ForumsWEPRshark finning=bad thing

79 19072
ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

Shark finning is now allowed almost anywhere in the world,and I know what everyone is thinking..so what. Sharks actually help with our eco system by eating small plankton,people think sharks are mass murderers but really only have killed 5 people a year,elephants kill more than sharks do! lol I have a feeling no1 whould ever hear this but,save the sharks!

• 79 Replies
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

exactly i think it is a little disrespectful of carlie to call shark attacks a little nip when people lose their limbs and sometimes their lives.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I dont exactly think its fair that they are keeping the oceans healthy to the sick ones that get eaten. I mean by that logic u could interperet that by saying we should kill people with infectious diseases to keep the worlds human population healthy.

No no no. you cannot compare fish and humans like this. In the ocean, there is no medicine. If a fish gets sick, it spreads its sickness and slowly dies. In the human world, we have medicines to treat diseases. The way to treat disease in the ocean, is to cut it off before it has a chance to spread.

How am i being naiive about it. I am not trying to be innocent of the truth. I ahve seen a few shark attack programs ad the people in them loose thier limbs or have horriffic scars on their bodies. I am scared that, something as horrible as that could happen to me due to a certain animal then i belive i have the right to be afraid of that animal without being accused of ignorance and naiiveity.

Those shows are completely biased, and made to make you scare. More people die from falling coconuts in a years than people get attacked by sharks. Are you scared of coconuts? More people die from sand tunnel cave-ins that they build at the beach, than people get attacked by sharks. Are you scared to build a tunnel in the sand at the beach.

Im sorry i just dont agree with that statement at all. Just because they live in the ocean doesnt give them the right to attck and possibly kill people. By that logic you could say anyone who comes into my house i have the right to do with as i wish because its where i live. Thats just crazy. And you saying sharks takin a nip out of people

Yes, it does give them the right. We are going into THEIR environment. If a shark sprouted legs and started chasing you down the street, you would probably shoot it. It is going into your environment, which is unnatural to it, and threatening you.

If you think that is a little nip then you are the one who is naive.

For a shark, that IS a nip. A shark could easily kill a human, but they don't. They take a test bite, realize we don't taste like a seal or turtle, and swim away.

Most people who are attacked by a shark will admit that it was not the fault of the shark, and will say they went into the sharks environment, and that is one of the risks you take. I have heard interviews with victims or shark attacks, and most hold sharks as an honorable species.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

No no no. you cannot compare fish and humans like this. In the ocean, there is no medicine. If a fish gets sick, it spreads its sickness and slowly dies. In the human world, we have medicines to treat diseases. The way to treat disease in the ocean, is to cut it off before it has a chance to spread.

That is a valid point but i doubt the shark sees it that way just an easy meal.

Those shows are completely biased, and made to make you scare. More people die from falling coconuts in a years than people get attacked by sharks. Are you scared of coconuts?

I am aware of this. I am half Nigerian. Where my village is where i lived for 3 years many of the inhabitants worked for the local palm oil company. When they had to log down the trees already there some of which were coconut trees. Coconuts often dropped off wen the workers were chainsawing them due to the vibrations and 3 people died from it. So yes i am scared of coconuts falling from trees.

Are you scared to build a tunnel in the sand at the beach.

I personally would be because i get claustrophobic but i see your point.

It is going into your environment, which is unnatural to it, and threatening you.

Most people who go swimming and get attacked by sharks arent threatening them. They are quite often surfers and holiday makers so how are they threatening them.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Woody, let me clarify here, I am not calling YOU ignorant or naive. I am just saying that your fear and hate for sharks is. I don't want you to get offended because of that, so I just wanted to clarify that these were not meant towards your intelligence.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Well, if all the sharks were overfished for their fins, there would be booms of the fish that were prey to those sharks. The oceans would overpopulate and eventually die out.

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Most people who are attacked by a shark will admit that it was not the fault of the shark, and will say they went into the sharks environment, and that is one of the risks you take. I have heard interviews with victims or shark attacks, and most hold sharks as an honorable species.

