ForumsPopular MediaAnime and Manga

141 61530
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I didn't really search cause I'm too lazy to see if this type of thread exists but what the hell..

Anyways, I really love anime and manga. Right now I'm watching a few currently.. My favorite one at the moment is One Piece though. I always laid it off to the side cause it never really caught my attention, until recently. Now I know why it has been going on for so long now.

Basically I made this for people who love anime and manga to discuss and talk about everything anime.

So anyways my favorite anime of all time would probably include a few; Bleach, Death Note, FMA: Brotherhood, H.O.T.D., etc.

I would add some older ones too but meh. Btw this isn't just to talk about your favorite anime or whatever, you can discuss about them too.

• 141 Replies
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

So I saw the ''Your favorite anime'' thread, so just to make it clear this isn't just about that like I stated in the OP. You can also talk about manga too, and you can even talk about both anime and manga in general.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

So anyways my favorite anime of all time would probably include a few; Bleach, Death Note, FMA: Brotherhood, H.O.T.D., etc.

All of those except H.O.T.D. are really good. (HOTD isn't bad though)

My favorites for anime would be Code Geass, Angel Beats, and Mobile Suit Gundam Seed.

Manga I've never found many good ones...Zatch Bell, Zettai Karen Children and Cage of Eden are the only ones I've gotten into.

What about light novels?

To Aru Majutsu no Index and Sword Art Online are really good.

. I always laid it off to the side cause it never really caught my attention, until recently.

One Piece is kinda uninteresting until they get to the Grand Line. After that it's good.

Death Note I didn't like the ending...that's not how it should have finished at all.
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Sword Art Online are really good.

I completely agree, I love it.

One Piece is kinda uninteresting until they get to the Grand Line. After that it's good.

Well I'm not there yet, but I still like the rest, though some of the episodes are tedious I still watch it to the end.

Death Note I didn't like the ending...that's not how it should have finished at all.

Man do I agree with you here.. I hated the ending for it, but it was still overall a great anime.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

I completely agree, I love it.

The light novel is better than the anime, but meh.

Well I'm not there yet, but I still like the rest, though some of the episodes are tedious I still watch it to the end.

Hindsight bias I suppose. I was interested while watching that portion too, but in comparison to later the episodes before the Grand Line are pretty boring.

Man do I agree with you here.. I hated the ending for it, but it was still overall a great anime.

SPOILER ALERT
SPOILER ALERT

The way he got caught at the end, how it was completely not his fault, was just BS imo. He should have won against N but they pulled some impossible stuff of perfectly handcopying THOUSANDS of names and replicating the way the book looks EXACTLY in less than 12 hours. That's just stupid.

SPOILERS OVER
SPOILERS OVER
sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

Hindsight bias I suppose. I was interested while watching that portion too, but in comparison to later the episodes before the Grand Line are pretty boring.

Well that sounds like good news then, I can't wait to get to that xD.

And yeah I think it should of ended differently, it just seemed like they(The writers) tried to end it as quickly as possible.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

SAO got pretty popular, didn't it? I liked it for what it was, but it wasn't great. My biggest gripe was the pacing. The first few episodes were all over the place. Secondly, the minor characters were very, well minor and forgettable. That goes for the villains as well. And I'm talking about the anime, I have no idea about the manga.

Speaking of manga, I have almost no experience with it. The only manga I ever read were the Jumps back in the day.

I tried to watch One Piece when it was on cartoon network. I couldn't get into it. I think the opening and ending theme songs had something to do with that...

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

SAO got pretty popular, didn't it?

Yeah it did. Also, the anime isn't that great but the light novel is. You should read it. Getting into manga is difficult but once you do you can't get out, speaking from experience.

I tried to watch One Piece when it was on cartoon network. I couldn't get into it. I think the opening and ending theme songs had something to do with that...

You should really try it, it's a really great anime.
Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

My biggest gripe was the pacing.

Read the light novel. The anime jumps around a lot more I think (although they do make big time jumps still)

I liked it for what it was, but it wasn't great.

It's really good once you get a little further in.

I couldn't get into it. I think the opening and ending theme songs had something to do with that...

So just skip them.

One Piece is the best action/comedy anime. It has a lot of unique things to it and a good story, I'd suggest giving it a chance.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I don't think it comes on Crunchy Roll. Does it come on another anime service?

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

You could try animepalm. I sometimes watch from there, they have it dubbed and subbed. Dubbed goes to about 250+ episodes. The first 50 or so episodes the mirror link 1 doesn't work, so try number 2, 4 or 5.

dragonball05
dragonball05
1,717 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, I like what you guys are saying about Death Note. I hated how it ended. In fact, it should have ended earlier. N just wasn't as good of an enemy for Light anyway. He wasn't as cool.

Bleach, I have to say, is probably up there on my favorite animes, but with recent bs being thrown at us in the manga, it's starting to become less of a favorite. I suppose if I were to judge on only what became anime, it's better, but even then I still thought the Fullbringer arc was a little iffy. I actually started rewatching it since the first few arcs were the best.

Used to watch One Piece when I was a little younger, but I eventually just stopped. Not that I didn't like it enough or anything. I just got a little busy and couldn't spare the time, and then once I could spare the time, I didn't have the drive to go out of my way and watch it. I might get back to it eventually.

I also restarted watching Naruto, made it further into that than Bleach, and am about done with season one of shippuden. Again, like Bleach, I liked the earlier parts better, but with Naruto the later parts aren't quite as ridiculous (though the random jutsu that get thrown out at times can be about as ridiculous :P)

Full Metal Alchemist (both seasons) will forever be one (or I guess two) of my favorite anime series. When the first one came out, I thought the story, the action, and the conflict were all awesome. Though the first one didn't end like the manga since they went ahead of it, I liked the way the ended it, along with the movie that came out back then with it. Brotherhood following the manga more was also awesome, and the fight scenes in it were pretty awesome as well.

