ForumsThe TavernHistory fans

34 4472
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

{i hope its not sound too nersy}

well, im a big history fan. almost every thing Exciting me in history.

what is your "favorite", and wher did you learn about it?

for me, i very vey love the republic age of rome, the politics and the life style, adn WW2 too. afcours that as a jew and as an Israelian {and i hope as a human being} im very interested at the Holocaust, even more as my grandfather is a survivor, and his brother escaped nazi europe thankes to castner.

about rome, ican say that mostly from the great book "first man in rome" by voleen McCullough. very Recommended.

and about WW2, from school, from the great tv serios called "apocalyps" in the national geographic {very Recommended as well}.

{please, just replay if you realy know about it, and not from a video game or just because "the pyranids are cool"}.

• 34 Replies
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

I really enjoy history... World War II is probably my preferred part of history, although I also enjoy the Napoleonic Wars, Medieval history, exploration of America, and of course, American history.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

My favorite revolution was probably the French Revolution, it must have been madness to live in France in that age.

Here's an account by the Duke of SSTGia:
FRENCH REVOLUTION
xD
Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

The only parts of history I enjoy learning about are the mysteries. The straight-up facts bore me, but the ambiguities open up a greater discussion to a variety of possibilities.

victor520
victor520
39 posts
Peasant

I enjoy most parts of history, they are very intriguing and interesting. Especially rise and fall of huge empires and important battles. But lots of other parts of history I find very interesting and can read about for hours.

Pieguyme
Pieguyme
1,010 posts
Farmer

I think history is the best topic there is. Did you know, there is 1 real survivor of the Little Bighorn? his name is frank finkle, although he enlisted under the name August finkle or frank hall.
you all should really check it out.

thewolf52
thewolf52
28 posts
Nomad

From Thermopylae to Qadisiyyah to Zaat al sawari to conquer of India to 1857 indian rebellion to Anglo-Afghan wars to Stalingrad to Battle of Berlin to 1965 indo-pak war to Soviet-Afghan war to US invasion of Afghanistan, I like the under dogs of history.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

WWll? i like the revolutionary war better because it was the base for our country. there would be no america without it! WWll was a fluke because hitler hated jews.

--judgment

An_idiot
An_idiot
6 posts
Nomad

I like the Roman Empire, the Greek city-states, Imperial China, the Egyptians, the Byzantine Empire, the Islamic Empire, the Mongol Empire, the Civil War, the First and Second world wars, the USSR(Soviet Union), and mythological stories.

my grandfather is a survivor

That's fascinating.
My history teacher brought a Jewish man to talk about when the Nazis attacked Russia(I don't remember where exactly) and when he and his family escaped( I think on a train. Sorry I was sick and dizzy that day).His brother or cousin died.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

My absolute favorite period of history is the Three Kingdoms Period of Ancient China (This era was between the Han Dynasty era and the Jin Dynasty Era)

I am absolutely in love with this time period (I mean come on...my online persona is named after a strategist from this period!) and in love with the book written about it (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a historical fiction, mostly historical though, which used notes from Chen Shou). With how obsessed I am with both the book and actual time period I could probably get a doctorate over 'em =p

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

My favourite age is the Age of Sail, with the High Middle Ages and the Renaissance coming in second and third. I love the Age of Sail because of the amazing ships and cool clothing. The Middle Ages is second because of the weapons, castles, and styles of fighting. The Renaissance is third because I loved the political intrigue and the exploration.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

My favourite age is the Age of Sail, with the High Middle Ages and the Renaissance coming in second and third. I love the Age of Sail because of the amazing ships and cool clothing. The Middle Ages is second because of the weapons, castles, and styles of fighting. The Renaissance is third because I loved the political intrigue and the exploration.

If you like this period you will like this game:
http://www.unchartedwatersnewhorizons.com/

I've been playing with it since the SNES and I never stopped.
You might also want to read those books:
1- The Knights of the Order (the story of the Knights of St-John from Jerusalem to Rhodes to Malta) by Ernle Bradford.
2- Venice, a Maritime Republic by Frederic C. lane
3- The Sultan's Admiral; the life of Barbarossa by Ernle Bradford
4- The great betrayal; The Story of the 4th Crusade also by Ernle Bradford.
5- The Barbary Coast: Algeria under the Turks. by John B.Wolf.

I borrowed them all from my local library then I bought the first 4.
I must have read about 40 books on the subject, including, the Silk and Spice Roads, shipbuilding, gunnery, Venice history, Genoa, the Ottoman Empire, Zheng He who sailed around the World before the known explorers, Marco Polo, etc. I even bought a book on Spices because It's fascinating to me.
redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

My absolute favorite period of history is the Three Kingdoms Period of Ancient China (This era was between the Han Dynasty era and the Jin Dynasty Era)

I am absolutely in love with this time period (I mean come on...my online persona is named after a strategist from this period!) and in love with the book written about it (Romance of the Three Kingdoms, a historical fiction, mostly historical though, which used notes from Chen Shou). With how obsessed I am with both the book and actual time period I could probably get a doctorate over 'em =p

I love this time too. I know almost everything about it. Haven't read the book but I know most of the emperors and the generals from this period. Also all of the battles and stuff. After all, I am chinses myself so I should know about China's history.

Otherwise, history is one of my best subjects. I like learning about ancient civilizations, and out of all, I like China (obviously) and Rome the best.
SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I love this time too. I know almost everything about it. Haven't read the book but I know most of the emperors and the generals from this period. Also all of the battles and stuff. After all, I am chinses myself so I should know about China's history.

You have to read the book. If you're Asian you can read the original but if you're not try this version: Three Kingdoms (The unabridged translation) by Moss Robert in 4 volumes.
And if you're a real maniac like me you want to play the following games (On an emulator) Destiny of an Emperor on NES, RTK I,II,III,IV on SNES, Dynasty Warriors on GBA, and the PC versions of RTK. They're all about that time with all the characters.
redslaughterer
redslaughterer
256 posts
Nomad

Okay, I'll read it. I am also asian, so I can read the original version. And I am a ROTK fan. I've played 8,9,10,11 and 12. They are some of my favorite games. I've also played the Dynasty Warriors Series on PS2 and PS3. Did'nt know they had it on GameBoy Advance though.

Masterforger
Masterforger
1,824 posts
Peasant

must have read about 40 books on the subject, including, the Silk and Spice Roads, shipbuilding, gunnery, Venice history, Genoa, the Ottoman Empire, Zheng He who sailed around the World before the known explorers, Marco Polo, etc. I even bought a book on Spices because It's fascinating to me.

Neat, any good books you can recommend on shipbuilding? It's always fascinated me.
Showing 16-30 of 34