Carlie, first off, IF you even get attacked by a shark, it would be because you are harming it, it has babies and it is being protective, or the shark can scent your blood. And, what makes sharks so honorable? I am not hating on sharks, but why would they be treated differently from, lets say a bass? A fish is a fish and a shark could do wonderful things different from a bass but it is all in some bodies opinion.
~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
But to add the the topic, shark finning is an execrable thing to do. Yes, it does make a good soup but why would you kill an innocent animal just for humane pleasure. It is just a wrong thing and it is not a good way to go. And even if the shark doesn't die from the painful horrors of having its fin cut off, but in order for the shark to swim, it needs it's fin and without it, the shark will sink to the bottom.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Most people who go swimming and get attacked by sharks arent threatening them. They are quite often surfers and holiday makers so how are they threatening them.

I am just saying that we are going into their environment, and encroaching upon their space. Surfers and swimmers get attacked because they look like food to the sharks. If you look at a surfer with his legs sprawled out from below, it kinda looks like a turtle. A swimmer or diver splashing around at the surface, kinda looks like an injured seal. These are cases of mistaken identity.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Well, if all the sharks were overfished for their fins, there would be booms of the fish that were prey to those sharks. The oceans would overpopulate and eventually die out.

Yes, they help keep the populations of the oceans in check. They are an apex predator, very crucial to the health of the food chain. If they get killed off, the entire food chain crumbles.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Carlie, first off, IF you even get attacked by a shark, it would be because you are harming it, it has babies and it is being protective, or the shark can scent your blood. And, what makes sharks so honorable? I am not hating on sharks, but why would they be treated differently from, lets say a bass? A fish is a fish and a shark could do wonderful things different from a bass but it is all in some bodies opinion.

This is not why sharks attack, this is more descriptive of say... a bear. Sharks are fish, and like fish, they give birth and keep swimming. They do not carry on a relationship with their progeny. The reason that they attack is because of mistaken identity, as I explained in the post before yours, but I think you posted before seeing it

I am not saying they should be honored above other animals. All fish are amazing. All I was saying, is that they are not devious man eaters.
Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Sharks bit my face off. True story. Let the finning begin.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Carlie, first off, IF you even get attacked by a shark, it would be because you are harming it, it has babies and it is being protective, or the shark can scent your blood.

Well, 3 things:
1) Why would you mess with a shark when you know it can bite your leg off in 2 seconds?
2) Sharks don't care for their young after birth. They lay eggs and leave them to hatch on their own.
3) Yes, sharks can scent blood from miles away. But they don't want human blood, they want seal or fish blood.
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

But sharks do attack once they scent blood, have babies around them, or you are doing something to it that it is getting ticked off. I have studied about sharks for a while and once the shark taste/scents blood, then they will attack because they think of it as food. And once they attack, then you get a victim of a shark attack (if they survive). But overall, sharks can attack for about anything. It is just unknown when they will attack and if you are one of the few to be attacked, then you were doing something dumb.

All fish are amazing.

I couldn't agree with you any more!
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Well, 3 things:
1) Why would you mess with a shark when you know it can bite your leg off in 2 seconds?
2) Sharks don't care for their young after birth. They lay eggs and leave them to hatch on their own.
3) Yes, sharks can scent blood from miles away. But they don't want human blood, they want seal or fish blood.

Someone did their research ;-) Right on!!!!

Sharks bit my face off. True story. Let the finning begin.

Hahahaha... go draw a mudkip Klaus XD
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

But sharks do attack once they scent blood, have babies around them, or you are doing something to it that it is getting ticked off. I have studied about sharks for a while and once the shark taste/scents blood, then they will attack because they think of it as food. And once they attack, then you get a victim of a shark attack (if they survive). But overall, sharks can attack for about anything. It is just unknown when they will attack and if you are one of the few to be attacked, then you were doing something dumb.

What?! Is it opposite day, because didn't get the memo...
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Ahhh, a fellow marine biologist eh?

But I agree, that if you were attacked, you probably were not following the rules. There are specific time and conditions in which you should not go in the water, or activities that are known to attract sharks. It is mostly people doing these things that get attacked:
+ Someone splashing around near the surface
+ Going in the water at low visibility (high turbidity conditions, dawn, dusk)
+ Going in the water near a river mouth
+ Spear fishing, and keeping the dead fish around the waist instead of in the bucked above the water (never understood this one, seems so easy to prevent!)
Showing 31-45 of 79