, one purely practical.

What do you gain from lying? Well, you can avoid situations you don't like, you can sometimes acquire things which you might not have otherwise, you can make people happier by telling them what they want to hear, and you can get away with things.

Now, if you're found out, what happens? Most of the time people will frown upon you lying but there's no serious consequence. In the event of a crime, if you hadn't lied you would likely have been let off a little easier. Lying also makes people distrust you, but really who trusts every person anyways?

knight_34
knight_34
13,817 posts
Farmer

There are pros and cons to lying, which your viewpoint shows. If I was asked for a two word answer to the OP, I'd say "It depends."

But you know the thing that gets me about this thread? A few of the people here have ignored the complexity of lying. They might be easy to make, but the ethics of lying aren't so simple. It's not black or white, it's grey gray grey.

My favorite example:

no it most certainly not ok
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Sometimes you need to be silent and not say to your teacher, in the middle of class, out loud that her skirt is stuck in her underwear. It's better that she hear it from another teacher and preferably another female, just saying...

MrDayCee
MrDayCee
14,745 posts
King

Sometimes you need to be silent and not say to your teacher, in the middle of class, out loud that her skirt is stuck in her underwear. It's better that she hear it from another teacher and preferably another female, just saying...

You're telling this in a way making me think it's something you experienced yourself there wajor... so, have you?! *grin* =P
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

That's not lying.....
Sauron23
Sauron23
275 posts
Peasant

lieing is only good in certain situations. If you lie to get out of trouble, that's really bad

GhostOfMatrix
GhostOfMatrix
15,595 posts
Herald

If you lie to get out of trouble, that's really bad

It can benefit you in a good way.
Showing 31-45 of 49