ForumsWEPRwhy are christians misjudged?

56 14326
Godspeed11
Godspeed11
53 posts
Nomad

I'm a good Christian and i have friends that arent believers. every time i say something they try to improve or start an argument of some sort. they think christians are loco and have no lives. but their wrong i wish i could tell them the truth but they never listen i wish some of the nonbeleivers on armor games would look to christ

• 56 Replies
hojoko
hojoko
508 posts
Peasant

I'm afraid you've made your own point on your post. Wishing some non-believers would convert is friggin' annoying. Just by saying "Please convert" won't do anything. It just lowers your image.

I don't believe Christians are loco, and you do have normal lives, but could you lay off our backs about not converting or being Atheists? That's how I feel. We don't want you telling us that we will go to hell if we don't believe in Christ.

Keep that in mind.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

Well, you must understand, that you can't change someone's beliefs just like that. Alot of people grow up into a certain religion, so they tend to follow it until they find a religion that fits them.

Now your friends are arguing because in their mind, it might sound like you are saying that "your religion is better." It may not seem that way to you, but if you get on the concept of religion with some people, it can reach a deep personal level.

Also, your friends are misjudging Christians because you can't call EVERY Christian is "loco and have no lives." On that, I would question their maturity level, but that is a bit off topic. So getting back to nonbelievers. I highly doubt that anyone can change someone's religion unless that particular individual is open to new ideas.

I'd agree with you in saying that I wish more AG members would look to Christ, but in reality, it just doesn't seem plausible.

Hehe, I thought it was rather odd that you described yourself as a "Good Christian." I'm not saying that your not, but it isn't something that you would say out loud. Well I guess on AG it would be type outloud XP

thelistman
thelistman
1,416 posts
Shepherd

Because people like Pat Robertson, Fred Phelps, G. Bush, and other fundamentalists claim to be saved by Christ, yet they hate gays, call for war, support torture, and have no morals.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I don't remember Bush ever saying that.

To add to what I said, to actually answer the question, I would say this. Christians are misjudged because there are alot of Christian that claim to be Christian, but in reality, don't act like one. Those, "bad," Christians would be those that hate gays, tell other religions that they are going to hell, etc.

A good Christian would accept and respect other religions because that is how God wanted it. So we are misjudged mainly because they have had contact with "those" kind of Christians. Those who don't know the atual meaning to being a Christian.

Eyes
Eyes
139 posts
Blacksmith

but could you lay off our backs about not converting or being Atheists?

We don't want you telling us that we will go to hell if we don't believe in Christ.

So we are misjudged mainly because they have had contact with "those" kind of Christians.

I think I speak for everybody when I say that we don't want someone else speaking for us

I don't mean to pick on anyone. In fact, I'm not saying your generalizations are wrong, I'm simply saying that if you are going to express strong views like that (heck, any views), maybe you should speak for yourself. Dr. Phil says something like "the only person you can change is yourself", well I think it applies here "the only person you can speak for is yourself."

I think that that is one way prejudices are continued, one person saying one thing as if they are the spokesman for the entire group. I don't know, that's just my thoughts.

Anywho...I think all prejudices are based mostly on negative personal experiences. Then that person isn't mature enough to separate that bad experience from everyone that is associated with that group/religon/whatever and the negative views fester.

I think that if people you are talking to are being unreasonable, like your friends seem to be, you need to step back, take it down a notch and realize that everyone has an opinion, they just don't always express it correctly. Of course, some people are so unreasonable that you might not be able to deal with them at all. If that happens go explore the wonder feeling of apathy or pity...or both (if it is possible to not care and feel sorry for them...er--I'm done).
Aaroniscool
Aaroniscool
254 posts
Nomad

Christians are trying to save you from hell! They know that if they don't at least try to convince you that He is real, you will go to hell.

I'm sry estel, but what Jesus hmself said was this.
"And he said to them, Go you into all the world, and preach the gospel to every creature." Mark 16: 15.

I think that that is the whole goal is as a Christian.

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I would agree with you Aaron, but I also believe that Jesus wanted his people to ACCEPT others.

Also, those people (by "those" people, I am referring to non-Christians) don't believe in God, so to them, hell is not a place. There is no heaven because they believe different.

eyetwitch
eyetwitch
737 posts
Shepherd

Aaroniscool, (interesting name...)
while you are called to bring the name of God to the masses, i think we should take Jesus' approach. Love.

I would love(hehe) to end with that statement...but i should expand. One major thing that i have learned in this last year is that we are not called (as christians) to go run out and yell to the whole world that, "CHRIST IS THE ONLY WAY, YOUR ALL GOING TO HELL WITHOUT HIM!!"
That is never going to work, i would suggest being authentic with your friends and family and just being a loving person. Not much more you can do than support your friends through the trials of this world...and hey, once they see your love/christs love i'd bet they get curious. That's when you try Mark 16:15 and that's also why i believe trying to convert someone via AG isn't going to happen anytime in this lifetime...

OK, well i had a good day today, figured i share some friendly advice...regardless of its sappy quality....

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well like most groups, people generalise about them. Its not something you can do much about if you have a negative image you should just focus on enhancing the positive image christians have of kindness and turning the other cheek.

Skipper8656568
Skipper8656568
324 posts
Peasant

It is not that I do not want to "believe" ;it is that I physically can not.
You know that show "A Haunting" where the people can not say stuff like that I am not able to.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

WHY do people believe in hell anyways?? How do you know it even exists? What proof is there?? Just wanna know...

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

I personally think that joining a religion for the purpose of saving yourself from "hell" is selfish. I would be more inclined to try a religion if they brought me points on love, acceptance, and finding the good in life.

Ninjacube
Ninjacube
584 posts
Nomad

Well, christians are a large group and when there are large groups people tend to generalize about what they are like. Typically, the generalizations are negative because if they though good of them then they would be a part of them. Like conservatives and liberals. Both have plenty of good people ion them, but they still believe that each other are evil and they themselves are good.

d0m1nated14
d0m1nated14
718 posts
Farmer

Now im not trying to convert any1 but Jehovah's Witnesses dont believe in a fiery hell. We want to save people who have done many bad things in their lives from being destroyed in Armaggedon(think i mispelled it)

We care for our neighbors and we want them to be saved. We do teach love because God is love. God cares for every1 no matter who they are. He wants them to live forever in a paradise earth that is soon to come. We are currently living in the "last days". It was foretold that there will come a time in which war is much more abundant, great famine, natural disasters, and many more things.

I am still learning about this religion because it gave me hope that some day the world will be better. We know that people h8 this world we currently live in and we wanna help them learn what "the good life" truly is so they are happy. You dont need to be a Jehovah's Witness to understand this and once again, im not asking you to convert over, I just want you to understand that learning more about God and his purposes can give you hope for better life like it did me.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,001 posts
Shepherd

Dominated, that is a good stance to be in. I think everyone hates to be pressured into something like religion. Is your religion gay friendly? We actually have a gay friendly Christian (nondenominational) in this small town I live in currently. It's kind of funny.

Showing 1-15 of 56