Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Drug Regulation

Posted Sep 2, '13 at 4:43pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

and i find it strange that people think that a drug (any drug) should be allowed to be sold by just any random shop owner.

And what is wrong with a person using a drug responsibly just for how it makes them feel, even if there are not health benefits?

Posted Sep 2, '13 at 5:30pm

Freakenstein

Freakenstein

8,155 posts

(Should I amend the title to better accompany the current discussion on drug use in general..? I don't think there would be a problem...I guess I can do that...right...now...)

I am a little curious on Mage's perspectives on the sale of drugs. Surely there are some drugs that shouldn't be available due to its permanent, highly-detrimental effects (methamphetamines)? We can have heavy regulation upon its sale and use as much as we can, but just one experience with it can already have permanent adverse effects on the human body. Surely at least these drugs must be kept away from the people?

Posted Sep 2, '13 at 7:54pm

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

I am a little curious on Mage's perspectives on the sale of drugs. Surely there are some drugs that shouldn't be available due to its permanent, highly-detrimental effects (methamphetamines)?

I think we should have facilities that not only act as a place to obtain such drugs but double as a place for those who wish to come clean. The sale of any drug would be taxed and the money would go into programs to educated about the effects of drugs and really education in general.

For anyone who would still be fully willing to use such drugs, they will have to do so at this facility, given full disclosure of what the drug will do to them in both written and oral form. They must sign a waver stating they fulling understand what they are doing to themselves. Of course every attempt should be made to dissuade from the decision. I also think perhaps any user might have to give up things such as the ability to drive or raise a family so that the harm is solely on them completely at their consent. Anyone who would knowingly do that to themselves would do so regardless. This would minimize the harm to just that person.

All of this is mostly a rough draft of an idea on how it could be done and does require much fine tuning.

Posted Sep 2, '13 at 8:38pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

464 posts

I think we should have facilities that not only act as a place to obtain such drugs but double as a place for those who wish to come clean. The sale of any drug would be taxed and the money would go into programs to educated about the effects of drugs and really education in general.

For anyone who would still be fully willing to use such drugs, they will have to do so at this facility, given full disclosure of what the drug will do to them in both written and oral form. They must sign a waver stating they fulling understand what they are doing to themselves. Of course every attempt should be made to dissuade from the decision. I also think perhaps any user might have to give up things such as the ability to drive or raise a family so that the harm is solely on them completely at their consent. Anyone who would knowingly do that to themselves would do so regardless. This would minimize the harm to just that person.

All of this is mostly a rough draft of an idea on how it could be done and does require much fine tuning.

You just described real life facilities. I don't remember where exactly, but the government has already set up dozens of the facilities you already mentioned. It is to provide a safe environment to use those drugs, dispensed by the government, and using sterile tools in solitude. This is to prevent over-doses and to slowly get those people off those drugs. Surely, you are familiar with the side effects of stopping heroin use cold turkey. Not only would you need to be hospitalized, it could be deadly. The entire facility is government controlled, all the drugs completely pure, and the drug addicts only get enough to prevent withdrawls.
I would provide evidence, but I have a massive headache right now and I'm about to hit the hay.

Posted Sep 2, '13 at 8:51pm

Maverick4

Maverick4

3,707 posts

Surely, you are familiar with the side effects of stopping heroin use cold turkey

Gives you the shakes. A bunch of guys at my old job were on work release; one of them was a heroin addict who couldn't get enough of it inside, so he paid me 50 dollars to go across the street and buy him a honey bun. The sugar suppossedly helps with it, and I was the only guy who could legally leave the property.

The Fed has said they wouldn't argue with Colorado for legalizing it, so perhaps this will mean full legalization in the future? Or just the Feds stating it as a state's rights issue?

Posted Sep 3, '13 at 4:19am

MageGrayWolf

MageGrayWolf

9,677 posts

Knight

You just described real life facilities. I don't remember where exactly, but the government has already set up dozens of the facilities you already mentioned. It is to provide a safe environment to use those drugs, dispensed by the government, and using sterile tools in solitude. This is to prevent over-doses and to slowly get those people off those drugs. Surely, you are familiar with the side effects of stopping heroin use cold turkey. Not only would you need to be hospitalized, it could be deadly. The entire facility is government controlled, all the drugs completely pure, and the drug addicts only get enough to prevent withdrawls.

Now that you mention it I think I do remember something along those lines. Though what I was proposing was a little different as it wouldn't just be for people in rehab being given the drug to let them down slowly and safely.

Gives you the shakes.

The sudden shock to their system to be without the drug could kill them.

Posted Sep 3, '13 at 4:56am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

And what is wrong with a person using a drug responsibly just for how it makes them feel, even if there are not health benefits?

nothing, but does a drug need to be exploited like a potato for that reason?

we have those facilities here in NL. but little different.
people can get their drugs for free there so that the criminality they cause for obtaining these drugs are not needed anymore. instead for paying for the drugs they have to work 3-4 hours. the usual work is public cleaning or re-sticker products. those mindless jobs, so to say...
it helps with several problems. 1. criminality 2. public drug use and the waste of it. 3. all drugs are used with clean needles and such. 4. when someone go's bad there is medical help nearby. (less deaths cause of it) 5. cleaner city. and 6. work that no1 wants to do gets done.
for this last reason does the government get paid for by the companies delivering the work. and it is enough to pay the drugs with. and then the cycle is round. =)

Posted Sep 3, '13 at 5:01am

partydevil

partydevil

5,097 posts

nothing, but does a drug need to be exploited like a potato for that reason?

i had to add:

making it look like a normal every day product will cause a lot irresponsible use of it. like alcohol. and even more if everyone keeps saying that there is no way that it can be harmful for you. and even that it would benefit a person... cause it really can harm.

Posted Sep 3, '13 at 3:46pm

pangtongshu

pangtongshu

8,676 posts

from link:
"A list of the 10 most notable, common conditions, afflictions and diseases that marijuana has been proven to help."

as i said. yes it can help temporary for people with health problems...
a health body does not benefit from marijuana.

1) It can help as much as ibuprofen, if not more..so why is ibuprofen a better choice/legal while marijuana is not?

2) Listing of the things it helps. Those bolded are what I would personally view as a large factor for its helpfulness in the medical field.
-Treating migraines
-help slow the progression of Alzheimer's (my favorite, b-t dubs)
-stop cancer from spreading
-prevent blindness from glaucoma
-Control epileptic seizures, helps calm Tourette's
-Treats depression
-Lessens side affects from treating Hepatitis C
-Relieves arthritis discomfort
-Treats inflammatory bowel diseases
-Decreases insulin levels in diabetics
-Eases the pain of Multiple Sclerosis

also your 2nd link is about medical marijuana use. i.e. unhealthy people.

....so? Your point?

Posted Sep 3, '13 at 4:31pm

HahiHa

HahiHa

5,043 posts

Knight

....so? Your point?

His point, as I understand and share it, is that healthy people have no medical reason to smoke marijuana, as it not only has medical uses, but can also cause schizophrenia for example. Someone saying "smoking pot is good because it's healthy" most likely just looks for excuses to get high.

Now I'm sure my grandfather could have lived with less pain, and maybe a bit longer, if he had taken medical doses of marijuana. He didn't want because it isn't legal.

Reply to Drug Regulation

You must be logged in to post a reply!