ForumsWEPRshark finning=bad thing

79 19070
ialwayswin
ialwayswin
777 posts
Jester

Shark finning is now allowed almost anywhere in the world,and I know what everyone is thinking..so what. Sharks actually help with our eco system by eating small plankton,people think sharks are mass murderers but really only have killed 5 people a year,elephants kill more than sharks do! lol I have a feeling no1 whould ever hear this but,save the sharks!

• 79 Replies
gman1000
gman1000
977 posts
Nomad

Shark Finning is disgusting. Save the sharks! Did you know cocounuts kill more people a year than sharks?

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

I actually did know that gman! Only about 50 people a year in the entire world get attacked by sharks. If even 10% of those that are attacked die, it is a high year for shark deaths. Just think about that... 5 deaths from shark attacks would be a HIGH year!

GregWeeler
GregWeeler
259 posts
Nomad

That is just too horrible to even imagine people doing.

This would be like taking a person, cutting all his limbs off, and setting him in the water. What's gonna happen? A very slow, painful death. And we do it for what? SOUP!

If this is going to happen at all they need some limitations on it, and a humane way of doing it. Also to go with what I said above, it's just like drowning. The sharks have to move to get oxygen through their gills. That is why they don't sleep. If they can't move, they can't breath, thus, a very slow, painful death.

Just HORRIBLE

Grey
Grey
281 posts
Nomad

A shark would eat you if it had the chance.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

personally i would not miss sharks if they were gone but i can see how it would have wider implications on the food chain, so i guess i should be more sympathetic, however when you have seen jaws its hard to be.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

A shark would eat you if it had the chance.

That's the thing though, it wouldn't! It is movies like Jaws that make use believe this, but they are actually very serene fish. They hardly ever attack humans, and think about just how many people go in the ocean every day all over the world.

personally i would not miss sharks if they were gone but i can see how it would have wider implications on the food chain, so i guess i should be more sympathetic, however when you have seen jaws its hard to be.

Jaws is completely untrue, and it saddens me that people take what they see in this movie and apply it to their ideas of how sharks act.

Sharks are frieeeeends!!!

How many of you guys, who are saying that sharks only hurt people, have actually had an experience of being in the water with a shark? I would guess you haven't. I used to be scared of sharks too, but then I educated myself on them. Its amazing what a little learning can do to help get rid of your fears.
http://img98.imageshack.us/img98/6388/rayandsharklf3.jpg

I have had people come up to me and say that sharks and rays like to kill people. Does it look like there is any danger in here? Look at the ray, and all of those sharks in the background. Seems pretty safe to me!!
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

yes but they are not the aggressive species of shark. Ok let me rephrase that. I wouldnt miss Great Whites Tiger Sharks or Hammerheads. Those are the evil ones. And what about that Aussie naturist/snake charmer guy who was ironically killed by a ray last year.

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

In that tank with me, were hammerheads and a tiger shark. So still, even with those sharks, you have nothing to worry about Yea it is a little daunting, but they won't do anything to you. Sharks do not waste the energy to bring down healthy prey. They only go after sick or injured fish. They try to expend the least amount of energy possible in bringing down prey. So it doesn't make sense for them to want to kill a human, who is healthy and will fight back. Its just too much work for the shark.

And as far as Steve Irwin goes, that was a freak accident. Rays rarely user their barbs. This is because it can take a few months for them to regenerate. So if they use them, they are defenseless for that entire time. They only use their barbs as a last resort. The only reason that Steve Irwin was killed, was because the ray got spooked and got him in the one place that would cause death. In fact, if he has not pulled the barb out, and kept it in until he was able to get to a hospital, he would have survived. But it was pulling it out that caused him to die.

I think in all of recorded history, only 17 people total have been killed by sting rays. It is very very rare, and often the consequence of a freak accident.

"Shark attacks: Do you refuse to go near the movie Jaws for fear that you'll never go back in the water? You're not alone, as many Americans fear getting killed by a shark.

According to the International Shark Attack File (ISAF), though, only 1,909 confirmed shark attacks have occurred around the world--between 1580 and 2003! Of these, 737 happened in the United States, and 38 people died as a result. That said, what are your real odds of being attacked by a shark? One in 11.5 million, says the ISAF. Being killed by a shark? Zero in 264.1 million."
-The Six Most Feared but Least Likely Causes of Death

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Sharks do not waste the energy to bring down healthy prey.

That means sharks are both cowardly a quality i dislike and clever. Maybye too clever for my liking.

They only go after sick or injured fish

Sharks are also ruthless if this is true, another quality which i dont like.

They try to expend the least amount of energy possible in bringing down prey. So it doesn't make sense for them to want to kill a human, who is healthy and will fight back. Its just too much work for the shark.

That is just plain lazy another quality i dislike.

The only reason that Steve Irwin was killed, was because the ray got spooked and got him in the one place that would cause death

Ok so wot did Steve Irwin do to scare the ray exactly? Im sick and tired of people saying sharks and stuff like that defend themselves, they are friggin huge and have massive teeth, what do they think we are gonna do as humans and why are they so scared of us?

In fact, if he has not pulled the barb out, and kept it in until he was able to get to a hospital, he would have survived. But it was pulling it out that caused him to die.

I dont exactly think it was his fault for pulling the barb out. I probably would have you wouldnt want to go around with a huge barb sticking out of your chest. That still doesnt exactly reassure me aboutthe safety of ray barbs it still killed him regardless of the barbs location.

I think in all of recorded history, only 17 people total have been killed by sting rays. It is very very rare, and often the consequence of a freak accident.

I will concede that rays arent that big a problem but its the sharks that i hate.

