Forums

ForumsThe Tavern

What was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 11:41pm

Jacen96

Jacen96

2,235 posts

A couple other things are that I used to believe that Elephant Ears were actual elephant ears, French Fries were from France, Rain was angels taking a leak, Thunder was God bowling, and some other things.

thunder was God bowling and rain was angels taking a leak, interesting, now tell me about your mother. (apparently that's how Freudian thought worked)

also used to think that the middle ages was less than 100 years ago.. I was less than intelligent.

No, it was 2000 years ago.

the problem with relating what you though when you were younger, is for some reason that is what you remember least.

~~~Darth Caedus

Posted Mar 4, '13 at 11:58pm

TheGenovesan

TheGenovesan

66 posts

When I was four, I believed that if I thought hard enough and said the words, "Blue skidood, we can too," i would actually be able to jump into a picture or book. I broke quite a few books that way.

Also, around when I was seven or so, I thought that real life was just a dream. Very Inception-y when I think about it now.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 12:19am

Xzeno

Xzeno

2,082 posts

Okay I've got two of them.

First, when I was in like first grade, I didn't understand the concept of a vacuum. I literally thought that astronauts wore suits because space was filled with something to the affect of space air, which is like normal air, but if you touch it you die. The ozone layer prevents normal earth air from mixing with deadly space air.

I must stress that this wasn't like a gas. It was like literally air, but from space. Because I certainly didn't understand the concept of a gas in a meaningful way, either. Like, I academically knew the states of matter, and that steam was gaseous water and all, but it just didn't translate to a worldview.

Okay, thing number two: when I was little I believed that metal was indestructible. Not in so many words of course. It was never really thought of as a single cogent thought, but the belief informed a lot of my thinking. To me, a beam made of metal could never be bent nor broken, and no force on heaven or earth could penetrate the unbeatable defense of any amount of metal. I thought knights in armor were harmed only by hitting unarmored parts, made necessary by joints. This is because I didn't grasp conservation of momentum.

People stopped using armor because guns were invented, because a bullet, much like space air, would instantly kill anything it hit.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 1:27pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

I too thought metal was indestructible, and Xzeno's bit about knights seemed particularly familiar, but I also thought all metal was steel. I believed that iron,copper,brass etc. were just different words for steel, and that if it wasn't steel colored someone had just painted it.
Number 2: I thought that when mothers gave birth the baby was just kind of squeezed out of the stomach... perhaps through the belly button. Doctors had to be present because SOMEONE had to stitch up the mother afterwards right? I never understood how animals didn't die when they gave birth in the wild. Imagine my surprise when I discovered how birth actually works!
Number 3: I did not realize I could move my eyes independently from my head until I watched an episode of zaboomafoo. The television asserted that Owls, unlike humans, could not move their eyes. I stood up and loudly proclaimed "HUMANS CAN'T MOVE THEIR EYES EITHER!!!" My mum looked at me like I was insane, and I was suddenly struck with the realization that I could look around without moving my head.
Lastly (and assuredly the most embarrassing): I uh... um... kind of maybe.. eh... thought I was a real life jedi. yeah. After I watched star wars episode 1 I forced my parents to allow me to grow a jedi braid like obi-wan... I had it until like 5th grade when my mum paid me to cut it off.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 1:31pm

Squidbears

Squidbears

652 posts

I also forgot to mention that I firmly believed that Pokemon were real creatures. I paid the utmost attention at all times in hopes that I would see the illusive doduo. I was sure that was going to be the one I saw, because a footprint in my driveway looked like a doduo track.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 4:26pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

I also forgot to mention that I firmly believed that Pokemon were real creatures.

That reminded me..

I legitimately thought that Pokemon could be real

-I thought Yu-Gi-Oh (the aspect with the cards becoming holograms and fighting) would happen

-I thought that if I carried either my Yu-Gi-Oh deck or one of my Bayblades around..I was definitely bound to run into someone that would challenge me or I could challenge

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 4:35pm

TheFlash6

TheFlash6

68 posts

I loved animations as a kid like the jungle book and one time I asked my mom: "Is it possible to make the animals like in the Jungle Book?" and she said something like: "Yeah they do on the computers and make them."

Then I thought that she litterly said like they can create it and they pop out all cartoon like out of a computer. Beacuse of that I always wanted a laptop or computer that could use movie making techniques.

The dream of having real cartoon characters is done...but the dream to get the laptop still prevailed...and I finnaly got one. I actually miss things like that as a kid.....;)

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 4:38pm

TheFlash6

TheFlash6

68 posts

Another thing I never believed santa or nuthing like that was real...It's just stupid to think that. But unlike some jerks, I hate ruining that dream for little kids.

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 6:47pm

GhostOfMetal

GhostOfMetal

597 posts

When I would visit my grandmother's house and have to use the bathroom, there was a long hallway without a light. I would always run fast to the bathroom (because we generally visited when it started getting dark out) for fear that a Tyranosaurus rex would look in the window and eat me (I watch Jurassic Park several times as a child. There's a scene where the T-rex looks in a window and sees a child and roars, at least if I remember correctly)

Posted Mar 5, '13 at 7:18pm

Gantic

Gantic

7,200 posts

I used to believe I was an alien sent to Earth on a mission but I had amnesia so I couldn't remember who I was or what my mission was. Maybe I was sent to observe boppins.

Reply to What was the stupidest thing you used to believe as a kid?

You must be logged in to post a reply!