ForumsGamesColony Summer Tournament 2012

273 33867
chessmaster102
chessmaster102
656 posts
Peasant

Hello and Welcome to the "Summer Tournament of 2012 Colony Tournament" forum page

I would like to start a summer tournament for this year. I plan on starting all of the organization now since in past experience I have learned that if I wait to much longer everything will fail.

Now then, the first order of business will be to decide whether to have a 2v2 or 1v1 tournament. My vote goes towards 2v2 this year even though more planning will be involved to making this work.

Secondly, we will need to decide if it's going to be set up in groups (ABCD, EFGH, IJKL), stages (AvsB+CvsD=AvsC), or just have everyone plays everybody(AvsB, AvsC, AvsD...).

Third, should we come up with some requirements such as beat a player or group of players in a game? Or beat computers? Or win in a weekly scheduled pre-tourney entry game?

After all of that is figured out/even before all that is decided we need people to sign up. If we can't get enough people to sign up there's no tournament anyway.

Leave comments down below if you have questions/concerns/anything else. My profile is also a place I will check if you need to contact me.

-(#&$$

• 273 Replies
Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

I believe 2v2 is definitely the right way to go. I'm glad to see a 2v2 tourny in the potential spotlight.

Although I'd like to see it be elimination rounds, the reality is there people make mistakes that are game changing sometimes, so I would say that a Best of 3 scenario would be good. (Team A vs Team B, Team A wins 2-0 and it's over, or if they go 1-1, then you play for the game breaker).

To a certain extent I think the initial matchups should be randomized. Say you have 8 teams competing.

Round 1: (BEST OF 3 WINS)

T1 vs T2. T2 Wins

T3 vs T4. T3 Wins

T5 vs T6. T5 Wins

T7 vs T8. T8 Wins
Round 2
T2 vs T3. T2 Wins

T5 vs T8. T8 Wins
Final Round (Best of 5 for the final IMO.)
T2 vs T8. T2 Wins.

Team 2 is forever remembered as the glorious combo that won the championship 2's tourny. Etc.

Players must decide who their teammate will be prior to a certain date, the same date they must commit to being in the tourny of course. A non-participating moderator should randomly determine who plays who in as random a way as possible. (Pick teams out of a hat for all I care.)

While there can obviously not be any observers for these games, it does mean that one of the players in the game must be recording the matches.

ANY GAMES that involve lagged out units or special circumstances (players nulling etc.) should be determined by moderator/3rd party. Normally these games should count as a redo, but in some cases in which the incident occurred right before the game ended, one team may be awarded the victory.

Any glitching/hacking caught will be an immediate disqualification, I believe that goes without saying.

I for one look forward to this, even if I do not participate.

chessmaster102
chessmaster102
656 posts
Peasant

So if we do have this tourney we should have pre-made 2v2 teams? And I dont think someone should have to record the games that they play because it could cause lag... but it would be fun to see what happened during the games.

And I was thinking Round of 16 (or max that we have) would be best 2/3. Then the Round of 8 would be 3/5. Semifinals would be 4/7 and Finals 5/9. If we only have 8 teams then it would be 2/3 then Semis would be 3/5 then finals 4/7.

I was also planning on maybe like a 5 day stretch given to each team to complete their games. So that if they have to leave suddenly or their internet fails they can always try the next day or something.

So far 5 people have said they liked the idea. So I guess we can get enough people to join.

SoymasterYos
SoymasterYos
971 posts
Nomad

What do we know about the 2v2 metagame, not much. Even rust legends can join and win. My vote is for making the community better.

trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

good luck with that

L0rdDrag0
L0rdDrag0
280 posts
Peasant

Definitely pre-made Teams. This will make things alot easier and will also make most people more happy.

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

So if we do have this tourney we should have pre-made 2v2 teams? And I dont think someone should have to record the games that they play because it could cause lag... but it would be fun to see what happened during the games.

And I was thinking Round of 16 (or max that we have) would be best 2/3. Then the Round of 8 would be 3/5. Semifinals would be 4/7 and Finals 5/9. If we only have 8 teams then it would be 2/3 then Semis would be 3/5 then finals 4/7.

I was also planning on maybe like a 5 day stretch given to each team to complete their games. So that if they have to leave suddenly or their internet fails they can always try the next day or something.

So far 5 people have said they liked the idea. So I guess we can get enough people to join.

I think you have it backwards...the more players there are to compete the fewer the games there should be to keep it under control. If only 8 people compete then hell have it out of 10 matches per team, but with a group of 32 for example, you'd only be able to handle it if it's out of a small number of games per match up. I think best of 3 is MORE than enough for the regular matchups, although I'd consider making the semifinals/finals more like out of 5 or out of 7 (world series style).

Pre made teams are a given...randomized teams would be genuinely awful. If one premade team creams the rest, it deserves to be in the #1 spotlight, so find that special partner and make some magic happen.

As far as recording goes...I understand what you mean with the lag situation. However, in cases in which one player d/c's or nulls out, or is blamed for hacking/glitching...there's really no way to tell unless it can be recorded. Otherwise players would just unplug their internet if they see them starting to lose and say "Rematch!" There has to be a 3rd party to give an unbiased opinion.
trying
trying
467 posts
Bard

Well we could have a rule that states that if someone leaves or nulls more than 3 times in a matchup they are disqualified.

Lifemaster
Lifemaster
186 posts
Shepherd

Well we could have a rule that states that if someone leaves or nulls more than 3 times in a matchup they are disqualified.

4 DC's?? Isn't that a bit much? I'd think 3 would be more than lenient enough. 2 DC's are all that are allowed...and even then, if the player who dc'd was about to win or lose and the DC would not have affected the outcome, I'm not sure it should be a rematch. Otherwise, 2 rematches allowed for early/midgame d/cs etc.
L0rdDrag0
L0rdDrag0
280 posts
Peasant

I agree with Lifemaster 4 DC's is way too much, i mean, they just got three try's. So yeah probably best to limit it to 2 DC's and if a person has bad internet they probably couldnt win anyway.

Clausse
Clausse
66 posts
Shepherd

i thinks its a great idea but i think there should also be 2v2 cause theres also a certain skill called teamwork oh and why in summer? people will be on holiday like me so i wouldnt be able to join

Clausse
Clausse
66 posts
Shepherd

oh its a 2v2 tournament lol

Pillola
Pillola
14 posts
Peasant

YAY guys let's do this it's an awesome idea try to organize the tournament it 'll be pretty fun

Pillola
Pillola
14 posts
Peasant

YAY guys let's do this it's an awesome idea try to organize the tournament it 'll be pretty fun

Pillola
Pillola
14 posts
Peasant

Set a date (day and time GMT method) for playing...

greghore
greghore
1 posts
Nomad

colony is all over the world so which countries summer? lol. it might be winter tournament for me. sounds like a awesome idea tho

Showing 1-15 of 273