even i changed from Chrome to firefox, the games still show black for me,

Black screen for every single game on armorgames.com

I noticed some comments saying the same problem, guess i'm not the only one

• 221 Replies
LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

I would just like to know if armor games are trying to get this sorted or have they given up on all the people who are in school/work and cannot change settings

Given the lack of response, Racx, I think it's safe to assume that the issue IS sorted [from their prospective] and the result IS to give up on us. While some may have more complex issues with flash and blocking, the main issue is extremely simple. The fact that it's still around after several months means a) AG has no power to bypass GoogleAds, likely contractually, and/or b) they have no wish to do so.

Either way, we're screwed, and they're ok with that.
Racx
Racx
13 posts
Blacksmith

Yeah sadly it does seem that way. I do understand if they cannot do it due to a contractual agreement but what might be worth doing to still fulfill the contract they could build a script that if the add does not display the user must watch an in game add instead. Or something like that

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

In response to the above, I guess what should really happen is for Google to reconsider the way they have this YouTube linkback set up.

Maybe their clients could bring the matter to their attention & try and throw in some weight there... Has ArmorGames done so?

Has this issue not hit the web more broadly by now? I can't say I've checked, nor do I usually hang out in such circles, virtually. You'd think it might be heatedly discussed on some mod/admin forums, if there exists such a thing. A Google Ads newsgroup? Or somesuch.

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure Google needs to do anything. They own Youtube in the first place. So if users can't get to Youtube because of some blocking software, it's not really Google's problem.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Hmmm, talk about coming full circle, eh

But blocking software is up to end users, and it is in their hands to do something about it.

I think the main gripe here has been with people being on systems not their own, that stop them from connecting to YouTube. And hence, from playing any games that will only start after those ads have finished. And that they have no control over.

(How come it doesn't affect someone like me, who blocks the ads & so doesn't get to see no YouTube ads either, is currently beyond me. I think I had a theory on it, but it's escaped me for the moment Something to do with the finesses of how various such software interacts with sites and with one another, no doubt.)

What's new about it is Google Ads didn't used to be set up that way. It's become an issue since it has.

Or at least, that's what I've surmised so far.

Arkeyo
Arkeyo
148 posts
King

I'm glad I am not the only one with this problem. For a few milliseconds I can see something loading and a skip button in the right corner which I can use if I wait 5 seconds. But then... black -.-

SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

Oh, I agree with you, MacII, about the basics of the whole problem. I just don't see asking Google Ads to change it "back the way it was" (not linking to Youtube) is going to work, since it's not a problem on their end, but on the users end since they're (we're) the ones blocking Youtube in the first place.

The only "immediate" solutions I see are either the users have to change by unblocking it (which most can't do) or Armor Games has to change by using something other than Google Ads (which I don't think they want to do). The one other solution is that Google Ads will try something else in the future and not link to Youtube ads, but who knows if and when that will happen.

From your comments, I assume that you allow Youtube, just merely block ads (Google Ads?) as a whole? I've seen tutorials on how to block/skip the Youtube videos from showing, perhaps that's what you're doing? You're still going to the Youtube site but performing the "skip"? If you can adjust your settings to block Youtube and then try a game, that would say for sure.

MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I assume that you allow Youtube, just merely block ads

Yes, that's correct. May well be the simple answer, indeed. (What's more, I have AdBlock disabled for ArmorGames, but as I've described elsewhere, I reckon it's probably Ghostery that still weeds out a lot of stuff for me. Or somesuch.)

If you can adjust your settings to block Youtube and then try a game

Yes, I could look into that a next time, it's a good idea. You know how it is with many of these tools and settings, it becomes a constellation of tweaks and things over the days/months/years, that you're hardly conscious of later & so making it hard to retrace your steps.

I think and in that knowledge, I'd also mostly just shrug my shoulders & suck it up if I can't do something on a given machine not my own. (Ask the average network admin, and they will have other things on their mind. I used to be involved with one, and no, contrary to appearances maybe getting your cutesy startup animation to work was actually not on top of her her priority list.) Maybe settle for a standalone installation of Pong ;-P Duly muted, of course.

