ForumsThe Tavern10 guy thoughts.

35 9490
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

I just had a thought that may sound like i was high when i had it, but i swear i was clear.

I looked at my hand and thought - we dont have claws. We dont have big fangs or jaw. No hard tail or spikes on our back. We are not "built" to kill other things. Yet we do. We made our own "spikes" and "claws" and "tails".
Think about it.

Post your own "high" thoughts or any other random ideas you have. Feel free to talk!

• 35 Replies
MacII
MacII
1,315 posts
Shepherd

I don't get what makes these thoughts guy thoughts, specifically?

clhkph
clhkph
121 posts
Blacksmith

Btw different topic along the lines of dreams, has anyone else been in the state of mind where your thoughts become your dreams? For example I'd be thinking about how I'd like a car, and it'd be boxed shaped, and a box would appear in my mind crystal clear, then I'd add components to it completely conscious making exactly what I wanted, while having that subconscious dream state as well.

Yes, I've had those kinds of thoughts, it just happens but I don't really think about it.

On the topic of dreams and such, like what R2D2 said, have you ever really thought about life? Even when I was small(3rd grade) I had a flexible mind and thought: Hey, is this life real?; Maybe I'm the only one on the whole world, maybe there isn't a world but I'm just dreaming...dreaming about living.. maybe there are aliens testing my mind and I'm trapped in a room, maybe I AM the alien... What is this dimension that my mind has created, this flexible, false reality that is called "living"?

This is why I'm a social outcast XD
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,988 posts
Grand Duke

Solipsism is a little splinter poking away inconveniently in my mind sometime; oh how that encapsulated the idea.

Somewhat49
Somewhat49
1,607 posts
Nomad

On the topic of dreams and such, like what R2D2 said, have you ever really thought about life? Even when I was small(3rd grade) I had a flexible mind and thought: Hey, is this life real?; Maybe I'm the only one on the whole world, maybe there isn't a world but I'm just dreaming...dreaming about living.. maybe there are aliens testing my mind and I'm trapped in a room, maybe I AM the alien... What is this dimension that my mind has created, this flexible, false reality that is called "living"?

This is why I'm a social outcast XD

I used to think about how real is life is heavily influenced by how you perceive it.

Also I always had it where my dreams were alot more unclear than 'real life' so I never really thought that maybe my real life is a dream, but I did think that maybe I'm spectating on the lives of other real people when I'd have dreams where I'm not controlling any body and just watching.

Also there the thought that maybe I'm in something like the Truman Show since sometimes luck is just too strong to be realistic.
Like I'd be playing video games when I'm not supposed to be, then my game turns off all of the sudden a minute before my parents walk in.
xeano321
xeano321
3,152 posts
Farmer

Hey, is this life real?; Maybe I'm the only one on the whole world, maybe there isn't a world but I'm just dreaming...dreaming about living.. maybe there are aliens testing my mind and I'm trapped in a room, maybe I AM the alien... What is this dimension that my mind has created, this flexible, false reality that is called "living"

In my humble opinion, I believe that such a possibility is not possible. For example, wouldn't you have knowledge of being an alien? Wouldn't you remember something about that? I mean, even when dreaming, I've realized that events that occur day to day are frequently recalled when dreaming.
Salvidian
Salvidian
4,170 posts
Farmer

I can't write anything meaningful without taking a long, hot shower first. For the past 5 or 6 years, I've had to take a shower and mentally write any essays, arguments or even longer AG posts before writing them for real. For some reason the environment provides a decent catalyst, which I suspect is a form of flow with relation to some sort of grounding. It helps me brainstorm and categorize ideas.

So, yes, I suppose I've thought about a lot of different "guy thoughts" in my lifetime.

Charlie506
Charlie506
1,298 posts
Nomad

Turn off the voloume on a TV when someone walks in.. :P

Freakenstein
Freakenstein
9,507 posts
Jester

Those allergens we're inhaling are totally plant sperm. Says [10] Biologist guy.

aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Those allergens we're inhaling are totally plant sperm. Says [10] Biologist guy.

I find it really interesting that for wind dispersed species, the strategy is to expel so much sperm that it becomes statistically probable that some of the sperm will just happen to land on the right part of a different tree of the same species. It's like if whenever you wanted to send a letter to someone, you would just throw trillions of letters into the air and hope that one of them managed to get blown into the correct mailbox.
Riptizoid101
Riptizoid101
6,257 posts
Farmer

It's like if whenever you wanted to send a letter to someone, you would just throw trillions of letters into the air and hope that one of them managed to get blown into the correct mailbox.

