ForumsSupport Forum

[MAIN THREAD] Black Screen <- Read Last Comment

Thread Locked

Posted Dec 16, '13 at 3:47pm

LightWarriorK

LightWarriorK

48 posts

they would be sacrificing the whole site by eliminating their source of revenue

I'm not saying they should eliminate the ads, that's just an example of what it would take for them to be martyrs.  I already suggested a long delay bypass as a practical solution.

However, it'd hardly be eliminating their revenue.  They lasted for how many years without Google Ads?  YouTube has been blocked for me all that time.  Yet I still played here, and they got ad revenue from me.  Other ads still load fine, the problem is this mandatory, high-bandwidth ad service they're now with.  I'm not saying it's greed, because I don't know AG's financials, but I know enough of how upper management of companies work to know that if Google Ads is throwing enough money at them, they're likely not going to care as much about the few people they abandon for it.

The fact that my arguments don't get responded to by the Admins leads me to believe that the site has no intention of fixing the problem, and that it must affect so few users that they don't even see it as one.  Flipping off those of us without a choice in the matter, and forcing us away to other sites simply mustn't affect their bottom line enough.  I wish I was wrong.  I still hope I'm wrong.  But I don't think I am.

It looks like I'll be playing GemCraft Chapter 2 when it comes to Kongregate, around April, instead of January when it comes here.  Been waiting 2 years for it, so what's another 3 months?  Not that it matters, I'm just one of few out of millions, and I'm not a big community member.  I won't be missed, but I leave my disappointment here for others to see.  This whole thread may one day be a stain of shame for AG, and I hope it's learned from.

Posted Dec 16, '13 at 5:04pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

However, it'd hardly be eliminating their revenue.  They lasted for how many years without Google Ads?

As more games flow into the site, it requires a larger server to host those games. When the amount of people triples, it requires a larger server to handle so many people. Servers cost money. Money comes from advertisements. The site has grown massive in the last few years. Removing ads from Google would force Dan and the other Admins to pay out of their pockets to keep the site afloat.

Posted Dec 17, '13 at 9:59am

LightWarriorK

LightWarriorK

48 posts

You forgot to mention that the additional traffic on the site generates more ad revenue.  That's an important part, since even without Google Ads, advertisement revenue does increase with traffic.

Regardless, it's a moot point.  I already said I'm not advocating removing Google Ads, so long as a bypass can be found.  I know they need revenue, and so long as I'm not hamstrung by the ads, I have no issue.

Posted Dec 17, '13 at 6:08pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

I'd also like to point out that the only reason I posted on this thread was because I am also experiencing the black screen of death. I have no parental controls, and I can access Youtube normally. I have only had it since yesterday, I have no idea why.

Posted Dec 18, '13 at 1:18pm

LightWarriorK

LightWarriorK

48 posts

Stinkyjim, make sure you post answers to Ferret's questions on page 10.  While YouTube is the major known source of this problem, there seem to be a few things that can cause it.  Even if my problem is never fixed, I would hope yours could be.

The only thing I can think of off the top of my head is if you're not in the US, and if the YouTube ad that's trying to play is blocked by your region.

Posted Dec 18, '13 at 4:50pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

Very well:

[quote
] -If you refresh the page a few times, does it start working? Or even if you refresh a dozen times, it's the same result.
-Where are you playing from. Home, work, school?
-Which browsers have you tried?
-Is this for all games, or some games?
-What anti-virus, firewall, security software do you currently have installed?
-Can you access and watch YouTube videos normally?
-What region are you located in?
-When did these problems start happening?
-When there is a black screen, do you hear anything or is it silent?
-Can you play MMOs on our website?
-Is your internet connection direct to the wall, or is it going through a router of some sort?
-Do you use any sort of ad blocking software?

Refreshing does nothing
I am playing from home
I have only tried Internet Explorer
All games are like this
I have Norton 360 installed, but disabling it didn't help
I can access Youtube normally
I'm living in the United States, Massachusetts to be exact
The problem started 2 days ago
The black screen is silent.
I can play MMOs (but I would rather not :P )
I use a wireless router
I don't use any ad blocking software (I prefer to support the sites I visit)

Posted Dec 18, '13 at 4:51pm

stinkyjim

stinkyjim

465 posts

Very well:

-If you refresh the page a few times, does it start working? Or even if you refresh a dozen times, it's the same result.
-Where are you playing from. Home, work, school?
-Which browsers have you tried?
-Is this for all games, or some games?
-What anti-virus, firewall, security software do you currently have installed?
-Can you access and watch YouTube videos normally?
-What region are you located in?
-When did these problems start happening?
-When there is a black screen, do you hear anything or is it silent?
-Can you play MMOs on our website?
-Is your internet connection direct to the wall, or is it going through a router of some sort?
-Do you use any sort of ad blocking software?

Refreshing does nothing
I am playing from home
I have only tried Internet Explorer
All games are like this
I have Norton 360 installed, but disabling it didn't help
I can access Youtube normally
I'm living in the United States, Massachusetts to be exact
The problem started 2 days ago
The black screen is silent.
I can play MMOs (but I would rather not :P )
I use a wireless router
I don't use any ad blocking software (I prefer to support the sites I visit)

*Sorry for double posting, just fixing the mistake I made above. When are we gonna get an edit button?

Posted Dec 19, '13 at 5:37pm

bob111111

bob111111

1 post

if a game is black is because you tube is unalloyed so that the game add can't show.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 4:37am

TheGamerTuna

TheGamerTuna

5 posts

From what I've read in to, it just sounds like your version of flash was corrupted upon updating. It's pretty common, I suggest removing it completely and re-downloading it.

Posted Dec 21, '13 at 4:39am

MacII

MacII

1,369 posts

From what I've read in to, it just sounds like your version of flash was corrupted upon updating. It's pretty common, I suggest removing it completely and re-downloading it.

While that may sometimes help to resolve some issues, and it can't hurt to try, if you read back a little on this thread, that is not what causes this general issue.