ForumsGamesPlaying as a girl.

69 16168
Prizrak232
Prizrak232
1 posts
Nomad

Alright I'm a close to normal guy, but I've put almost 21,000 hours into the Fallout series and I would say about 3/4 of those 21,000 hours I played as a female, and now I find myself playing as a female in almost any game you can. My friends think I'm weird or quote "gay" for doing so. So I guess what am asking is what do you guys and gals think of it?

• 69 Replies
vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

We don't normally see females play. Or I don't. But I honestly have no problem about them playing video games.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I don't think it really matters. In lots of games there's gender locked classes or specific characters that have different abilities. Sometimes there's different equipment or items available to only one gender, or they have different animations for things.

Most commonly though if it's a simple avatar, most people are going to pick their own gender. I still don't care who picks what but I suppose some people find it odd.

VonHeisenbourg
VonHeisenbourg
377 posts
Peasant

We don't normally see females play. Or I don't. But I honestly have no problem about them playing video games.

I think you misconstrued the question, I do think that Prizrak was asking "what do you the AG gamers think of a guy in real life playing as a female character in a video game?"

I myself do not care at all how you choose to play, female or male? Why would I care at all?
BRAAINZz
BRAAINZz
787 posts
Nomad

Alright I'm a close to normal guy, but I've put almost 21,000 hours into the Fallout series and I would say about 3/4 of those 21,000 hours I played as a female, and now I find myself playing as a female in almost any game you can. My friends think I'm weird or quote "gay" for doing so. So I guess what am asking is what do you guys and gals think of it?

It's completely fine, there are a lot of games where the female characters have different benefits and stats than a male. It's all part of the game.
pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,815 posts
Jester

I used to do this all the time when playing the sims...you know...to do lesbian stuff

thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

i almost always choose the male character because im a boy and i like video games to feel more realistic.

but if there is no choice (gender locked classes for example) ill choose the female. it doesnt really matter. besides, most games have male characters as the main characters so girls have to play as guys all the time.

if your like me and like magic users in rpgs youd have to play as a female in many games... kind of sexist but meh

Balloon__Girl
Balloon__Girl
213 posts
Shepherd

if your like me and like magic users in rpgs youd have to play as a female in many games... kind of sexist but meh

Lol, that may be a bit sexist, but in a large majority of games females are forced to play as males even though a women would be perfectly capable (albeit it may be less common) of doing whatever that male character is doing.

Anyways, if I have the option of playing as a female I usually will because I am a female. However, if it is a game that involves me inter-acting with actual people I occasionally do play as a male because sometimes I find I am treated quite differently as a female in ways I do not necessarily enjoy. I just want to play the game. I think you should just play in the way it is the most fun for you. If you wish to play as a female, so be it, if not, that is also just fine.
Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

I see no problem with guys playing as a girl in games. It's a game. Kinda does not matter which gender you choose.

Personally, on modern-day RPGs (like Fallout and such) I play as a female simple because I do not want to stare at the backside of a dude for 40+ hours. It also helps that ladies are always the better looker of the sexes. XD

zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

I do that in Saints Row...everyone knows why.

xNightwish
xNightwish
1,609 posts
Nomad

Most of the times I choose a male for the first time and if I do a second playtrough I do everything the opposite as my 1st playtrough so I pick a girl to who ends up being evil. So I have no problem with it.

Btw I are you sure you played it 21000 hour. Because the game was released in 2010. That means if it was released on 1 jan 2010 and we say the date today is 31 dec 2012 the game was released 1094 days ago. That would mean you have played the for 19 hours a day. So I hope it is a fault and you meant to say 2100 hours.

d_dude
d_dude
3,525 posts
Peasant

Btw I are you sure you played it 21000 hour. Because the game was released in 2010.

Fallout New Vegas was released in 2010. He said the Fallout series, as in including the first games in the series. Although I really doubt he has put over 2 years of playtime into the Fallout series.
zonic98
zonic98
547 posts
Nomad

Some guys have 40k hours in WOW. So don't think that 21k is impossible...

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

I think you misconstrued the question, I do think that Prizrak was asking "what do you the AG gamers think of a guy in real life playing as a female character in a video game?"

Yep I did now that I've reread it with a fresh mind.

I use a few female characters in Brawl, and in more in Tales of Symphonia and Vesperia.
erthkwake
erthkwake
37 posts
Nomad

Well it is an RPG: Role Playing Game.
You take a role of someone other than yourself. This character doesn't have to resemble you in any way. I don't think this is weird.
I've known many guys who picked the girl in Pokemon Gen 3 because her waistbag looked "cooler" than the backpack.

Vagueshade
Vagueshade
83 posts
Peasant

I think it's understandable, in my opinion.

In every game I play where there's some type of character creation or customization, I create my "Ideal" Character.

Your ideal character just happens to be female, sometimes :/

Showing 1-15 of 69