Eh I don't know... that analogy seems a bit off. Plants aren't restrained to sending 'mail' to a single person. So long as the person that gets the mail is named, say, 'Bob', it's all good. Otherwise, having a single person receive the mail is kind of a low probability. And we have to thank the black and yellow coated mailmen that make honey for delivering the mail, no?

On a another note, I'm always wondering why there had not been, or at least to our knowledge, of another species have intelligence comparable to us. It seems strange that only select mammals and more specifically, select primates managed to branch off and gain this immense intelligence that allowed us to dominate everything else in the food chain. Why weren't there other intelligent species? Like reptiles or fishmen? And how would things be different if there were others that could compete us or, I dare say, were even smarter than us?

I don't know, just a bit of food for thought.
aknerd
aknerd
1,416 posts
Peasant

Eh I don't know... that analogy seems a bit off. Plants aren't restrained to sending 'mail' to a single person. So long as the person that gets the mail is named, say, 'Bob', it's all good. Otherwise, having a single person receive the mail is kind of a low probability. And we have to thank the black and yellow coated mailmen that make honey for delivering the mail, no?

Depends on the tree! If you are a rare species of tree in a forest (which most species in a typical diverse forest are), there may only be one tree of the same species within range! It might even take many seasons to pollinate that particular tree. Though I do get your point- trees don't try to pollinate specific individuals (as far as we know...). I suppose in my analogy everything was scaled down so that each mailing pair represented an entire species. (Also, not all species of trees use insects- a lot literally rely on wind to plow bits of pollen into the female parts of other trees. Pine trees being a classic example)

I don't know, just a bit of food for thought.

A going theory (and I'm not going to cite my sources cause this aint the WEPR) is that we, or rather our ancestors, ate/killed them all. Food for thought indeed (get it... ).

I imagine that if we had a competing species, we would probably try to subjugate or kill all of them.
StormWalker
StormWalker
8,232 posts
Jester

I'm not a guy, but I shall post anyway.
First, http://assets.amuniversal.com/0642e7242509102d94d7001438c0f03b

Second, what if gray is just a color our eyes haven't adjusted to see? Because, you know, there are butterflies and mantis shrimp who see more than us. It sounds interesting.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

...Why is this called 10 guy thoughts?
I may not be a guy but I'm gonna post here anyways

I looked at my hand and thought - we dont have claws. We dont have big fangs or jaw. No hard tail or spikes on our back. We are not "built" to kill other things. Yet we do. We made our own "spikes" and "claws" and "tails".
Think about it.

Isn't that the whole intelligence thing? We evolved into smarter beings because we realized that you don't NEED to have claws or big fangs to survive. The making of tools is the whole turning point in evolution, no? It's 'rimitive' to tear into a slab of ribs like an animal.

And, there are also animals of prey like rabbits, that are weaker than most there predators in certain ways, but manage to survive.

Since they don't have any real form of defense, that's why they can run/hop pretty darn fast, and it's also why we have the term "breed like rabbits".

What is food? You can eat bread until we fill our belly and feel just the same as after eating a huge steak.
Also, if water is so importent to us, why it dont taste good for us? You whould guese that our brain will make it taste good for our surviveling.

Different foods do different things. Yes bread can fill you up, but you don't get the same nutrients and stuff from bread that you can a big steak. You eat different foods to give you different benefits.
Aren't we composed of like 70% water? Maybe we don't recognize the difference between our composition when we are tasting it.

On a another note, I'm always wondering why there had not been, or at least to our knowledge, of another species have intelligence comparable to us. It seems strange that only select mammals and more specifically, select primates managed to branch off and gain this immense intelligence that allowed us to dominate everything else in the food chain. Why weren't there other intelligent species? Like reptiles or fishmen? And how would things be different if there were others that could compete us or, I dare say, were even smarter than us?

To our knowledge. We perceive things differently from other beings. We can't really understand exactly how other beings perceive us. We think that we are the reigning species. There could be other things out there that have taken one look at us and thrown us in the same intelligence category as apes, and not even bothered to take the time for contact. It doesn't have to be an alien thing or anything, but who is to say there aren't other things living among us that we are just too stupid to see?
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

Why weren't there other intelligent species? Like reptiles or fishmen?

Oh, the reptillians exist, they're just far smarter than we are and haven't been spotted.
danielo
danielo
1,773 posts
Peasant

Google "10 guy". Its not literaly te guy thoughts. It a meme......

Showing 16-30 of 35