Of the three series, I would say I liked the original Dragonball the best, since it was more comedy based, and much less about "My power level has increased exponentially so I can defeat this person only to get owned by the next person!" creating characters in DBZ that should make planets explode by existing within a one hundred thousand mile radius of them. DBZ is still awesome, but Dragonball was better in my opinion. And GT was just pushing it :P

FLCL (Fooly Cooly) is one of my favorite mini-series, and was especially awesome when I was about the age of the main character. Not that I could relate to being hit in the head with a guitar everyday, but nonetheless I felt a connection to him. :P Only reason it's a mini-series is that it was originally supposed to be a movie but ended up being too long for the standards of anime movies.

Recently, I've been getting into some non-action anime, usually ending up being romantic comedy, but I did find one good one a while back that was more a drama, though with romance still. It was Hanbun no Tsuki ga Noboru Sora, originally a light novel, which translated to something like "sky with a half-moon." Too lazy to look it up and I somehow remembered the Japanese, so whatevs :P It was about these two patients in the hospital who had different reasons for being there, but were there for serious reasons keeping them there for a lengthy amount of time, allowing for their relationship to form and give the base of the show. Another short show, but it was a good one.

I also liked HOTD, though it took a while before I actually sat down and watched it. I'm a big zombies fan, which I guess I can thank my mom for, and the ridiculous amount of fan service gave me a great laugh :P The relationships in the series also weren't too bad for the short time they had to develop. I am wondering if the manga is going to continue frequently enough to allow a second season, but if not, oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

As for romantic comedies (with no zombies), Rosario+Vampire is the one that sticks out most in my mind as it was one of my favorites, plus it was another of the popular ones that I eventually watched. Again, a great deal of fan service, but I always think that's funny :P Harem animes always seem to appeal to me since I like to have a chance to guess who the protagonist is gonna end up with, plus there's usually a lot of comedy involved with all that's going on. I loved the daily monster beatdowns as well.

And to end this list (though I have plenty more), Mayo Chiki. I love this one because of the ridiculous premise. (I also have more with the same trait) The protagonist gets nosebleeds constantly whenever he comes in contact with female (due to his female family members constantly beating him up, thus causing the premature nosebleed proactively). The story revolves around him and a couple of other primary characters trying to fix this problem, though the girl who comes up with this idea is pretty sadistic and is pretty much doing it torture him :P

Sorry for my huge list, but I couldn't help myself haha

sourwhatup2
sourwhatup2
3,660 posts
Jester

I also liked HOTD, though it took a while before I actually sat down and watched it. I'm a big zombies fan, which I guess I can thank my mom for, and the ridiculous amount of fan service gave me a great laugh :P The relationships in the series also weren't too bad for the short time they had to develop. I am wondering if the manga is going to continue frequently enough to allow a second season, but if not, oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Man I hope they make a second, they ended the first one so abruptly it kind of pissed me off. Apparently there has been talk for years that they are still planning on making a second season just with new artists. I have yet to actually read any confirmation on that, but I do hope it's true.

I also love the romantic comedies once in a while, it helps getting away from all the fighting and everything and just having a good laugh while being able to relate to characters.
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

everybody keeps mentioning action animes

i watched mane: naruto (not shipuden) some bleach, inuyasha and others but my top fav are:

clannad
fruits basket
kaleido star
angel beats.

and yay, kasik likes angel beats too. i care mostly about how emotional an anime can get me (which is the reason i also like many action animes like hakus story in naruto or orihimes brother in bleach) and those 4 really touched me.

my fav out of the 4 is fruits basket because it was my first and im biased but also because it had a big affect on me and kind of changed me. but i know that probably the best out of these is clannad.

clannad is a really... normal(?) show. talks about school life and things that could happen in real life too but it has some magical moments. you could say this anime is boring and interesting in the same time XD

and its one of the few shows that only get better and the second season is so much better and has some moments that are amazing and sad.

mangas... hmmm... i read elfen lied (and watched... the manga was better) and i loved it. its pretty gory so it took some strength to read it XP and i just finished a pretty good manga called "battle royale". i heard its like the hunger games (only better and more gory) but ive never watched that so idk.its almost not emotional and is more action and suspensful.

oh and btw. clannad was originally a visual novel.

Kasic
Kasic
5,557 posts
Jester

everybody keeps mentioning action animes

I'll mention some that aren't then.

Oh wait, no I won't. Basically every anime that doesn't have action in it is just like watching cartoon characters go to school and act dumb. Or some horrible corny comedy that isn't even funny.

(hates slice of life genre in general)

clannad

That wasn't a bad one, but I wouldn't put it as a "top" anime.

and yay, kasik likes angel beats too.

It had a great story, simply put.

i watched mane: naruto (not shipuden)

Naruto Shippuden is where it gets good, aside from the absurd amount of filler episodes.
Bronze
Bronze
2,417 posts
Shepherd

I don't think I've watched any anime without action. I do like it when the characters and their development are the center focus, but never anything without action. Oh wait, I watched Oreimo, so nvm.

As far as Naruto goes. I liked it when I was young, then I hated it, and I started liking it again after watching Shippuden. Cut out all of the filler, and you've got a very solid story being told and some very memorable moments. Pain vs Jiraiya, anyone? The Ninja War arc is dragging a bit though, it's like trying to watch Goku vs Frieza. 5 minutes turns into 5 episodes.

Showing 1-15 of 141