ForumsWEPRshark finning=bad thing

79 19073
ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

Shark finning is now allowed almost anywhere in the world,and I know what everyone is thinking..so what. Sharks actually help with our eco system by eating small plankton,people think sharks are mass murderers but really only have killed 5 people a year,elephants kill more than sharks do! lol I have a feeling no1 whould ever hear this but,save the sharks!

• 79 Replies
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

But I agree, that if you were attacked, you probably were not following the rules. There are specific time and conditions in which you should not go in the water, or activities that are known to attract sharks. It is mostly people doing these things that get attacked:
+ Someone splashing around near the surface
+ Going in the water at low visibility (high turbidity conditions, dawn, dusk)
+ Going in the water near a river mouth
+ Spear fishing, and keeping the dead fish around the waist instead of in the bucked above the water (never understood this one, seems so easy to prevent!)

Yes, I am a fellow marine biologist.

That is one long quote but I do concur. But how could you be attacked if you were just in the shore and doing nothing. Take Florida for example, they are a lot of shore area but some of it maybe be infested with sharks (baby sharks, not the huge, killer sharks) and people still swim in those shores. So, what really draws sharks toward you if you are just swimming?
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

So, what really draws sharks toward you if you are just swimming?

It is the noise of the splashing I think that attacks them. Because injured animals normally will splash around on the surface is something is wrong. So if they hear splashing, that signals to them that an animal might be injured nearby.

Some people have been attacked in even waist high water. I was at this lecture on sharks and safety, and the guys was saying that this young woman and her boyfriend were playing around in the water. They were splashing around, only about waist high, but that was enough to attract a shark. Granted, this was also around sunset/night, which is not a good time to be splashing around in the water.
Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

It is the noise of the splashing I think that attacks them. Because injured animals normally will splash around on the surface is something is wrong. So if they hear splashing, that signals to them that an animal might be injured nearby.

So noise of a little baby could be heard miles away by a shark. I think only the close ones could here it and "see it" happening if they were near the surface but not if you were at the bottom which many sharks are really located. And very true about how you want to stay away from water (ocean water) during night or sundown.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Well, many sharks come very far in near the shore, especially at night. You can find some of the species very shallow, in less than 5 feet of water. And I am talking biiiig sharks too.

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

Well, big sharks do come out closer to the shore at night but how would have know when people are around. They can't just pop out of the water with another shark and say "Hey look, theres one! I think he is splashing so that is a good reason to eat him. Lets go!" They have to be able to scent blood near them or something that has a strong scent that would bring a shark. But, if you went to the shark, then that is a different story.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Sound travels very well underwater, faster than through air I do believe. So if they are making enough noise, it would probably travel pretty far.

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

That would be the case but what would you do if you and a few friends were just relaxing in the water. How would a shark attack you when you are just relaxing?

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

They probably wouldn't. Unless you were in deep enough water where they could see you from below, and mistake your silhouette for something else.

Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

That's why you always hear about surfers geting pieces bitten out of their boards and limbs...

Pegasus
Pegasus
106 posts
Nomad

See, that is what I have been trying to get at. Sharks don't attack unless you are close to them and they are hungry, they are being protective, or they scent something. Ad if you are close up, then you have a stringer chance of being attacked.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

See, that is what I have been trying to get at. Sharks don't attack unless you are close to them and they are hungry, they are being protective, or they scent something. Ad if you are close up, then you have a stringer chance of being attacked.

Well yes, they have to be close enough for you to be able to attract their attention.
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Sharks don't attack unless you are close to them and they are hungry, they are being protective, or they scent something.

Usually, sharks don't have anything to be protective about...
They are at the top of their food chain, they don't raise their young, and they don't usually get territorial.
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Well, if a shark was just fed and you wer'nt bleeding or doing anything to it, it would probably ignore you.

Usually, sharks don't have anything to be protective about...
They are at the top of their food chain, they don't raise their young, and they don't usually get territorial.

Actually, they have to be protective of their life. Lol.
Agent_86
Agent_86
2,132 posts
Nomad

Actually, they have to be protective of their life. Lol.

Unless you threaten it(and only an idiot would do that), a shark wouldn't feel threatened by a human near the shore. And if an idiot did antagonize a shark, that is natural selection at work.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

And if an idiot did antagonize a shark, that is natural selection at work.

Haha, I would have to agree with that!
Showing 46-60 of 79