Anyhows Spear, I agree the chances of Google mending their ways are probably astronomically close to zilch. Then again if no one ever complains to them (but sucks it all up rather, indeed)... At least it'd be barking up the proper tree, you'd think.
SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

I'd also mostly just shrug my shoulders & suck it up if I can't do something on a given machine not my own.

Oh, I am. I've been going to Kongregate as they largely have the same games as here. Sometimes a video ad plays but it must not be through Google Ads/Youtube as I can see that one before playing a game.

Then again if no one ever complains to them...

Yeah, but what would one say? "Dear Google, can you please not link to Youtube for your ads as my computer blocks Youtube and I cannot play games?" What would be *your* reaction if you were working for them and received that?
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

Oh, I am.

Yes, to be clear: My sarcasm above was directed at "you" in general, the plural you; one, all of us, people in general.

I wasn't making fun of you. Honest

Yeah, but what would one say?

Heheh, indeed, coming from end users, why bother.

I was thinking if at all, complaints by their clients though (i.e., those involved with their Google Ads scheme) & of course provided by the tons of them, preferably, just might make a dent in their thinking.

Emphasis might Hold your hopes up on any of it indeed I wouldn't. The question remains, so what's AG to do about it. Give up on Google Ads? Like you said, not very likely, or not if I were in their shoes. Maybe I really would drop them a note, dear sirs/ma'ams, it has come to our attention that many of our users such-and-so, and we thought we might as well point this out to you. Many feathers up y'r behind (as we Dutch say), etc.
SpearAndSword
SpearAndSword
41 posts
Nomad

Oooooh. Yes, feedback from their clients might help in that regard.

Layze_rng
Layze_rng
1 posts
Nomad

Browsers behave differently for me.
Windows 8.1 64bit (yeeee... uhh... if you can avoid it, do so :/ )
IE 11.0.2 - AD loads, Black screen and no game load after.
Opera 18.0 - AD loads. Black screen and no game load after.
Firefox 26.0 - ****load of addons and security measurements - No AD loads, Black screen and no game load.
Chrome 32.0.blah - AD loads. Black screen for some amount of time. then the game suddenly loads. after page refresh the AD loads again (of course) and after that the almost one minute long black screen is gone.

trivia: did you know that the stupid AD is freaking 49 seconds long? and its ALWAYS THE SAME FOR ME! if anyone ever suggests again to me to play some tank general game or whatever its called in english i might just thinking about cutting 'em up for good. thanks for that.

not so trivia: sometimes on firefox (maybe some of the other non working browsers too but i CBA to test this now) i see the game actual loading up and once loaded its going black screen. guess thats RIP AG for me. i will definitely NOT remove any of my security feats and i will definitely NOT use chrome (did you notice it call home? might be a reason why its the only one working, eh?) nor will i even remotely consider in uninstalling Antivirus or Firewall for a freaking gaming/relaxing website on the net! (seriously, whats wrong with you to even suggest such a thing?!?) Too bad i loose some game saves, but who cares. its just games

fubar23
fubar23
1 posts
Farmer

I can not get anything from your website to work any more. i have the latest flash player , a brand new computer and i have tried every browser i can find .The most i get is that stupid world of warplanes video that i have now seen a million times and the a blanck screen of some sort - either a black screen on chrome or a white screen on internet explorer. all sexcurity and pop up blockers have been disabled . i think its time to look for another website for gaming. too bad , ive been a faithful AG user for years now

LightWarriorK
LightWarriorK
48 posts
Shepherd

fubar, make sure you answer all of Ferret's questions on Page 10: http://armorgames.com/community/thread/11947483/main-thread-black-screen-answer-page-10-questions/page/10

If you can watch YouTube videos, you likely don't have the primary cause of this black screen problem, so there is some other cause for you, it seems.

Tayre
Tayre
2 posts
Peasant

AG is losing users because of this problem.

Showing 151-165 of 221