"Shark attacks: Do you refuse to go near the movie Jaws for fear that you'll never go back in the water? You're not alone, as many Americans fear getting killed by a shark.

Im not American, Im English with no remotely dangerous animals in my vicinity but im still scared of sharks can u blame me? Thats how good that film was!

only 1,909 confirmed shark attacks have occurred around the world--between 1580 and 2003!

ok first of all regardless of the period of time involved for an animal that lives in a different habitat to humans thats still a lot of attacks. The second thing is these are only the confirmed shark attacks. How many more do u think have occured in remote Pacific islands or in America or in Australia during the early time period. Do u rele think an aboriginie would think il write down the fact my cuz got munched on because i want people in hundreds of years time to use it as statistics to back up their argument. I dont think so.

So to sum up sharks are cowardly, ruthless, lazy and too clever for their own good. On top of that they have massive teeth and for some reason get scared by humans and so attack them?? If you are scared of something you swim away you dont rip its leg/arm off. In conclusion i hate sharks.
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Wow, Woody. I think you are just trying to be controversial, because nothing in your post at all had any evidence, or any background. So you hate something because you don't understand it? Now that is just ignorance.

That means sharks are both cowardly a quality i dislike and clever. Maybye too clever for my liking.

This does not mean they are cowardly. They fight when they have to, they are just not the agressive man eating beasts everyone thinks they are.

Sharks are also ruthless if this is true, another quality which i dont like.

Because they take out the sick fish, doesn't make them ruthless. The fact that they do this plays a very important role in the oceans ecosystem. Because they eat the sick and injured fish, they are helping prevent the spread of disease through fish populations. They are also helping clean the water of dying fish. It is a very important role, in essence, they help keep the populations of the ocean healthy.

That is just plain lazy another quality i dislike.

It is actually extremely smart. Sharks are powerhouses, they can use massive amounts of energy when they need to. But why waste it?

Ok so wot did Steve Irwin do to scare the ray exactly? Im sick and tired of people saying sharks and stuff like that defend themselves, they are friggin huge and have massive teeth, what do they think we are gonna do as humans and why are they so scared of us?

He jumped on top of it. If I was swimming around, and something jumped on top of me, I think it would scare the crap out of me too.

Im not American, Im English with no remotely dangerous animals in my vicinity but im still scared of sharks can u blame me? Thats how good that film was!

Yes, I can blame you for this. You fail to educate yourself on the matter, and therefore your fear is founded on ignorance and naivety. So yes, this fear is your fault.

So to sum up sharks are cowardly, ruthless, lazy and too clever for their own good. On top of that they have massive teeth and for some reason get scared by humans and so attack them?? If you are scared of something you swim away you dont rip its leg/arm off. In conclusion i hate sharks.

Sharks are none of those things that you said. Making uneducated conclusions on a species that you have not interacted with, and not taken the time to educate yourself on, makes your opinions unfounded. I wasn't saying that sharks attack us because they are scared, this is what happens when people get stung by rays. Sharks attack humans because they mistake them for their natural food in low visibility. Most of the shark attacks that happen are when the water is churned up, and people are splashing around like a injured seal.

Sharks have been on this earth for 450 million years, humans as we know it have been around for what... maybe 200,000 years? Sharks are amazing creatures which are awesomely adapted to their environment, and have survived past the dinosaurs. They have been here much longer than us, and the ocean is their environment. Whenever someone gets attacked by a shark, it is their own fault, NOT the sharks. Whenever you go into the ocean, you are at the mercy of its power and its inhabitants. If a shark takes a nip outta you, it is your own fault.
BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

sharks are awesome and if they went extinct I'd have to put the beatdown on the people resposible(did I spell that right?)

Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

The thing is, we need to 'ut the beatdown' on them now, before they go extinct.

BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

I can do that, i'm longing for a fight, it's so boring in seattle

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

They are also helping clean the water of dying fish. It is a very important role, in essence, they help keep the populations of the ocean healthy.

I dont exactly think its fair that they are keeping the oceans healthy to the sick ones that get eaten. I mean by that logic u could interperet that by saying we should kill people with infectious diseases to keep the worlds human population healthy.

He jumped on top of it. If I was swimming around, and something jumped on top of me, I think it would scare the crap out of me too.

That is fair enough, i didnt know he jumped on top of it.

Yes, I can blame you for this. You fail to educate yourself on the matter, and therefore your fear is founded on ignorance and naivety. So yes, this fear is your fault.

How am i being naiive about it. I am not trying to be innocent of the truth. I ahve seen a few shark attack programs ad the people in them loose thier limbs or have horriffic scars on their bodies. I am scared that, something as horrible as that could happen to me due to a certain animal then i belive i have the right to be afraid of that animal without being accused of ignorance and naiiveity.

Sharks are amazing creatures which are awesomely adapted to their environment

This just means they are very effective at surviving. Something i admire a species for but it doenst mean i have to like them.

Whenever someone gets attacked by a shark, it is their own fault, NOT the sharks. Whenever you go into the ocean, you are at the mercy of its power and its inhabitants. If a shark takes a nip outta you, it is your own fault.

Im sorry i just dont agree with that statement at all. Just because they live in the ocean doesnt give them the right to attck and possibly kill people. By that logic you could say anyone who comes into my house i have the right to do with as i wish because its where i live. Thats just crazy. And you saying sharks takin a nip out of people

http://www.underwatertimes.com/news2/great_white_shark_attack_leg_wound_south_africa.jpg

If you think that is a little nip then you are the one who is naive.
BASHA
BASHA
660 posts
Nomad

that looks painful

Showing 16-30 of 79