ForumsThe TavernClear? Is it a color?

56 10920
1zth
1zth
192 posts
Nomad

Is clear a color? If it is its my favorite color!!

• 56 Replies
R2D21999
R2D21999
18,319 posts
Treasurer

acctually yea its a color its on the edges of a rainbow

EnterOrion
EnterOrion
4,220 posts
Nomad

Give matter enough space and shine a light through it, it's going to have a color.

There is no such thing as clear unless in a vacuum, and vacuums don't have color.

TheMostManlyMan
TheMostManlyMan
5,823 posts
Chamberlain

you can't see it and everything that is right tells me that it is not a color

~manly man

Ernie15
Ernie15
13,344 posts
Bard

Can you see the air?

Here's a brief explanation as to why glass is transparent. It may be the answer to your query.

Drink
Drink
1,621 posts
Blacksmith

ahh Ernie beat me to it..just cause you cant see it doesnt mean its not a color :P and im going to say it anyways even if earnie beat me to it..is air not something you breathe just cause you cant see it..? hope you get my poiny

1zth
1zth
192 posts
Nomad

Does it matter?

Yes it does!!!
BoredMartian
BoredMartian
676 posts
Nomad

No it's not because it always changes. You might as well just say what you're looking at right now is your favorite color.

1zth
1zth
192 posts
Nomad

No it's not because it always changes. You might as well just say what you're looking at right now is your favorite color.

Exactaly i love every color!!
Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Clear is not a color itself. It becomes the color of whatever is next in line behind it from your perspective. Clear lets you see colors through it, not a color on itself. Anyone who thinks clear is a color has to be a complete idiot.

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

I did some research, and found another def. of clear:

[quote]pure in hue: pure in color or hue
a clear red[quote]

That is a dictionary definition of clear, there are many others. So, clear can be a color when you are using it to describe a color, such as the above "a clear red".

Cenere
Cenere
13,657 posts
Jester

That is a dictionary definition of clear, there are many others. So, clear can be a color when you are using it to describe a color, such as the above "a clear red".

Except he seems to be asking about transparent/the opposite of opaque. At least that will explain his water example.

In which case, as everyone else has said: No, clear/transparent is not a colour. It does not reflect light, it does not suck in light either. Instead it lets light pass through, so there is no colour to perceive.
Thus, if your favourite colour is clear, you have no favourite colour. If you say clear is your favourite because you assume it is all colours, you might as well change it to either black or white, which either is an absorption of all colour, or a reflection of all colour. Even if some say black and white is merely shades, it's still more correct than saying transparent is a colour.

And all those flags in this little thread...
ellock
ellock
385 posts
Blacksmith

Clear is not a color, just something people say is a color like black. Clear has no color and i can prove it. Take a clear glass stick it in front of some blue paper and it looks blue but, put it in front of some red paper and it looks red. Now, we both know it is not blue or red. It is just arranged to where you could see through it.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

A color being "clear," or transperant, isn't a color itself. It's merely a quality of the color it's influencing.

Jake297
Jake297
306 posts
Shepherd

Except he seems to be asking about transparent/the opposite of opaque. At least that will explain his water example.

My last post came out wrong. In "A clear red", clear is an Adjective describing red, saying the color red is pure, undefiled by other hues. In conclusion, clear can be an adjective, an adverb, an verb, but cannot be used as a color in the form of a noun. Clear still can be a noun, such as "The deer stood in the clear", referring to where the deer are standing, in the clear. Clear, as a noun, can be a place, but never a color.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,990 posts
Grand Duke

What color is Water??!!?CLEAR!!!

Clear, transparent, or colourless is not a colour. While water appears colourless to the human eye in small amounts, such as in a glass, pure water has a slight blue tint that becomes a deeper blue as the thickness of the observed sample increases. Much like your oceans and lakes.
Showing 1-15 of 56