ForumsThe TavernIs music more about your "Group" now?

35 8370
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

(Not sure if this is Popular Media or not. Move it if you need to.)

Note: All italics are thinking.

So, while listening to some music a friend (More of an acquaintance but still...) came over and asked what I was listening to. I was listening to some Pink Floyd song (Forgot the name :/). After telling him the name he had this weird look on his face that I just couldn't place. After a small awkward pause he said, "OH! That's the band my Dad likes. Why are you with us? The people that like music are over there dude. "

Wait, because I listen to this music it means that I can't talk to you. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that my music taste has such an affect on my personality.

So, what do you think? After this conversation I spent a week just looking at different groups of people and comparing their musical taste. To my surprise, nearly everyone in a certain group liked the same style of music.

So, do you think music is more about an image that is supposed to represent you more than it is about what you actually like listening to?

Oh, the stoners listen to classic rock, the "Popular" kids are into electronic and the emos are all about metal. Which one are you?

Wait, but I listen to all of those genres!

YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE!

Anyway, just needed to vent and thought it would be a nice topic. Why do people care so much about music taste?

• 35 Replies
daleks
daleks
3,770 posts
Chamberlain

So, what do you think?

I think therefore I am.
So, do you think music is more about an image that is supposed to represent you more than it is about what you actually like listening to?

No. I like country music but most of my friends don't like country at all. I don't go finding friends based on my music. Nor do I change my preferences to fit the people I am friends with.
Which one are you?

Ummm... what would country be? Backwood Southern people. I am not that way at all.
Why do people care so much about music taste?

I don't know. Even though I enjoy music more than I used to I don't get care what music you like.
After this conversation I spent a week just looking at different groups of people and comparing their musical taste. To my surprise, nearly everyone in a certain group liked the same style of music.

How did you figure out their tastes? Did you ask them or what?
Kasic
Kasic
5,556 posts
Jester

So, what do you think?

One word. Sheeple. I don't think any more needs to be said and the only reason I am saying more is so this goes beyond 7 words.
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

How did you figure out their tastes? Did you ask them or what?

People are very proud to display their tastes usually and I know nearly everyone at my school.

"Hey, what song are you listening to?"

*says something*

"I've heard about them. Do you have any recommendations?"

*says something*

"Thanks, I'll be sure to check those guys out!"
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

I have no "group". Most members of music cliques dislike my broad and open-minded attitude to listening to music. They especially dislike my ability to critically analyse their favourite music and appreciate the evolution of their genre, as well as predict its future trends before they happen.

killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

I have no "group". Most members of music cliques dislike my broad and open-minded attitude to listening to music. They especially dislike my ability to critically analyse their favourite music and appreciate the evolution of their genre, as well as predict its future trends before they happen

Congrats, they most likely don't mind that you think about all that stuff, but that you say it in such a way that you seem like a know-it-all.

Anywhos, Music groups? Could happen. Although rarely do people decide true friends just by music taste.
ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Do I think my friends are idiots because they don't like vocal music? YES. Do I really care? NO. Do I like answering my own questions? YES.

I love a cappella music, which means that there are no instruments and there are only voices. It takes so much more work, talent, and soul to make. Listen to the group Pentatonix to know what I mean. They even did a version of Thrift Shop for all you nonbelievers.

ironblade41
ironblade41
514 posts
Shepherd

Wait... Killersup just called a mod a know-it-all! >:O

I also like rock, indie, and I actually think the band Fun. is pretty cool.

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

Wait... Killersup just called a mod a know-it-all! >:O

Mods are not gods. They're regular people too.

Anywhos, Music groups? Could happen. Although rarely do people decide true friends just by music taste.

That's why I was surprised. O.O Sure, some of the people met each other through music but its not like the first question you ask is going to be about music. My guess is the music represents the character that the people are trying to be. :/
light_chaser
light_chaser
1,044 posts
Peasant

I like classic rock, for example:

lynyrd skynyrd.

led zeppelin.

the police

the beatles

and that's about it.
But, as I have figured out, one of my /favorite/ bands is a crunk band. It's called Family Force 5.

I can't stand:

boy band pop

any non-old kind of rap (run-DMC is epic)

and thats all I can think of...

pangtongshu
pangtongshu
9,808 posts
Jester

Oh, the stoners listen to classic rock, the "Popular" kids are into electronic and the emos are all about metal. Which one are you?

Really? This is nothing like that in my area

Stoners - Rap (Lil Wayne, Gucci, etc kind)
"Popular" - Pop/country
Emos/scene - -core

As for me...my "group" (or friends I mostly hang out with) all have different taste in music

DWF - She listens to dubstep, glitch hop, -core, and hard rock
My bestfriend - Hers are hard to explain...commonly female singers, unheard of bands (I think she is like the only person in our state that listens to 'em..), punkish/emo style
FrozenNinja117 - Alternative Rock
Myself - Primarily heavy metal (or stuff like extreme metal, progressive metal, fusion metal, folk-metal, etc..basically: metal)
Then some others that listen to random assortments...not important for listing

Our constant is the overlying rock category.
Plus, we do have variations in our music choice. Like my electronic music (Kraftwerk, Ratatat, etc) for example
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Congrats, they most likely don't mind that you think about all that stuff, but that you say it in such a way that you seem like a know-it-all.

Well I guess I did write that post in a really smarmy tone so I was asking for it.

Sometimes niche fans really grind my gears when they start labelling everything they don't listen to as crap (i.e. "everything except...&quot. That's precisely when I start being really condescending and uppity, in as public a manner. It's not for that person's edification, I merely aim to demonstrate the absurdity of this wankery in general by showing them how little they really know about music. I know this isn't making me sound any better a person, but a lot of these people talk **** about these things as if they know something, when they don't, and sometimes it's up to people with expert knowledge in the field to set them straight :P
Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

I have too many groups and too little time to delve into deeper music discussion.

Also, it is particularly hard to answer the question, "What type of music do you like?". More recently, I'm in a recurring phase of piano and newly found electro-swing. Though, I still offset with some dubsteppy glitch hop, electro-jazz, and echo-ey pop. This is not including bands I don't know how to classify.

It's easier to just say 'Alternative' and move the discussion to less allotriomorphic subjects.

StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I just listen to whatever comes on the radio. Most of the time these days it's crap. And when the radio music is horrible, I listen to my lovely Beatles and Billy Joel and Simon&Garfunkel music. And when I don't feel like listening to THAT, I listen to the Japanese music my friend put on my iPod, because I have no idea what they're saying but the music is great.
I know at least two of my friends listen to The Beatles, but I'm not sure if that's just us being special or something eveyone does.

xXxDAPRO89xXx
xXxDAPRO89xXx
6,737 posts
Baron

Nope...

My little "clique" I guess you could call it could care less about music these days.. ;D

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

My little "clique" I guess you could call it could care less about music these days.. ;D

Mind if I join that clique? I don't even listen to music except once in a longggg while.

But really, if you went off the reasoning of only hanging around people who like the same thing you do, you would never get to know anybody, or find any other interests.
Showing 1-15 of 35