ForumsGamesGemCraft CS: Let's talk about nerfs... (Peter, read this)

109 24484
ThomasSpeedrunner
ThomasSpeedrunner
155 posts
Nomad

Okay, so I've heard that V1.0.16 apparently makes bloodbound unamplifiable and "fixes" venom shrines.

What's funny is that neither of these were broken in the first place, nor was anything else, IIRC.

A list of everything that happened to kill the game:
- V1.0.7: Wizard level capped at 10k.
- V1.0.10: Gem enhancement shrines no longer given by sparks (possibly)
- V1.0.12: Shadows called to the field by the Chasing Shadows trait may now be held off until the player is in endurance mode
- V1.0.14: Shrines of Venom and Blades max power decreased and limited to 50% of target hp
- V1.0.16 (supposedly): Bloodbound no longer amplifiable (killed the game)

Can't you see? These nerfs caused the game to slowly decrease in popularity to the point where even the pros don't want to play. Lemme tell you something: If neither the beginners NOR the pros want to play, you've killed your game with something you did. It's pretty obvious what killed the game here. Just undo all the nerfs and figure out new ways to add difficulty. Nerfing things, as seen here, will not get you too far.

• 109 Replies
Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

Bloodbound is best if you are going to be doing manafarming.

Poolbound is best if you are going through stages rapidly for fast SC or to beat a stage at a difficulty level you have not done yet.

They both have their uses.

Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

By the way, when I was doing that particular manafarm yesterday, I also kept track of the hits required for each level of the Bloodbound gems. I then fed that data to Psorek, who came up with a formula for it.

Hits required to reach a given level X is 30 * 1.65 ^ (X-2).

To reach level 29, for example, you would need 30 * 1.65 ^(29-2), or 22,345,381 hits.

The highest hit level I recorded was needing 165,624,098 hits to reach level 33. At that point my Mana Pool was level 50 or 51 ... and it would take 824,803,655,368 hits (7 if they round down) to reach a Bloodbound level 50 according to the formula.

Without using Permafreeze, I do not expect you will ever see a Hit Level greater than the Pool Level.

Kreistor
Kreistor
34 posts
Farmer

@Astrosnak
"Poolbound is best if you are going through stages rapidly for fast SC"

Okay, that seems an odd statement. For SC I use E3 set to Haunting with 7 Shadows. Send all waves early and x9 speed. Three minutes top, costs 82 SC, generates 360, typically, 280 min and 660 is my high. Enough for a full trait Haunting run in 15 minutes. Why would you need a Manafarm for SC?

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

cause you can then go to wave 300 with white manafarm and get 3x more shadow cores in ~2x more time.

Astroshak
Astroshak
268 posts
Peasant

You could do as Psorek suggests, Kreistor, but you seem to have misread something.

I said that Bloodbound is best for manafarming. Not Poolbound, Bloodbound.

Poolbound is good for when you are NOT going to manafarm, but are just going to blow through the stage quickly. If you are just planning on blowing through a stage quickly, for a few hundred SC, why manafarm? Set up a good killing tower with Poolbound kill gem and yellow amps.

Kreistor
Kreistor
34 posts
Farmer

@psorek

"3x more shadow cores in ~2x more time."

Since I'm done at wave 55, it'll take a lot longer than 2x the time: you're talking 6x the waves by going to 300.

Admittedly I'm wasting time. I could do it faster. I'm weaving gems and building Amps I probably don't even need.

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

9x speed, no amps, white/orange/red/blue gem upgraded by pressing 'U'. Enough to reach g35 and wave 300.

stefansterren
stefansterren
7 posts
Farmer

What I don't get is why nerf everything rather first fixing all major bugs/issues that the game has. If you cant handle it, hire someone or something or ask for help. I mean really....

psorek
psorek
447 posts
Jester

Look at .17 update. I think he has read this subject, it's step in a good direction

Kreistor
Kreistor
34 posts
Farmer

@psorek

Yep, I cut 1.5 minutes out of my time by dropping back to an unamped tower with no weaving. The tower alone does work... I just need to pick a map where I can place the tower more central. The far left tower location I used on E3 can't reach the right side.

And I would be surprised if he doesn't read every thread.

Vammatar
Vammatar
7 posts
Peasant

Ultimately, IMO, what we have here is a true masterpiece of quality over playability.

It looks nice, it's got a lot of 'clever' new features and..... it plays like a brick.

I've finished the game recently and, unlike Labyrinth that I played over and over to get to lvl 6200+, I feel no desire whatsoever to continue.

Who wants to spend endless days trying to grind their way to insane numbers when the ability to do so has been nerfed (for nerfed read ruined).to the point of ridicule.

Nice game, bit too short, can't wait for Labyrinth 2!!!!!!

Vammatar
Vammatar
7 posts
Peasant

The old cynic in me has just piped up.

Wouldn't it be surprising if, 5 minutes before the Steam release in October, all of the abilities that have been nerfed out of existence that appeal to so many of us, suddenly reappeared.

A less charitable man than myself might see that as a way of tempting a large number of us to 'buy' the game twice.

Just a thought.

January42
January42
2 posts
Peasant

It's basically impossible to reach the high levels people were talking about before now isn't it?

The thing is, the game becomes kinda a grind later on, so I was looking forward to setting up a good mana farm and then being able to explore around a bit. Considering the levels you would need to do it, I'm not sure you could even all those things exploits, as your mostly done then anyway. I'm at level 889 and 84 fields explored, but don't have the bound gems yet.

I was looking forward to having the gameplay change later on. Now, not sure I have the patience to finish this one.

smario
smario
178 posts
Shepherd

sometimes the game is really unfair.

i just played L6 on glaring difficulty. carapace 7, swarmlings 7, orblets 7.
xp x 16.2

all was fine, but with the last wave came the flying grey beast with over 60.000.000 hp. i nearly managed to destroy it, but i was defeated.
that's not really fun to say the least ...

fractalman
fractalman
636 posts
Nomad

level 889 is more than enough to speed through most maps. especially if you have premium (and thus red).

p.s. I'm kinda hoping to see how far I can go without premium...how many exp are needed for level 3000?

Showing 61-75 of 109