ForumsThe TavernHistory fans

34 4474
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

{i hope its not sound too nersy}

well, im a big history fan. almost every thing Exciting me in history.

what is your "favorite", and wher did you learn about it?

for me, i very vey love the republic age of rome, the politics and the life style, adn WW2 too. afcours that as a jew and as an Israelian {and i hope as a human being} im very interested at the Holocaust, even more as my grandfather is a survivor, and his brother escaped nazi europe thankes to castner.

about rome, ican say that mostly from the great book "first man in rome" by voleen McCullough. very Recommended.

and about WW2, from school, from the great tv serios called "apocalyps" in the national geographic {very Recommended as well}.

{please, just replay if you realy know about it, and not from a video game or just because "the pyranids are cool"}.

• 34 Replies
cjhall
cjhall
213 posts
Herald

Well I don't know anymore about the above than I learned in history class. I do find it interesting, and will hopefully learn more about it.

I'm very interested in the Vietnam War. I read a book that I think was called Things I Carried, and was a narrative on what an American soldier went through during the war. I find it sad that the soldiers were never welcomed home, because most Americans were against the war to begin with. I had an uncle that lost his legs in Vietnam.

I also read a book called A Million Shades of Gray, about a South Vietnamese boy and how he was affected by the war. He was also trying to protect his elephant too. It is very touching, and although I'm pretty sure it is historical fiction or just fiction, it really reveals how people are affected by war.

zakyman
zakyman
1,627 posts
Peasant

I am a total history nerd! I will literally read anything about any history ever! For example, I was reading about Israeli start-up companies the other day. If it happened in the past, I'll read about it!

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

so as i sadi, read "the first man in rome". its such a awsome book!

and cjhall, every book, even if fictionary, about a point in the time line, have some truth in it.

so zakyman, what is your favorite subject in history? every history lover have utlist 1 they love more.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

No favorite subject, I just constantly refit my library with what I want and whatever piques my interest. Which explains the 200 odd books soothing about my shelves. I don't believe in having just one favourite topic to wax lyrically about; I could be reading about the Great Game one day, and the next, perusing a book on Meiji politics. History is diverse.

Oh, and if you like Roman history, progress away from quasi-history books.
It's nothing personal, but historical novels are still overly dramatic at times, and lack academic rigor much of the time. Try some Gibbon for more serious work if you would like to pursue history more.

KhaoticSniper
KhaoticSniper
210 posts
Nomad

AS shiza at leedarhozen

danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

i know nichodemus, but as i was younger, it was the trigger. after reading it, i had a largre base, as i understood the senate shape, in what gods they belived and in what way and etc. after it, reading academic texts is easier.

but yet, everyone have the topic they have more knowledge about, and the one which they will prefer. if you will go for a TV quiz show, what topic you will say "yess!!!"?

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

All, my historical knowledge is quite vast actually. I used to want to be a history major at any rate.

psychoraven
psychoraven
311 posts
Peasant

i like history probably cause my teacher right now teaches it very well and makes it interactive

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,150 posts
Peasant

I love studying the viking/ ancient Norse culture. Especially the myth.

amorboy
amorboy
1,255 posts
Shepherd

well i kill my self to know more about the past and history !!! i love it !! i have about 100 books about history !!! some about ancient empires some about world wars some Vietnam and ... of cource i have books about religion history and space races (america and soviet reunion (russia) ) cold war and ... other and by other i mean lots of other categories ... i mostly like irans past mostly empires (achamedians . sasanids . parthians ...)they were amazing their culture the way they lived their army strategies and ... and than i love rome and greec empires ... (rome : the gladiators were amazing !!!! they had great fight styles and they were coureg ... their revolts against the emperory and ... amazing !!!! and greeks they were great !! but they and alexander the great defeated achamidian empire so i hate them for that a bit ... and the forth thing i love is WW2 it is very good very amazing thing its very good !!! the tale of the soldiers what they belived in what they did for their brothers in arm !! and i like the nazies (dont get this wrong some some !!! of their works were amazing !!!))(i hate them for killing judish ppl !!!! cause they are not aryan what the heck this sappose to mean ??!!

derp3101
derp3101
171 posts
Peasant

Next week we're going to learn about world war one!I love history!

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I started with Ancient History: Mesopotamia, Egypt, Phoenicia, Ancient Greeks, Romans, etc.
Then I got interested in Medieval trading which has been my favorite subject for many years now.
The more you read and learn about History, the more you realize how all these periods are connected even though you might not like certain periods such as Canadian and American history (talking about myself here).
When i got interested in Medieval trading I learned about the Spice, Silk and different Caravan roads connecting different cultures and countries, the battles, the conquests, the technologies developed as a result, etc.
There are so many topics and subjects related to History that it makes it fascinating, at least to me.

I spent many hours at my public library and quite a bit of money on books. Now we have the Internet, e-books, sites like Wikipedia where
the knowledge is easily acquired.

I'm definitely an History fan! xD

hokzwijn
hokzwijn
511 posts
Peasant

I love history. I liked ancient culture at first. Later I became more interested in the late Middle Ages. A bit later I liked the early Middle Ages better.

Right now I'm interested in the early 1900s. It seems as thopugh I baceome interestede in later ages while I am aging. I don't care as long as I am having fun.

tric
tric
28 posts
Shepherd

I love history! So many interesting people, places, and stories!

slipsoccer
slipsoccer
1,081 posts
Peasant

History is my favorite subject. I liked learning about all the revolutions that lead to the formation of modern countries. My favorite revolution was probably the French Revolution, it must have been madness to live in France in that age.

Showing 1-15 of 34