ForumsThe TavernIs music more about your "Group" now?

35 8367
IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

(Not sure if this is Popular Media or not. Move it if you need to.)

Note: All italics are thinking.

So, while listening to some music a friend (More of an acquaintance but still...) came over and asked what I was listening to. I was listening to some Pink Floyd song (Forgot the name :/). After telling him the name he had this weird look on his face that I just couldn't place. After a small awkward pause he said, "OH! That's the band my Dad likes. Why are you with us? The people that like music are over there dude. "

Wait, because I listen to this music it means that I can't talk to you. Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't know that my music taste has such an affect on my personality.

So, what do you think? After this conversation I spent a week just looking at different groups of people and comparing their musical taste. To my surprise, nearly everyone in a certain group liked the same style of music.

So, do you think music is more about an image that is supposed to represent you more than it is about what you actually like listening to?

Oh, the stoners listen to classic rock, the "Popular" kids are into electronic and the emos are all about metal. Which one are you?

Wait, but I listen to all of those genres!

YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE!

Anyway, just needed to vent and thought it would be a nice topic. Why do people care so much about music taste?

• 35 Replies
thebluerabbit
thebluerabbit
5,346 posts
Farmer

its all really stupid. sometimes music does reflect the persons personality but often it doesnt. its true though that people of the same group (shallow group) will listen to the same music. and it also changes in locations. over here the cool kids used to listen to mizrahi (arab style) music, while the "outcasts" (those who belonged to cool groups but wanted to feel special) listened to metal and rap.

i had like 5 people in my "group" (we werent a group, just friends). i liked emotional melodies from movies, video games and animes, one liked classical music, one like rock n roll and pop and i have no idea what the other 2 liked.

and you dont just like one style of music. i really dont like metal and jazz but i have found a few songs from those categories that i liked.

do you know how many "groups" exist that listen to the same SINGER and not just style? i really do believe its usually people who have no deep traits and have to base their relationships on something like music. i bet half of them know nothing about music or dont even care about music at all

Roger721
Roger721
1,100 posts
Nomad

Hi, folks.

Well, if I were looking for a group solely for the music genre I'd have to look for a long time. People in my country mostly listen to brazilian funk and low-end pop, and I totally despise those kinds of music - pop is not that bad, but brazilian funk is torturing, trust me.

But it seems I naturally avoid people who listen to that music style. And that makes it easy.

My friends group has mixed tastes of music, but they all seem to be similar.

I like videogame soundtracks, alternative rock (i.e. Arcade Fire), punk rock and some other kinds of rock (I like the bands System of a Down, for example), but I can also enjoy electronic and dubstep. I also like classical music.

One of my friends is a die-hard fan of dubstep. The other, likes game soundtracks and Pink Floyd, while another enjoys Dragonforce - which is awesome - and the other likes System of a Down and electronic/dubstep.

My group of friends was formed mostly due to multiplayer games and so, and not because of music genres, but it seems they are not that different. Or at least, as we're friends, we suggest musics to each other, and that've influenced on other's taste.

Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

Here in Iowa, if you don't like country or rock, we'll kill you. Pop/metal/electronic/anythingelse are unheard of here.

However, I like to explore, but only when I'm alone. Don't want no farmer to blast me with his shotgun now.

spikeabc
spikeabc
1,666 posts
Jester

Wait, but I listen to all of those genres!

but i dont listen to any of those...

YOU CAN ONLY CHOOSE ONE!

i dont want to choose any of them...

hmm...
yup...
nah i dont listen to any of that. you only have like 10% of the musical population there, my friend.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Graham: I really like That 1 Guy that you've posted there. The top comment is even respectable and not some stupid YouTube/racist joke. Also that instrument is awesomely versatile and can span multiple genres with ease, massive props to that one guy.

Graham
Graham
8,052 posts
Nomad

The most massive transition between genres I've seen by him is in this video.

The Moon is Disgusting is a slower song overall, so I appealed to posting ButtMachine for sampling.

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

Not really, I like different genre. If I like a song it doesn't matter if it's pop, classical, rock, metal, electronic, new age, etc.
I can't really choose one kind because sometimes I listen to classical music when I read, electronic when I build a castle (CTC2,PP), rock when I clean up my house.
Last time we had snow I played the Four Seasons (Vivaldi), the Winter part. xD

SSTG
SSTG
13,055 posts
Treasurer

I forgot to mention that I listen mostly to my Internet radio. I registered my copy of RadioSure and I can listen to all kind of channels from different countries.
The unregistered version has all the same stations but you can't have more than 20 favorites, that's the only difference I found. I used it for almost 2 years before I payed the $10 fee for registering. They have more than 10 000 stations. xD

IAgreeWithYou
IAgreeWithYou
509 posts
Nomad

hmm...
yup...
nah i dont listen to any of that. you only have like 10% of the musical population there, my friend.

It was more for example's sake. You don't have to take it so literally.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Here in Iowa, if you don't like country or rock, we'll kill you. Pop/metal/electronic/anythingelse are unheard of here.

What if you don't listen to either of those? Do you kill us then? =0

I listen to my police scanner whenever I go anywhere, and whenever I'm at home. Does that make me weird?
killersup10
killersup10
2,739 posts
Blacksmith

Here in Iowa, if you don't like country or rock, we'll kill you.

Isn't ignorance wonderful?
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

What if you don't listen to either of those? Do you kill us then? =0

*Pulls out shotgun*

Isn't ignorance wonderful?

*Loads shotgun*
the_manta
the_manta
4,536 posts
Peasant

Alternative.

I'll listen to whatever, really.

But my favorites all just fit under alternative.

xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

*Pulls out shotgun*

*Turns on police scanner to hear the shots fired call*
pickpocket
pickpocket
5,956 posts
Shepherd

No. Not for me. My best friend is into rap, im into rock. So yeah, it isnt that big of a deal most of the time. I do notice that it is very easy to talk to people who like the same music. They tend to think the same.

Showing 16-30 of 35