ForumsWEPRChic-fil-A Controversy

97 26867
ryan7g
ryan7g
478 posts
Shepherd

I'm sure most of you have heard of the Chic-fil-A controversy that has happened over the past month or so about the COO of the restaurant not supporting gay marriage.

If you haven't, here's the story. Dan Cathy, of Chick-fil-a said:

âWe are very much supportive of the family â" the biblical definition of the family unit. We are a family-owned business, a family-led business, and we are married to our first wives. We give God thanks for that."

They also came to light of donations to anti-gay political organizations, including the Family Research Council.

This sparked huge controversy nationwide, many protests, and gay rights supporters also staged a same-sex "kiss day" at stores nationwide on August 4, among other things.

Now I must ask, what are your thoughts on this whole situation?

• 97 Replies
Jefferysinspiration
Jefferysinspiration
3,168 posts
Farmer

Do these "hate groups" he funds murder people? Smuggle drugs on the side? Engage in human smuggling? Sad how people are at each others throat for differing viewpoints.

Nope, but anti-gay groups breed homophobia [obviously]. Homophobia plays a massive role in the increasing suicide rate in the world.
Are they murdering people? Not directly.

And about the rainbow oreo, even if I wholeheartedly supported gays, i would not buy it. (who would want 2 inches of frosting on their oreo?)

Me. Because i'm a pie, nomnomnomnom.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Syrian government is killing hundreds a day. Okay, that sucks.
Gunmen kills people in a theater premiere. Wow, that sucks too.
Middle East has instability issues that won't go away. Cool.
Chic-fil-A CEO voices an opinion based on his religion. HOLY ****! HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED?!? BOYYYCOOOOTTTTTT!!!

Two different issues in different contexts.
MageGrayWolf
MageGrayWolf
9,470 posts
Farmer

Syrian government is killing hundreds a day. Okay, that sucks.
Gunmen kills people in a theater premiere. Wow, that sucks too.
Middle East has instability issues that won't go away. Cool.

The gunman isn't something the people have control over. These other two point are things worth putting effort in to rectify and there are people who are making efforts in that direction, though I doubt the average person would have much to contribute.

Chic-fil-A CEO voices an opinion based on his religion. HOLY ****! HOW CAN THIS BE ALLOWED?!? BOYYYCOOOOTTTTTT!!!

It's getting quite tiresome to have to keep saying this. IT'S NOT FROM HIM VOICING AN OPINION IT'S BECAUSE HE WAS ACTIVELY DONATING TO THESE GROUPS.

Not sure how much clearer I can put it.

Ahem, anyway, the media coverage on this was overkill. Sure, he gives money to what some of you call hate groups, which is inexcusable to some of you. Should we hunt down and go after all of their donators?

No one is hunting the Chick-Fil-A CEO down. Family Research Council was designated as a hate group by the Southern Poverty law Center, a nonprofit civil rights organization. The criteria used to list them as such,
"Generally, the SPLCâs listings of these groups is based on their propagation of known falsehoods â" claims about LGBT people that have been thoroughly discredited by scientific authorities â" and repeated, groundless name-calling. Viewing homosexuality as unbiblical does not qualify organizations for listing as hate groups."
You can read the article for yourself.
http://splcenter.org/get-informed/intelligence-report/browse-all-issues/2010/winter/the-hard-liners

Do these "hate groups" he funds murder people? Smuggle drugs on the side? Engage in human smuggling? Sad how people are at each others throat for differing viewpoints.

Those funds are in part going to creating environments where such things do take place and they are actively trying to demoralize and suppress homosexuals.

(who would want 2 inches of frosting on their oreo?)

I would...

Me. Because i'm a pie, nomnomnomnom.

Split it with you :P
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

And about the rainbow oreo, even if I wholeheartedly supported gays, i would not buy it. (who would want 2 inches of frosting on their oreo?)

i wouldnt and im sure many gays wouldnt either but thats not the point. people didnt go crazy and hateful about it because of the frosting.
Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

mage, there are several classes of people in the gay rights debate
gays
those who support gays
those who disapprove
and your hate groups

http://www.gopusa.com/freshink/files/2012/06/rainbow_oreo.jpg
That is one big cookie, if I was in charge of oreo I would of made it only single layer with the rainbow going from left to right.

nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

Screw the calories and sanctimonious disapproval. That thing belongs in only one place. My stomach.

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

That is one big cookie, if I was in charge of oreo I would of made it only single layer with the rainbow going from left to right.

i think id do the same. but then again you wouldnt be able to see the rainbow if you eat it normaly. id keep it white and like those oreo cookies that have chocolate around them (the one where you get less in a package) id make that ranbow coloured
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

where can i buy that oreo?

and wtf, how did oreo get into a gay's debate? =S

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i think i mentioned it. you see the oreo published somewhere (facebook i think) that they support gay rights. and in response so many people said they feel sick they consumed a product that is made of a company that supports a sin. so many stupid comments. espacially those who said they wont buy oreo cookies ever again. i also remember how a really funny person then posted there a list containing dozens of products that belong to companies that have anything to do with homosexuality (that pretty much everybody uses) and claimed that they also shouldnt buy those. i think that ended that argument and they didnt respond.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

in response so many people said they feel sick they consumed a product that is made of a company that supports a sin.

i always feel sick when i see those kind of responses.
close minded bigots is all they are.

thx for info.
plz. go on whit the debate. =)
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

there are several classes of people in the gay rights debate
gays
those who support gays
those who disapprove
and your hate groups

we only have to convince the disapproved group that it is nothing to be scared about. and that their (religious) reasons are not a reason to suppress someones freedom.
then most people will be oke whit it.
the hate groups will still be there for a long time after. but will get smaller over time.
drose31
drose31
36 posts
Nomad

no hating but im versy christian so... i dont gop for either and heres my reason i thought food was just something i ate and then worked off not this whole thing where i think if i eat oreos i support gay people or if i eat chick fil a i support antigay so yeah

Jacen96
Jacen96
3,087 posts
Bard

You know, eventually every company is going to pick a side, and i wouldn't be surprised if some people died because they boycott anyone who approves/disapproves of gay marriage.

partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

no hating but im versy christian so...

do you believe that you being a christian is a valid reason to suppress your neighbors freedom?

(bah maybe i'm asking the wrong guy. but i got time today not tomorrow xD )
partydevil
partydevil
5,133 posts
Jester

eventually every company is going to pick a side

and why would they?
what profit can be made from losing a group of people that bought your product untill you made a statement?

what if microsoft and apple were for it. all christians will stop using a computer. (oooh, not so bad idea even. ^^)
Showing 76-90 of 97